Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Was it your birthday when you checked in or when you flew? It's a 1am departure, so this is going to matter.
Maortega15 said he got his birthday upgrade but he didn't check-in on his birthday, I think it was either a day before or after, and he said he still got upgraded.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Maortega15 said he got his birthday upgrade but he didn't check-in on his birthday, I think it was either a day before or after, and he said he still got upgraded.
That sounds about right; the CX system should be smart enough to recognize birthdays even though passengers are not departing on the day, technically.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
My birthday was on the 8th of March. I checked in on the 7th but was on the flight till the morning of the 9th on CX 889. Additionally, I was upgraded Y-J. And the flight was oversold so I assume even if it was not my birthday, I would have been upgraded due to my DM status.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
In three birthdays as DM, I have flown exactly on my birthday once, and the day before twice. I only received one upgrade: when it was smack on my bday.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: CX DM; TG *G, PG Premier
Originally Posted by christep
Was it your birthday when you checked in or when you flew? It's a 1am departure, so this is going to matter.
Flight took off at 1am on the SIX (my birthday). We checked in at 10:30pm on the 5th.

Reservation knew (well, MPC knew) since they realized that when I booked my wife's companion ticket.

What I must add is that crew on board were fantastic. ISM told me she'd been told very last minute it was my B'day but they were all extremely kind and went the extra mile with their service.

PS. with that flight I also renewed my DM status...
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:17 am

Programs: AC*E35
Sorry, so does CX oinly do the possible birthday upgrade if you are one of their FF elite membres?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by highlander88
Sorry, so does CX oinly do the possible birthday upgrade if you are one of their FF elite membres?
Someone with only SL and GR ever test this Bday upgrade theory?

I got one on my BDay, and I'm going to make sure I do it again and again...

Next theory I want to test: buy Y ticket, use miles to upgrade to J, will they still BDay upgrade me to F...
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: CX GO
just got upgraded to J on my bday last night...HKG-LAX CX 880 77D...was excellent

I am a MPC silver btw
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by handai
just got upgraded to J on my bday last night...HKG-LAX CX 880 77D...was excellent

I am a MPC silver btw
^

CX won't upgrade you if you're with another FFP !
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:39 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Purposely redeemed J tickets for HKG-BKK for me & my wife and we traveled on my wife's birthday (she's a SL member too). Got upgraded during check-in to F after the check-in agent called her supervisor and mentioned about "birthday" on the phone and whether she can release 2 F tickets to us.

My wife also received a birthday card signed by all the crew on the plane and the ISM did mention to us that we got upgraded because of my wife's birthday

So, the Birthday Upgrade does exist ^
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by highlander88
Nothing is for certain, but based on experience and evidence from this thread: yes, they only upgrade their own Marco Polo members.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: Hyatt DM, ICH Plat RA, CX GO
Birthday Upgrade for Asia Miles Member

I will be traveling with my son who is 7 years old, on his birthday. He is an Asia Miles member but not yet a Marco Polo member. I am Silver and both of us is on the same flight schedule. Will they upgrade us?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by johnwee
I will be traveling with my son who is 7 years old, on his birthday. He is an Asia Miles member but not yet a Marco Polo member. I am Silver and both of us is on the same flight schedule. Will they upgrade us?
I think unlikely (my suspicion is it's SL's or above), but who knows...maybe they do regular Asia Miles members too. Pls let us know when you've flown
elizacat likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I think unlikely (my suspicion is it's SL's or above), but who knows...maybe they do regular Asia Miles members too. Pls let us know when you've flown
The system probably won't do an automatic birthday upgrade as I suspect they do with DM's and such, but I can confirm that birthday upgrades at the counter DO happen to non-elite children, especially when 1) they notice it on the passport and 2) they like children so there is actually a good chance. It has happened to me before, albeit on BA (none of us had any status with BA, and were MPC GR back then).
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: CX DM; TG *G, PG Premier
Originally Posted by CX HK
The system probably won't do an automatic birthday upgrade as I suspect they do with DM's and such,
I am flying proof that the system does NOT do automatic birthday upgrades for DM...
Apparently a (willing) human being must authorize that.

I got an email from MPC saying they are looking into the matter (??). Since I did not submit a complain the ISM must have (she said she would). Will let you know what MPC says (if anything).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.