Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Thank you, everyone! I'm fairly new to this but have been flying frequently in the past year and will continue to be the case. So I'm learning and absorbing all this information I'm reading on the forum!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
Just in case anyone was wondering - we both got upgraded J-F. That was amidst all the snow related delays/cancellations. Im sure the flight was full and im guessing I was upgraded ahead of some Diamond members that would have inevitably been on that route - so it seems that the birthday upgrade is worth something...
Me & my wife were both upgraded on my wife's birthday last year...also J-F but on short-haul (HKG-BKK). Those tickets were also on redemptions
Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Just another data point. Didn't get a birthday upgrade LAX-HKG. Well, flight left 11:30pm the day before my birthday and landed the day after my birthday (timezones). I have no MPC status (well Green) and it was an award ticket on AS so I wasn't expecting anything.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by croakz
Just another data point. Didn't get a birthday upgrade LAX-HKG. Well, flight left 11:30pm the day before my birthday and landed the day after my birthday (timezones). I have no MPC status (well Green) and it was an award ticket on AS so I wasn't expecting anything.
that's expected - (1) you're GR and (2) your flight wasn't on the exact day.

since this thread has resurfaced, i'd like to ask a question - it seems that most of the birthday op-ups happen on flights out of HKG ... what are chances like for flights into HKG from various Asian cities? birthday coming up in a few months' time and i'm planning a short weekend trip returning on my birthday.

from here it seems like birthday op-ups on SIN-HKG aren't consistent ... any places with a better record for handing out op-ups? BKK? PVG? PEK? i'll be booking in J so i'll be hoping for a J to F birthday upgrade.

again, if it doesn't happen i'll still be happy
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: CX DM, UA Prem Plat
Last year, I was flying 2 segments on my b-day. One into and one put of Hk. I would have gotten the upgrade into Hk if I did not change my flight last minute. The checkin agent made an oblique remark when I tried to get on an earlier flight about how J is all full which I did not get at the time.

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
that's expected - (1) you're GR and (2) your flight wasn't on the exact day.

since this thread has resurfaced, i'd like to ask a question - it seems that most of the birthday op-ups happen on flights out of HKG ... what are chances like for flights into HKG from various Asian cities? birthday coming up in a few months' time and i'm planning a short weekend trip returning on my birthday.

from here it seems like birthday op-ups on SIN-HKG aren't consistent ... any places with a better record for handing out op-ups? BKK? PVG? PEK? i'll be booking in J so i'll be hoping for a J to F birthday upgrade.

again, if it doesn't happen i'll still be happy
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
hmm, never heard of it, i'll try it next time
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by SiberianTiger
hmm, never heard of it, i'll try it next time
If you do not have MPC elite status, you won't get it.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
If I am MPC GOLD is it guaranteed to get birthday upgrade??
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by k3nnis
If I am MPC GOLD is it guaranteed to get birthday upgrade??
No, it is not a written benefit and it is not guaranteed. So don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen, and please don't complain about it! (so they don't remove this unofficial benefit)
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Thanks for letting me know Do you actually need to let the check in agent know it's your birthday or are they smart enough to pick it up
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
I am not an elite, but I did get an upgrade with my class T award ticket.

On my last birthday last year, I was travelling from LAX to HKG and I was holding an award ticket (class T) with special meal request VOML. I believed I had hit the 3 criteria for not getting the upgrade: 1, Non-revenue tickets; 2, Special meals; 3, non-elite status; and therefore I did not ask for anything while checking in.

The Econ Cabin was pretty full loaded. I did not know I got upgraded until I boarded the plane and turned to my seat. I saw my seat already been sat by someone else. I approached a FA and she said the ground staff found out that day was my birthday and issued an upgrade to business.

Strangely enough, I could see the Business Cabin is almost full - leaving only 1 or at most 2 seats vacant.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If you do not have MPC elite status, you won't get it.
Whats MPC? I'm Silver UA...
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:03 pm

Whats MPC? I'm Silver UA...
Marco Polo Club, the loyalty/ frequent flier program of Cathay Pacific... UA status won't count for anything on Cathay, they're not even in the same alliance!

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_BH/ffp/mpo
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK
Marco Polo Club, the loyalty/ frequent flier program of Cathay Pacific... UA status won't count for anything on Cathay, they're not even in the same alliance!

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_BH/ffp/mpo
Thanks for the info, do you know if they match? I have Alaska MVP thing, will that help?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by k3nnis
Thanks for letting me know Do you actually need to let the check in agent know it's your birthday or are they smart enough to pick it up
If you are a MPC elite member, the system will pick it up and the info will be put on your reservation. You don't tell them... the check in agents have no authority to upgrade you even if your passport is staring them in the face.

Thanks for the info, do you know if they match? I have Alaska MVP thing, will that help?
No. Check out the status match forum - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...tus-match.html

Besides just a brand new MPC Gold card, you need to have some activity on it. If you're a new MPC member with zero in your mileage account, chances are zilch for b'day op-ups.

I flew on my birthday last year and I am AA/Oneworld Sapphire. But because I am not MPC Elite, I was denied the upgrade.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jul 8, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.