Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Originally Posted by miki13331
I do not know the answer to your question. The only time I was not upgraded on a birthday was in Y. I have been upgraded many times on my birthday J-F.
Thanks - very good to know! Maybe I should reconsider flying long-haul on my birthday (I will for sure not be able to convince my wife flying on her's...).
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
Oh - I forgot to add - my travelling companion (well, technically im on his companion ticket), the DM is my father. Now will that make them more inclined to UG us both (space permitting)?! Of course i'll have something of a dilemma on my hands if they only UG me...
There's no dilemma at all. The only thing to do in that situation is to swap seats with your father. @:-)
Old Jan 29, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Who really wants to fly on his birthday? Not me for sure! Had to do it once on CX/KA, didn't got upgraded, but they handled me a nice bottle of champagne from first on KA.

It may not have been the best champagne, but nevertheless, it was a very nice gesture.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I would love to fly on my birthday OUT of my home for a holiday, second best will be flying home after a holiday, but never business travel!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I would love to fly on my birthday OUT of my home for a holiday, second best will be flying home after a holiday, but never business travel!
+1

My wife and I have been flying on our birthdays only for short-haul out of HKG and it's a pleasant surprise to be upgraded for that. I think all such flights were in the morning time, so that we still spend the majority or at least the evening in our holiday destination to celebrate properly. There was only one time I asked my wife to come from HKG to SYD on her birthday due to difficult work scheduling. She has been luckily upgraded as SL that time and we made up by celebrating in a very nice SYD restaurant - ironically named "PIER", similar to the CX lounge...

I never have considered to fly long-haul and spend the entire birthday on a plane before. A potential J-F upgrade would be very pleasant and at least I would not mind to try once. But then again, if you don't get it, then I personally think that the birthday was a bit wasted in comparison to everything else one could do. I can't imagine Long-haul Y on a birthday - even if flying out for holidays, as that could be outright a quite miserable way to spend the birthday (at least in my opinion).
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by uktraveller212

I am flying LHR-TPE next week on my birthday. I am a MPC SL, booked into J on a companion ticket with a DM. Now im guessing if there was a chance for a J-F UG, then the DM would trump me - even on my birthday! But, what are the chances of both of us getting an UG?!
Just in case anyone was wondering - we both got upgraded J-F. That was amidst all the snow related delays/cancellations. Im sure the flight was full and im guessing I was upgraded ahead of some Diamond members that would have inevitably been on that route - so it seems that the birthday upgrade is worth something...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
I'll be flying CGK-HKG-YYZ smack dab one week before my birthday. Do you think I should even bother to ask for an upgrade?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:24 am

If I am flying J on a 2 class flight, will they change plane to upgrade me? haha
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by JCFans
I'll be flying CGK-HKG-YYZ smack dab one week before my birthday. Do you think I should even bother to ask for an upgrade?
Both of these routes are great for op-ups anyway even without special occasion.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Originally Posted by midlevels
Does one usually ask (with no special occasion)? Does one usually ask when a birthday is coming up within a week? Or does one just wait and see what card is dealt to me (in both situations)?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:40 am

Does one usually ask (with no special occasion)? Does one usually ask when a birthday is coming up within a week? Or does one just wait and see what card is dealt to me (in both situations)?
Wait and see...

The birthday upgrade is only good for the day of birthday and is subject to availability and not guaranteed. A week before/after doesn't mean anything.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Rule of thumb: Don't Ask !
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Mate, I think you have almost no chance, sorry. As a DM I've flown both the day before and the day after my birthday many, many times (and I'm sure I've also flown both the week before and after many, many times)....and did not receive the birthday upgrade. Only by flying on the exact day itself did I receive that (sweet) benefit. I am not even sure they do it for SLs. Sorry.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Rule of thumb: Don't Ask !
^^^
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by midlevels
Actually since the new 77G was introduced, not the case. J is now often full and sold out. Just look at dates in June and July. They are all full. If you think about it the number of premium seats has been reduced massively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.