Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
If you are a MPC elite member, the system will pick it up and the info will be put on your reservation. You don't tell them... the check in agents have no authority to upgrade you even if your passport is staring them in the face.

No. Check out the status match forum - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...tus-match.html

Besides just a brand new MPC Gold card, you need to have some activity on it. If you're a new MPC member with zero in your mileage account, chances are zilch for b'day op-ups.

I flew on my birthday last year and I am AA/Oneworld Sapphire. But because I am not MPC Elite, I was denied the upgrade.
Thanks for the info
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: Who cares about your car rental elite status?
I had given up all hope. The flight looked oversold on KVS. With ten minutes left to go before my birthday was past, I figured I was not going to get a birthday upgrade. Just a generic email from Linda Sim wishing me happy birthday wherever I was.
So I get to the check in line, gate agent scans and hands BP back to me. It was only as I started to walk away that she says "hold on" and writes in a new seat number in J. Not sure if it was birthday or BN 8.
Now let's see if they have cake for me
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:57 am

if my birthday is on the SECOND day of the month, and i'm travelling on either CX251/255 to London, which one should I try to maximise my chance of upgrade?
(i'm a CX MPC GOLD)

FIRST of month
CX251 23:55/05:40+1

SECOND of month
CX255 00:35/06:20 (check-in on the FIRST of month)

THIRD of month
CX255 00:35/06:20 (check-in on the SECOND of month, i.e. my b-day)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A523 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by BLAHBLAHDELTA
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Are you a MPC member?
I am not. Would you recommend that I become a MPC member?

I typically fly Delta if not another Sky Team Member airline.
If you are not cx elite, your chance of getting an upgrade should be close to zero.

Is an unofficial perk for elite members.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by B-HXG
if my birthday is on the SECOND day of the month, and i'm travelling on either CX251/255 to London, which one should I try to maximise my chance of upgrade?
(i'm a CX MPC GOLD)

FIRST of month

SECOND of month
CX255 00:35/06:20 (check-in on the FIRST of month)

THIRD of month
CX255 00:35/06:20 (check-in on the SECOND of month, i.e. my b-day)
Worked for me on another route on the equivalent of CX255 on the SECOND of the month. I'd guess that the CX251 on that date would probably be the best (checkin/flight etc all on your day) - but again, ymmv.
But i would not plan for an upgrade / hold out for a specific flight unless my schedule is really flexible..
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Worked for me on another route on the equivalent of CX255 on the SECOND of the month. I'd guess that the CX251 on that date would probably be the best (checkin/flight etc all on your day) - but again, ymmv.
But i would not plan for an upgrade / hold out for a specific flight unless my schedule is really flexible..
oh thanks a lot
actually i have a super duper flexible schedule, that's why i try to go for a b-day upgrade.. hope it works :P
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
i think system picks up the specific DATE of FLIGHT... I'm no computer-programmer but if there was an upgrade screener/filter embedded, the code I would write will be something similar to:
If (flighDate = Birthdate) then (considerUpgrade); else (noUpgrade)

and I don't think the screen/filter is "check-in-date = birthday" because you don't know when pax will checkin.

for this I suggest you go with SECOND date.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire, MPC GO, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat Elite
Agreed with all the above. I did a red-eye flight to JFK about 3 years ago as a CX GOLD with departure time around 00:xx (check-in on the day before birthday), and I got a first class seat.

By the way, the above trip has been purchased in K-class, miles upgrade to J, then bday up to F.

All-in-all, I'd think the date on the BP is the key.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
I booked the following flight from HKG to LHR on Nov. 17, as my B'day trip:

Called CX agent and got some bad news:

Nov. 16 CX251 HKG 23:55 LHR 05:00+1 (Loading: J fully booked)
Nov. 17 CX255 HKG 01:10 LHR 06:20 (Loading: both F & J classes oversold)
Nov. 17 CX257 HKG 09:15 LHR 15:00 (Loading: only 2 x J seats avail.)

Currently online checked-in as CX255 to LHR (Bin 1). Hopeless....

Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:04 pm

Calling mods

I feel that this thread be locked. People on this forum are expecting too much for an unpublished benefit.

People, don't be upset if you don't get a birthday upgrade even if your a diamond member. You get what you pay for. If you get the upgrade, then its a happy day for you. If you don't get the upgrade, move on with your life. Simple as that.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by maortega15
I feel that this thread be locked. People on this forum are expecting too much for an unpublished benefit.

People, don't be upset if you don't get a birthday upgrade even if your a diamond member. You get what you pay for. If you get the upgrade, then its a happy day for you. If you don't get the upgrade, move on with your life. Simple as that.

^
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
^
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by maortega15
I don't think subtlety works around here. And I know you didn't think you were being very subtle.

ETA: I agree with maortega15 to a point. While locking the thread might be a bit extreme (this kind of "trick of the trade" is what FT exists to discuss), it's clear that a lot of posters are increasingly prone to viewing op-ups as an entitlement instead of a nice, unpublished, unpredictable perk. The whingeing is growing unmanageable.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I don't think subtlety works around here. And I know you didn't think you were being very subtle.

ETA: I agree with maortega15 to a point. While locking the thread might be a bit extreme (this kind of "trick of the trade" is what FT exists to discuss), it's clear that a lot of posters are increasingly prone to viewing op-ups as an entitlement instead of a nice, unpublished, unpredictable perk. The whingeing is growing unmanageable.
Thank the North American Airlines practices. They practically throw away their domestic "First Class" seats to their Frequent Fliers or only charge minimal number of miles if a seat is open.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Thank the North American Airlines practices. They practically throw away their domestic "First Class" seats to their Frequent Fliers or only charge minimal number of miles if a seat is open.
Since the poster maortega15 was needling lists a couple Asian and a European program in his profile, but not any US ones, I'm not sure this is precisely the case. Rather, it's a self-created problem on the CX board, where the discussion about op-ups -- how to score them, how to request them, whether a birthday qualifies for them, how to changes seats after receiving them -- has blown out of all proportion to the frequency with which an average low-tier flyer can expect to get them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.