Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by earny
I don't know if I got an op up or birthday upgrade but I was upgraded to J on my last flight Hkg-sfo. I do most of my travels to Asia and within Asia on CX but credit all my miles to AA.
Probably an oversale upgrade. If CX start to birthday upgrade all OW elites that's too much upgrades for them to swallow.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by earny
I don't know if I got an op up or birthday upgrade but I was upgraded to J on my last flight Hkg-sfo. I do most of my travels to Asia and within Asia on CX but credit all my miles to AA.
Yes I agree with CathayBoy. Its not related to your birthday but rather to your EXP status and Y was oversold.

B'day upgrades are processed ahead of time in accordance to CX Marco Polo Silver , Gold, Diamond and up status' only. Other partner programmes do not influence CX's decision.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by lingua101
Got my Birthday upgrade on my sin-hkg.... I saw it before I went to airport that my seat has been changed to 12K..

At airport it is onfirmed, the agent said I ot birthday upgrade but oly sin-hkg. I asked what about hkg-pvg. He said that is not controlled by them and asked me to check in HKG.

Side track a bit....
- this agent is ather messy. Every time when I flew CX the connecting flight BP and lounge in HKG were put in older. He did not do this. Also I asked him for the lounge invitation in SIN n HKG
- also why at night CX in SIN shift from counter 1 to 9
In the Wing now.... Saw that my HKG-PVG seat has been cvhanged to 21A (from 39A), but when I entered the lounge the staff did not say anything....
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:49 am

In the Wing now.... Saw that my HKG-PVG seat has been cvhanged to 21A (from 39A), but when I entered the lounge the staff did not say anything....
Probably the machine will "Beep" when you go boarding
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Yep - i have never once been given the new/upgraded boarding pass in the lounge even when I could see online that i had been upgraded. (except the one time when I asked "i saw online that my seat assignment had changed", just for kicks).
Always at check-in, or at the gate.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Yep - i have never once been given the new/upgraded boarding pass in the lounge even when I could see online that i had been upgraded. (except the one time when I asked "i saw online that my seat assignment had changed", just for kicks).
Yup got a new boarding pass at the gate. It is 77W, so it has a new C class. Will post my comment on CX new C class seperately in different threat
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:11 am

Yup got a new boarding pass at the gate. It is 77W, so it has a new C class. Will post my comment on CX new C class seperately in different threat
This happened to me once. Checked-in and got a Y ticket, went on MPC and saw my seat is now in the row 20s. Went up to the lounge agent (in the Wing F when they had a little desk) and said I got a new J seat. He gave me a dirty look because I think he thought I was asking for a J upgrade (maybe he got asked a lot?) and said, "sorry, I can't upgrade your ticket." I replied: "no, I already have been upgraded according to MPC, I just want you to print out my new boarding pass", impatient he did (I don't think he still understands me), and then he had a shocked face when he saw my seat is now J, and printed out a new Boarding Pass for me.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I think his shocked face is more likely to the fact that you're a DM more than anything else. CX lounge agents unfortunately get asked many times by other OW members notably AA about upgrades all the time. They really hate that. Hence probably the terse reaction from him.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
This happened to me once. Checked-in and got a Y ticket, went on MPC and saw my seat is now in the row 20s. Went up to the lounge agent (in the Wing F when they had a little desk) and said I got a new J seat. He gave me a dirty look because I think he thought I was asking for a J upgrade (maybe he got asked a lot?) and said, "sorry, I can't upgrade your ticket." I replied: "no, I already have been upgraded according to MPC, I just want you to print out my new boarding pass", impatient he did (I don't think he still understands me), and then he had a shocked face when he saw my seat is now J, and printed out a new Boarding Pass for me.
Usually when this happens I go to the lounge counter and say "I saw my seat number changed in the OLCI page. Can you issue me a new BP?" If I see other empty seats in the upgraded cabin that I want, I might ask them to change me to that seat.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
does CX do upgrades on two (or more) flights on the same day?

i'll be doing HND-HKG-TPE-HKG on my birthday in J, and all 3 flights have F. no expectations - i'm happy with what i pay for. but of course an upgrade (or two, or three) would be nice.

if it makes any difference, the HND-HKG-TPE is part of an ex-TPE ticket (which does not allow stopover in HKG on the inbound flight), while the TPE-HKG is on a separate ticket.
Just to update - I got upgraded on all 3 flights. First flight -upgraded at check in. Second flight - upgraded at the boarding gate. Third flight - name called at lounge.

All 3 boarding passes show "V" and the crew (repeatedly) said happy birthday.

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Jan 6, 2013 at 8:56 am Reason: more info
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
The best tag line to use at the lounge reception (when you know that you've been upgraded) is that "there is a seat change for my flight"...it works more favorably in that the staff knows what they need to do!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:34 pm

I was lucky enough to get a J-F upgrade LHR-HKG last year (not sure if it was due to my birthday or the fact I was travelling with DM - or combination of both). Needless to say, I hope my luck comes in again this year. Im travelling TPE-SFO and am booked in Y. I know there are no hard and fast rules for this, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight on my two questions:

1) Now that PEY has been introduced, has anyone had any experience with a birthday upgrade and has it been Y-Y+ or Y-J?

2) I noticed that someone mentioned that for multi-leg trips, you would only get UG for the first portion? With TPE-SFO I have the option to do the whole TPE-HKG-SFO on one day, or I can take the last flight out of TPE (day before my birthday) and connect on the early morning CX872, which is technically on my birthday. Again, I know theres no strict rules, but any experiences would be appreciated!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
1. I believe marcuslai got a Y-J upgrade on his anniversary (instead of to Y+).

2. It's supposed to be one leg only. But as mentioned in my post above, I got upgraded to F on all 3 flights just a few weeks ago on my birthday. I was only expecting one upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:50 am

I was only expecting one upgrade.
Never expect an upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 2:25 am
Suspended

1. I believe marcuslai got a Y-J upgrade on his anniversary (instead of to Y+).
Did all his companion (his 'children') get upgraded to J too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.