Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I wonder if they do anything special on birthdays for MPC passengers who are travelling in F (and were originally ticketed in that class, not op-up).
Old May 25, 2011, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Nothing 'official' but you have to tell reservations about it. Not sure about a 'cake' but if the cabin crew know about it, they might do 'something'. Not sure again as its never announced.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Nothing 'official' but you have to tell reservations about it. Not sure about a 'cake' but if the cabin crew know about it, they might do 'something'. Not sure again as its never announced.
So what do you do? Call reservations and ask for a cake for yourself? Sounds a bit tacky.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Originally Posted by midlevels
I wonder if they do anything special on birthdays for MPC passengers who are travelling in F (and were originally ticketed in that class, not op-up).
A bottle of Krug to take home would be nice.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by kchika
A bottle of Krug to take home would be nice.
I can care less about cake, Krug, signing card by all the people I don't know. The real gift I want is to be able to sit in cockpit and watch the pilots fly the plane.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
How likely are they gonna let you into the cockpit then?
Old May 26, 2011, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I can care less about cake, Krug, signing card by all the people I don't know. The real gift I want is to be able to sit in cockpit and watch the pilots fly the plane.
I miss the days when I was able to do that.
Old May 26, 2011, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by kchika
How likely are they gonna let you into the cockpit then?
After 9/11? Zero to eternity past.....

I've always wanted to fly, but my family wanted me to study Computers instead...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt DM, ICH Plat RA, CX GO
Birthday Upgrade for Silver?

Do they give also give birthday upgrade to silver card members or only to Gold and Diamond?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by johnwee
Do they give also give birthday upgrade to silver card members or only to Gold and Diamond?
The possibility of a birthday upgrade can happen to anyone; you definitely have a chance as a SL, and I think it has happened to some FTers (in this thread).
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
The possibility of a birthday upgrade can happen to anyone; you definitely have a chance as a SL, and I think it has happened to some FTers (in this thread).
Like me
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: *Gold (TG), 9W Gold, CX Diamond
NO Birthday upgrade (J>F) for CX DM

Flew on July 6 from HKG to MXP (Milan).
Ticket in J. Got a companion ticket for wife. MPC person noticed it was going to be my wife and said she'd put a note to make sure I would "get a nice present).

Checked in in J. Asked at the lounge whether the system showed it was my B'day 9and if F was first). No and No were the answers.

Lounge staff started making calls and said they were very surprised. They said UG is based on request from CX Marketing Dept.

No sign in system.

I got on board and IFM apologized 10 times. Staff were great and gave card etc.

IFM said it was first time in her experience a MPC DM would not be upgraded (including wife) when F was available (one passenger).

What did go wrong?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by fresco1971
What did go wrong?
No idea...kinda strange. Maybe was just a fluke and they missed it somehow in the computer - bummer. Hope it's not a change in policy, it really is a very nice gesture. CX is kinda in a tough spot if they have these unofficial benefits that everyone (me included) expects (AND very much appreciates, they go a long way). There's always the chorus of people who say "you shouldn't expect it", but inevitably people are going to expect it if it's common practice. It's not like you can will yourself not to expect something that is so widespread. So a tough spot for both you and CX!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Was it your birthday when you checked in or when you flew? It's a 1am departure, so this is going to matter.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by fresco1971
Flew on July 6 from HKG to MXP (Milan).
Ticket in J. Got a companion ticket for wife. MPC person noticed it was going to be my wife and said she'd put a note to make sure I would "get a nice present).

Checked in in J. Asked at the lounge whether the system showed it was my B'day 9and if F was first). No and No were the answers.

Lounge staff started making calls and said they were very surprised. They said UG is based on request from CX Marketing Dept.

No sign in system.

I got on board and IFM apologized 10 times. Staff were great and gave card etc.

IFM said it was first time in her experience a MPC DM would not be upgraded (including wife) when F was available (one passenger).

What did go wrong?
Well, I think you answered your own question: either the system screwed up and none of the staff wanted to do anything about it (or don't have the power to), or, the policy isn't set in stone and really is based on goodwill gesture and somehow, in your case, CX decided not to provide such goodwill.

It is a huge bummer thought, but I suspect J to F is much harder and CX much less willing to provide then say for Y to J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.