Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/16: New changes that will take effect on 7/23.
  • 4th night free bookable online at thankyou.com (benefit applied as discount at checkout)
  • Cash out TY at 1 cpp
  • metal card
  • 75,000 TY for $7,500 spend signup bonus

1. The following benefits will be changed effective July 23, 2017:

- Loss of AA Admirals Club Access (Effectively immediately if the account is opened on or after 09/01/2016. See Post 296.

- $0.0125 per each TY points for airfare redemptions at thankyou.com.

- Loss of Complimentary International & Domestic Golf

- 4th Night benefit will be based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit.

2. $100 Annual Fee Reduction will be extended to Citi Priority if you are currently a Citigold client and you are impacted by the increase in minimum balance and downgrade.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Master Card Need a higher level of service to conter VISA infinite

Not on the topic:

Master Card Need a higher level of service to conter VISA infinite. Chase and VISA infinite are generating a lot of business lately. CITI and MASTER card are very behind, and losing business too.

Ritz Calton VISA infinite (and Chase UNITED Club) will provide me better lounge services than CITI prestige does. I don't have a real reason to keep the prestige card after 3 years.

CITI and Master Card really need to do something big.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by ylord789
Not on the topic:

Master Card Need a higher level of service to conter VISA infinite. Chase and VISA infinite are generating a lot of business lately. CITI and MASTER card are very behind, and losing business too.

Ritz Calton VISA infinite (and Chase UNITED Club) will provide me better lounge services than CITI prestige does. I don't have a real reason to keep the prestige card after 3 years.

CITI and Master Card really need to do something big.
Isn't World Elite similar to Visa Infinite? And World similar to Visa Signature?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DrForce
Isn't World Elite similar to Visa Infinite? And World similar to Visa Signature?
Yes. VISA Infinite is the catch-up level to match World Elite. Neither MasterCard nor VISA seems to have any real control over what the issuing banks do with these brands. I daresay that within three years every VISA issuer will have an Infinite product, and the feature set will be diluted, but there could be some entertaining TV commercials .
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:24 am

Outside of the USA the highest levels are

VISA - Infinite
MasterCard - Black

Now that the Visa in the USA is starting to issue Infinite cards hopefully they will update the website to reflect this. Not sure if Signature level will now fall in line under Infinite in the pecking order.

For example Citi Prestige in AUS is a Visa Infinite product.

https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/cred...s_prestige.htm

World Elite is the highest level MasterCard issued in the USA. In Brasil, Paraguay and other countries in the Rest of World (ROW) MasterCard Black is the highest level issued. Not to be confused with the MasterCard Black Luxury product offered by Barclays in the USA. I believe that for now WorldElite (USA) = Black (ROW). For some reason USA cards have had different names for similar levels in (ROW).

One benefit of World Elite / Black level MasterCard is the lounge at GRU run by MasterCard.

https://www.priceless.com/en-us/tour...eed/offer.html
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
I can't think of any real benefits on MC world Elites. Right now, it seems that VISA infinite does have some real perks, $100 rebate on USA reservations is quite exciting.

Originally Posted by mia
Yes. VISA Infinite is the catch-up level to match World Elite. Neither MasterCard nor VISA seems to have any real control over what the issuing banks do with these brands. I daresay that within three years every VISA issuer will have an Infinite product, and the feature set will be diluted, but there could be some entertaining TV commercials .
Unless banks take away or modify the $100 rebate, it is hard for me to imagine that banks give away VISA infinite to the mass. Some smart people will (ab)use this perk to the far extremes, resulting somebody losing big money.

Originally Posted by AAdmiral
Outside of the USA the highest levels are

VISA - Infinite
MasterCard - Black
if Signature level will now fall in line under Infinite in the pecking order.

For example Citi Prestige in AUS is a Visa Infinite product.

Now that the Visa in the USA is starting to issue Infinite cards hopefully they will update the website to reflect this. Not sure
https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/cred...s_prestige.htm

World Elite is the highest level MasterCard issued in the USA. In Brasil, Paraguay and other countries in the Rest of World (ROW) MasterCard Black is the highest level issued. Not to be confused with the MasterCard Black Luxury product offered by Barclays in the USA. I believe that for now WorldElite (USA) = Black (ROW). For some reason USA cards have had different names for similar levels in (ROW).

One benefit of World Elite / Black level MasterCard is the lounge at GRU run by MasterCard.

https://www.priceless.com/en-us/tour...eed/offer.html
Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA
Unless banks take away or modify the $100 rebate, it is hard for me to imagine that banks give away VISA infinite to the mass.
It seems this has already happened with the Chase Reserve.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I can't think of any real benefits on MC world Elites. Right now, it seems that VISA infinite does have some real perks, $100 rebate on USA reservations is quite exciting.
About that: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...fare-discount/
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
NB: Contrary to what I had previously reported, DoC has determined that AC access is the only benefit which is immediately lost for those who apply Sep 1 or later; they lose the other benefits in Jul 2017 same as everyone else. Wiki updated.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Hi everyone. I'm new to the thread, and unless they up the benefits, I'll be converting this to another Citi card when renewal comes up in May. My JPMR card is better in virtually every way for the same price.

I won't be booking a flight on AA before that time. Would it make sense to transfer my points to AA directly for a reduced value or hold onto them (if even possible) by converting to a ThankYou Preferred? I expected to use the 1.6¢/point buy, but it doesn't look like that is going to be possible in my window.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:05 am
mia

Originally Posted by schalliol
....Would it make sense to transfer my points to AA directly ....
This is not an option.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Oh, that's no fun. I thought I could do that 1:1 at least. Well, if I can't spend them by the time renewal comes up, can I convert the card to a Preferred and not lose anything? Is there something better I can do with the points?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:19 am
mia

... can I convert the card to a Preferred and not lose anything?
You won't lose the points, but you will lose the ability to transfer to airlines, Hilton and the higher redemption value when used to pay for travel.

How is it that you are confident that the JPMR card is better in virtually every way when it appears you are not very familiar with the features of this card, which can pay for itself many times over just by using the hotel benefit?

In any event, it sounds as if you want to review this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...derations.html
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:22 am

Thanks for the link on that. I guess the real reason I wanted to post here was to find out if we're sure when the 1.6¢ goes away in the event none of the other options are close. Basically, I only am needing to check that thread because they broke this card.

My guess is they wouldn't have done this if they knew the CSR/JPMR were coming. It's hard to imagine staying with this card unless you're going to frequent the (valuable) 4th night free.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:06 am

My guess is they wouldn't have done this if they knew the CSR/JPMR were coming. It's hard to imagine staying with this card unless you're going to frequent the (valuable) 4th night free.
I couldn't agree more with your statement. Timing was interesting with the Chase launch. Given that I'm well beyond 5/24, obtaining the CSR is not an option for me anytime soon, so I'll likely stick with the Citi Prestige card for yet another year. It more than pays for itself with the 4th night free, but I definitely have halted my spending on the card with the upcoming loss of the 1.6 redemption on AA. Such a shame, as this was my primary travel card.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Chase not superior in every way. On the contrary, CSR not really superior in anyway without the 100k signup bonus.

I'll probably keep the following and downgrade CSR to CSP.

AMEX Plat for Centurion Lounge, one night stands at FHR hotels.

Prestige for airline (trip delay handy during weekly summer thunderstorms and shorter delay window that CSR), electronics for 2 year extended warranty, 4th night free, car rental outside US up to $100k.

CSR for car rental coverage within US but probably downgrade to CSP as most car rental in US is covered by CSP. Prestige gives 2x for restaurants while CSR gives 3. In order to justify the ($55) between CSP and CSR vs just putting restaurants on Prestige, I will have to charge $5500 in restaurants to keep CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.