Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
what about itinery where say i have longhaul segment first, then short haul segment one of which falls on bday. if the rules do exist do i get lucky on my non bday first segment i wonder. (ie. is the screening done at a flight level or at PNR level, such that they note on a PNR its a birthday itinery, or they note for specific fligjt?)

i will report back how it go. answer in may. and no i dont expect one but just want to add a sample data.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
1. I believe marcuslai got a Y-J upgrade on his anniversary (instead of to Y+).

2. It's supposed to be one leg only. But as mentioned in my post above, I got upgraded to F on all 3 flights just a few weeks ago on my birthday. I was only expecting one upgrade.
I would like to know too if any others have received a Y to J upgrade where the aircraft has Y+. Planning a SYD trip and that flight happens to be on my bday by chance so was thinking of issuing Economy on the outbound (bday) and J inbound...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
I would like to know too if any others have received a Y to J upgrade where the aircraft has Y+. Planning a SYD trip and that flight happens to be on my bday by chance so was thinking of issuing Economy on the outbound (bday) and J inbound...
I believe 77W has Y+ right. I did not check but I guess so and I was upgraded to C on this aircraft. Well I was on the route where Y+ is not even sold.

I was "upgraded" into Y+ on TPE-HKG when the aircraft had Y+
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Talking to cabin manager the other day and they have been given clear directive on upgrades from Y to Y+, there are not to be any upgrades from Y to C if Y+ is available and only paying Y+ to be upgraded to C
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by mayodave
Talking to cabin manager the other day and they have been given clear directive on upgrades from Y to Y+, there are not to be any upgrades from Y to C if Y+ is available and only paying Y+ to be upgraded to C
sounds good in principle but on a busy flight, if J cabin open, Y+ and Y are both chocker full, it seems less of an effort to move Y->J without interfering the Y+. If you starting moving Y+->J and Y->Y+ you get more chances of issues because you dealing with more ppl.

What you suggest makes sense if both J and Y+ was available. But on a full flight, particularly for out-port Airport control, they go the effort to follow this directive. They would probably just move Y->J to get the flitht on its way.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fakecd
sounds good in principle but on a busy flight, if J cabin open, Y+ and Y are both chocker full, it seems less of an effort to move Y->J without interfering the Y+. If you starting moving Y+->J and Y->Y+ you get more chances of issues because you dealing with more ppl.
Chances of Y+ being chocker full...
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:38 am
Suspended

What you suggest makes sense if both J and Y+ was available. But on a full flight, particularly for out-port Airport control, they go the effort to follow this directive. They would probably just move Y->J to get the flitht on its way.
That's not how BA and QF is doing. Opups should be conducted in the systematic way. Ur principle does not make sense so given in the past with fJy you don't upgrade Y pax to F class if both J and Y are full.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

Nice attempt at rationalization. But I suspect mayodave's info is exactly right about CX's plan. Don't overestimate the amount of trouble involved in a series of cascading op-ups. They probably already do this regularly if Y is overbooked and J is full -- note how we almost never hear reports from people being op-upped from Y to F. The vast majority of pax who receive an op-up are likely to gladly accept without creating a problem by asking to go back to the original cabin/seat etc, so it's as simple as printing out a new BP at the gate, if not at check-in.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by lingua101
I believe 77W has Y+ right.
Not all 77Ws have Y+. See the FAQ.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:01 am

"Y+ being chocker full" was an oxymoron to start with.

as per packing order, as I said i think this happens only at outports where outsourced ground agents are just trying to send the flights on its way. Somehow in a chaotic overbooked situation, particularly out of EU where denied boarding can potentially be very expensive, I think it's in CX's best interest to just make sure everyone has a seat and send it off. They could fiddle around trying to move so many seats and if something goes wrong (Y+ pax deny upgrade due to travel companion, J/Y+ have all pax show up etc etc) repercussion can be large... I donno for sure but if I was the Station Manager at Paris at a 105% full flight, I'd concentrate on getting ppl seated. Juggling around Y->Y+, Y+>J, J->F and all that can be too fussy. If I had DM in Y, just put him in J and move on...

Sorry digressing here, it's a thread about bday upgrades. So Iwill report back in March/May when both my travels are over.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

I think it's in CX's best interest to just make sure everyone has a seat and send it off. They could fiddle around trying to move so many seats and if something goes wrong (Y+ pax deny upgrade due to travel companion, J/Y+ have all pax show up etc etc) repercussion can be large... I donno for sure but if I was the Station Manager at Paris at a 105% full flight, I'd concentrate on getting ppl seated. Juggling around Y->Y+, Y+>J, J->F and all that can be too fussy. If I had DM in Y, just put him in J and move on...
No wonder you're not the station manager at Paris jk
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Upgrade on KA (rather than start a new thread)

On the first flight out of PEK this morning and checked in online 2 days ago. Arrived at the airport and got upgraded to First, due to oversold flight as I was told. Saw that I had BN1 when they handed over my BP, I am a lowely Silver (after 5 years of straight Gold ) and it isn't my bday either or anniversary.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sl00001
On the first flight out of PEK this morning and checked in online 2 days ago. Arrived at the airport and got upgraded to First, due to oversold flight as I was told. Saw that I had BN1 when they handed over my BP, I am a lowely Silver (after 5 years of straight Gold ) and it isn't my bday either or anniversary.
Did you book in Y or J?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
As a lowly SL, I was the beneficiary of a double op-up recently on an overbooked HKG-ORD (Y to Y+ to J). I was BN4. The night before, I saw from OLCI that I had been moved to Y+; funnily enough, the "class" was still showing as "Economy," while my seat was 31D, clearly Y+. Got to the airport, check-in agent issues a BP for 31D in Y+, then, as I put my bag on the scale, she gets on the phone, presumably with her supervisor. She spoke really quietly and I couldn't pick up a word she was saying, but moments later, lo and behold, she rips up my Y+ BP and issues a new BP for 26G in J. So I can confirm that it was indeed a double op-up (first Y to Y+, then Y+ to J). I guess Y+ must have had very few DM/GO pax.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
As a lowly SL, I was the beneficiary of a double op-up recently on an overbooked HKG-ORD (Y to Y+ to J). I was BN4. The night before, I saw from OLCI that I had been moved to Y+; funnily enough, the "class" was still showing as "Economy," while my seat was 31D, clearly Y+. Got to the airport, check-in agent issues a BP for 31D in Y+, then, as I put my bag on the scale, she gets on the phone, presumably with her supervisor. She spoke really quietly and I couldn't pick up a word she was saying, but moments later, lo and behold, she rips up my Y+ BP and issues a new BP for 26G in J. So I can confirm that it was indeed a double op-up (first Y to Y+, then Y+ to J). I guess Y+ must have had very few DM/GO pax.
Did you see when she printed the first BP whether the top said "Economy" or "Premium Economy"? I don't think they're rolling out Y+ daily to ORD until the end of this month, this month I think it's only one per week. Maybe you got lucky on a day when it was operated with a 77H but they hadn't sold Y+?

I'm only raising this question because there's been intense interest here on how the introduction of Y+ will affect the op-up process, so it's helpful to know whether your first "upgrade" was into full-on Y+, or whether they had moved you into a Y+ seat that was sold as Y on that particular flight (in which case technically you would have had only a Y-J upgrade).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.