Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by CX828
Dont think "benefit" is applicable to Silver's so much.... there are so many silvers it would mean so many upgrades, quite difficult. Also its unpublished so due to flight loadings or computer glitches or whatever, it is not gurantted to happen.
or supervisor not in a good mood, or the plane is over-sold in Y and they want to move up DMs and GOs and those might trump birthday upgrades, etc. etc. many situations can occur and since it's not a published benefit don't be upset if you don't get it.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Talking

Just got a HKG-SIN upgrade from Y to J several days ago. I just qualified for SL several months ago and I was eager to try this out. I told myself not to expect the upgrade and to be happy even if I didn't get it.

Upon check in at HKIA (having done OLCI which still showed a Y seat), the agent made a phone call and mentioned "CX 715 ... I have a CIS" and as soon as she hung up the phone she said happy birthday and gave me a business class boarding pass.

On the flight I got lots of happy birthdays from the crew as they were walking up and down the aisles. Before landing, a few of them came over to my seat and gave me a box of chocolates and a card signed by the entire crew. They offered to sing and I was slightly embarassed but very delighted! They also gave me a glass of champagne.

I was very very impressed with this whole thing - it was all very nice and a great way to make customers happy. I did not expect to be treated so well - sure, I've read the posts on this (and similar) threads before but it's so much better when it really happens.

I guess the rule is to not expect anything to happen ... it's always nice to have a good surprise.

Having been upgraded J to F just earlier last week, and getting the birthday upgrade several days later, I'm completely hooked on this status thing .... I'm aiming for Gold status this year!

Thank you Cathay, I love you!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW, my parents, both SLs, got upgraded on HKG-KUL about a week ago, on my dad's birthday.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goozey
I flew last week from DEL to BKK on my birthday in Y - I'm Silver - about to turn into Gold - flight was near empty - NO birthday upgrade ... No Happy Birthday, nothing ...
CX not getting you any "happy bday"s is a complainable offene !
however, if we all lose the opup whilst getting the "happy bday", we all know who to look for
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:10 pm

Is it possible to get a Bday upgrade if you buy a non upgradable v fare?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Having been upgraded J to F just earlier last week
On what route did you get upgraded J to F? Unusual for CX Silvers.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by jayzee
Yes, booked class appears not to matter at all.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jayzee
i've had opups from sub-V fare as a SL... YMMV.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:43 am

No upgrade for me but I did I get a four hour delay flying HKG-LHR in J a few years back on my birthday
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by kaka
i've had opups from sub-V fare as a SL... YMMV.
But that also means you don't get any miles from your trip. Which seems to be a little wasted (I can see for short trip that probably doesn't matter, but say JFK-HKG...)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:29 am

By the way, surpassed 500K but I'm already on mileage-upgraded ticket. Also my next flight is going to be on my birthday. Interesting to see CX will "save" my 500K upgrade goodwill benefit till my flight after in April...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
By the way, surpassed 500K but I'm already on mileage-upgraded ticket. Also my next flight is going to be on my birthday. Interesting to see CX will "save" my 500K upgrade goodwill benefit till my flight after in April...
How about double upgrade to F ?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Passed the 500k milestone a few months ago on AA, flew CX recently 8 times and no 500k benefit.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
How about double upgrade to F ?
I will buy you beer is that happens...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by midlevels
On what route did you get upgraded J to F? Unusual for CX Silvers.
I was on TPE-HKG on an evening flight on the last day of the 3-day public holiday (31 Dec - 2 Jan). This was on a 777-300ER long-haul plane with the "coffin seats" in J.

I was on a redemption ticket TPE-HKG in J. There were lots of op-ups from Y to J that night (judging from the number of new boarding passes issued at the gate). My boarding pass "beeped" at the gate as well, and I was issued a new boarding pass.

There was one movie star in F, and besides me there was one other passenger (not sure if he was an op-up or not).

I was quite surprised at the upgrade as it was totally unexpected. Surely there must have been some DM/GO ticketed in J? Supposing that the movie star was originally ticketed in F, then there would have only been a maximum of 2 op-ups to F.

I was BN3 or BN4 on that flight, and I had a special meal request (fruit platter), and of course I chose the normal F catering instead of my fruit platter!

I have had plenty of Y-J op-ups in the past as a GR (mostly on public holidays like this one) but this J-F was completely unexpected and absolutely delightful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.