Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce
Even lower-tier cards such as the AA platinum have similar travel benefits except for no medical evacuation insurance and lower limits on baggage delay protection and travel accident insurance. Shopping benefits may be different too but I didn't compare those since the question was about the travel insurances.
There's also a big difference between the low-annual-fee cards and the high-annual-fee cards in Trip Delay protection (3 hours vs. 12 hours).

Going forward, the features Prestige has that AA Exec doesn't are Priority Pass, $250 airline fee reimbursement, and hotel fourth night free. AA Exec has Admirals Club membership and the possibility of earning some EQMs. Aside from those things and rewards, the cards are pretty similar.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by DrForce
The travel benefits for the AA Executive and Prestige look identical. Both cards offer:
  • Rental Car Insurance - Max coverage $100,000 for up to a 31 day rental period
  • Medical Evacuation - $100,000 maximum
  • Trip Cancellation and Interruption protection - $5000 max per covered traveler/trip
  • Trip Delay protection - $500 maximum coverage/covered traveler/trip
  • Baggage delay protection - $500 maximum coverage/covered traveler/trip
  • Lost baggage protection - $3000 maximum coverage/covered traveler/trip
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Travel and emergency assistance
  • Worldwide travel accident insurance - $1,000,000 per person maximum

Even lower-tier cards such as the AA platinum have similar travel benefits except for no medical evacuation insurance and lower limits on baggage delay protection and travel accident insurance. Shopping benefits may be different too but I didn't compare those since the question was about the travel insurances.
I've yet to locate any differences in the insurance benefits between the Prestige and the AA plat. The other Citi cards vary (not just in $ amounts), ie baggage & trip delay are 3hrs each with the Prestige/AA Exec, but only 6hrs/12hrs for the Premier (and not available on others like the Preferred/AT&T). Missed event ticket protection is only available on the Prestige/AA Exec, and the roadside assistance benefit has different wording for the Prestige/AA than the other cards (suggesting they pay for a 10mile tow).
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA
Thanks to all those that listed out the similarities and differences. I appreciated the input.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thumbs down I know the feeling...

Originally Posted by finster869
Geez, I am the kiss of death. I just obtained this card 10 days ago, because I liked the Admirals Club access, 1.6 AA flights and free golf. I guess I will enjoy it for a year, then look for a better option in July of 2017.
Just got the card a few months ago to use as my business travel card (primarily because I fly American for biz travel). I've already used both the Admirals Club and PP lounges, as well as the $250 credit. I felt like the $450 AF was worth it for these services, in additional to the point multipliers.

With Citi's latest announcement, I really can't justify an AF of this price point. I am incredibly disappointed with the decision to remove many of the services I signed up for and will likely cancel before the next year's AF is processed. Not sure what I will replace it with, yet.

Also want to get that Global Entry credit while I still can (I was already TSA-PRE).

Dang.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by spycygrl
Just got the card a few months ago to use as my business travel card (primarily because I fly American for biz travel). I've already used both the Admirals Club and PP lounges, as well as the $250 credit. I felt like the $450 AF was worth it for these services, in additional to the point multipliers.

With Citi's latest announcement, I really can't justify an AF of this price point. I am incredibly disappointed with the decision to remove many of the services I signed up for and will likely cancel before the next year's AF is processed. Not sure what I will replace it with, yet.

Also want to get that Global Entry credit while I still can (I was already TSA-PRE).

Dang.
Of course, the annual fee isn't really $450, since you are literally "gifted" a $250 credit that can be applied directly to airfare. But people seem to feel better complaining by quoting the $450.

Just out of curiosity, even if you cancel after the first year, can you point me to anywhere else you could obtain 1 year of Admiral's club membership for effectively $200?

Also, many have saved literally multiple years worth of the $200 annual fee just on the fourth night free hotel benefit alone.

Look, always disappointing to have benefits taken away, but anyone looking at the benefits this card was offering for what was effectively a $200 annual fee had to know it was unsustainable...

Regards
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by scubadu
Of course, the annual fee isn't really $450, since you are literally "gifted" a $250 credit that can be applied directly to airfare. But people seem to feel better complaining by quoting the $450.
Yep, I get that, but it did seem like there was some chatter in this thread about whether it would still be credited for airfare or only "incidentals" (like AMEX Platinum does). Did that get resolved?

Just out of curiosity, even if you cancel after the first year, can you point me to anywhere else you could obtain 1 year of Admiral's club membership for effectively $200?
This is definitely a good point and I don't believe I was complaining about my first year of AC at all. I've been a huge fan of this card and have told many people about it. I'm just disappointed that the benefit is going away since the "1 year of Admiral's club membership for effectively $200" is the primary reason I got the card.

Also, many have saved literally multiple years worth of the $200 annual fee just on the fourth night free hotel benefit alone.
I have never used this benefit to date, since, primarily, I use this card for business and am either never staying 4 nights in a single city or am being reimbursed for my hotel expenses. I appreciate others find this benefit compelling, but it was not one of the reasons I chose this card, initially.

Look, always disappointing to have benefits taken away, but anyone looking at the benefits this card was offering for what was effectively a $200 annual fee had to know it was unsustainable...
That may be, but since I only found about this card by reading The Points Guy's card comparison for travel benefits cards, I wasn't aware of how long the benefit had already stood. AA did a survey about this a few months ago (which I responded to) and I know everyone was saying that it seemed like they were going to do away with the AC benefit, so it's true that it's not a total surprise. I just think it's unfortunate that they did.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Yep, I get that, but it did seem like there was some chatter in this thread about whether it would still be credited for airfare or only "incidentals" (like AMEX Platinum does). Did that get resolved?
There was some confusion on this. I think that at one point the benefit was $200 and just for incidentals; or maybe people were confusing it with AmEx. But Citi has been quite clear that that is not the case currently, and there is a whole thread with a wiki and reports of tickets et al working on multiple airlines.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... there was some chatter in this thread about whether it would still be credited for airfare or only "incidentals" (like AMEX Platinum does). Did that get resolved?
The letter you should have received from Citi says only: The following benefits of your Citi Prestige card will remain unchanged: Your annual $250 Air Travel Credit. I think we can take "unchanged" at face value because the letter did carefully explain the changes to the 4+ Night hotel benefit. If they were tinkering with the type of expenses eligible for reimbursement, this would have been the occasion to explain.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:44 pm

Our purchase of tickets on AA to Cabo resulted in the $250 being credited to our account within like 3 days (this was very recent, we haven't had the card that long either)

This is definitely a good point and I don't believe I was complaining about my first year of AC at all. I've been a huge fan of this card and have told many people about it. I'm just disappointed that the benefit is going away since the "1 year of Admiral's club membership for effectively $200" is the primary reason I got the card.
Completely understand but thems the breaks. This travel game is always moving and never stagnant. Though some here love to lash out out the credit card companies, I would not be surprised if AA had some say in this benefit being removed, not just Citi (for reasons i won't drag into this thread)

I have never used this benefit to date, since, primarily, I use this card for business and am either never staying 4 nights in a single city or am being reimbursed for my hotel expenses. I appreciate others find this benefit compelling, but it was not one of the reasons I chose this card, initially.
Fair enough. But you never travel for leisure? Seriously? I'd encourage you to explore this benefit a bit more. This forum (in a another thread) has some interesting and creative ways to maximize the value of this benefit.

That may be, but since I only found about this card by reading The Points Guy's card comparison for travel benefits cards, I wasn't aware of how long the benefit had already stood. AA did a survey about this a few months ago (which I responded to) and I know everyone was saying that it seemed like they were going to do away with the AC benefit, so it's true that it's not a total surprise. I just think it's unfortunate that they did.
Again, fair enough. But, your not knowing about it until late in the game doesn't mean the game was not underway.

To be clear, I don't at all mean to make light of your disappointment/frustration. My wife and I primarily got the card for AC access as well. But, in today's rapidly changing travel/loyalty/benefits programs I'm finding that it's better to plan for the worse... and assume that is what you will get. News from the world of travels programs and benefits these does is rarely of the good kind...

Regards
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Fair enough. But you never travel for leisure? Seriously? I'd encourage you to explore this benefit a bit more. This forum (in a another thread) has some interesting and creative ways to maximize the value of this benefit.
Believe it or not, I was in the same boat concerning the 4th night benefit. For leisure travel, I was either in
- a sightseeing mode where I spend less than 3 full days in any one city
- a relaxing mode where I spend a week or more in a VRBO arrangement, for the lower price, the space, and the kitchen

The latter of course is not eligible for the 4th night benefit. And now that have recently retired on the beach, it will be far less frequent.

Granted, I am just starting to re-think the former. I used to be in a cover-as-much ground-as-possible mode, to maximize use of the airfare and the vacation time. Now that my time is free, my travel budget is higher, and I'm chasing after EQMs, it is a different story.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:41 pm

Good points, all, scubadu.

Our purchase of tickets on AA to Cabo resulted in the $250 being credited to our account within like 3 days (this was very recent, we haven't had the card that long either)
I know this is currently a credit for actual airfare (I was one of the people who commented in that other thread when mine posted for an AA flight). But, I wasn't sure if folks were saying that after June 2017, it would only be for incidentals. I think that's where my confusion was coming in.

I am like the poster beneath yours who rarely is in a single city for more than 3 nights on leisure travel and, if I am, we, traditionally, rent a house/apartment. I'm not saying I will NEVER use it (I well might), but it wasn't one of the reasons I signed up for the card. I will definitely check out that other thread, though!

To be clear, I don't at all mean to make light of your disappointment/frustration. My wife and I primarily got the card for AC access as well. But, in today's rapidly changing travel/loyalty/benefits programs I'm finding that it's better to plan for the worse... and assume that is what you will get. News from the world of travels programs and benefits these does is rarely of the good kind...
I appreciate that. And don't want to just be a whiner jumping on the bandwagon. I may find that the card still has value to me outside of the AC membership, but if I need to purchase my own membership after 2017, it may make sense to see what else is out there at that time.

Thank you for all of the feedback, however. I really do appreciate it.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:43 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mia
The letter you should have received from Citi says only: The following benefits of your Citi Prestige card will remain unchanged: Your annual $250 Air Travel Credit. I think we can take "unchanged" at face value because the letter did carefully explain the changes to the 4+ Night hotel benefit. If they were tinkering with the type of expenses eligible for reimbursement, this would have been the occasion to explain.
Ah! You read that letter much more carefully than I, mia! That makes a lot of sense.

Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:20 pm

No more 50k offer on this card?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Bloggers were obnoxiously posting for weeks about the offer changing on this one, so I'm not surprised.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
No more 50k offer on this card?
You don't come here much do you?

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.