Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Since the poster maortega15 was needling lists a couple Asian and a European program in his profile, but not any US ones, I'm not sure this is precisely the case. Rather, it's a self-created problem on the CX board, where the discussion about op-ups -- how to score them, how to request them, whether a birthday qualifies for them, how to changes seats after receiving them -- has blown out of all proportion to the frequency with which an average low-tier flyer can expect to get them.
But its not a frequent flyer's board's fault if the airline is doing it...

Look at SQ. Is there a similar thread over there? No. Cos they don't give op up's ever .. whether its your 100th birthday, 80th wedding anniversary or whatever!

So, people do not expect such a treat when flying SQ.

The question is, do we want CX to go down the same path as SQ in their inventory control for any op-up's?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
I booked the following flight from HKG to LHR on Nov. 17, as my B'day trip:

Called CX agent and got some bad news:

Nov. 16 CX251 HKG 23:55 LHR 05:00+1 (Loading: J fully booked)
Nov. 17 CX255 HKG 01:10 LHR 06:20 (Loading: both F & J classes oversold)
Nov. 17 CX257 HKG 09:15 LHR 15:00 (Loading: only 2 x J seats avail.)

Currently online checked-in as CX255 to LHR (Bin 1). Hopeless....

why not take CX257 then?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
But its not a frequent flyer's board's fault if the airline is doing it...

Look at SQ. Is there a similar thread over there? No. Cos they don't give op up's ever .. whether its your 100th birthday, 80th wedding anniversary or whatever!

So, people do not expect such a treat when flying SQ.

The question is, do we want CX to go down the same path as SQ in their inventory control for any op-up's?
No, CX is doing a fine job maximizing profit by selective op-ups. I don't really see the big deal, it's not like we're sharing info on how to illegally get op-ups through loop-holes. We simply share information on the situations op-ups happened (oversold cabins), qualifications of op-ups (status), and some extraneous situational op-ups (birthday.) I would say if anything this forum helps INFORMED people with entitlement attitudes how wrong they are, and how grateful they should be if CX gave them an op-up.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I am considering trip to Shanghai on my birthday (a day after new year). I know the birthday op-up is not official benefit. But of course this will give CX additional point to fly with (also considering TG and SQ at this moment).

Price-wise all about the same(+/- S$100, TG < CX < SQ)

So what you guys think my chances to get op up? I am a 2nd year SL, last year I clock just 20 segments (mainly on SIN-HKG-TPE on Y and 2 C class on SIN-BKK). This year I just only clock 4 segments.

Also which SIN-HKG will be higher chance to get birthday upgrade and also this will be the first day after New Year....
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by lingua101
Also which SIN-HKG will be higher chance to get birthday upgrade and also this will be the first day after New Year....
Very low.

To clarify, do you mean you're flying on Jan 2? Or do you mean that you're flying a day after your new MPC year (reset date)? Either way, though, I don't think either of those things matter. There is no special Jan 2 op-up that I know about, and given that Jan 2 is a workday in HK I don't think there should be any special loading considerations. If you meant the day after your reset, that is also not even an unpublished benefit - you simply don't get op-upped on your first flight after a reset. There have been rumors about getting one after a status upgrade, but that's debatable (as an anecdote counter to that, I clearly recall my first flight as a DM years back and although service was outstanding on the short regional hop to SIN I believe it was - the ISM somehow knew I had just made DM and was awesome throughout the flight - I was not upgraded).

As for your bday, I'm not sure if CX does that for SLs or not, but I would suspect not - sorry. There are just so many SLs out there I don't see how they can be doing that.

Overall, I would not factor this into your ticket purchasing calculus.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Very low.

To clarify, do you mean you're flying on Jan 2? Or do you mean that you're flying a day after your new MPC year (reset date)? Either way, though, I don't think either of those things matter. There is no special Jan 2 op-up that I know about, and given that Jan 2 is a workday in HK I don't think there should be any special loading considerations. If you meant the day after your reset, that is also not even an unpublished benefit - you simply don't get op-upped on your first flight after a reset. There have been rumors about getting one after a status upgrade, but that's debatable (as an anecdote counter to that, I clearly recall my first flight as a DM years back and although service was outstanding on the short regional hop to SIN I believe it was - the ISM somehow knew I had just made DM and was awesome throughout the flight - I was not upgraded).

As for your bday, I'm not sure if CX does that for SLs or not, but I would suspect not - sorry. There are just so many SLs out there I don't see how they can be doing that.

Overall, I would not factor this into your ticket purchasing calculus.
Ok. Thanks for your reply. My birthday is on 2-Jan.

I saw some post that SL got it. But I guess 2Jan will be the date which people will start flying for biz again and people still travelling from holiday... Oh my...
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:28 am

Ok. Thanks for your reply. My birthday is on 2-Jan.

I saw some post that SL got it. But I guess 2Jan will be the date which people will start flying for biz again and people still travelling from holiday... Oh my...
Remember, they only op-up if there is seats available. If the J class is sold out, you're not going anywhere.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Feel bad for people born on Feb. 29th then...
^
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:05 pm

One week toward my birthday flight. I checked last night there are still plenty seat on C lass on red eye flight from SIN-HKG.

There are 7 still empty seat at LD and only 4 occupied seat on UD. Question: will it happen that CX close the UD?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Question: will it happen that CX close the UD?
Not likely. Haven't ever heard of this happening before.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by midlevels
Not likely. Haven't ever heard of this happening before.
disagree. I flew on this mid-week in Noveember. I was upper deck but they had only 4 pax total in J so they asked if I could sit in Main deck and choose any seats of my choice.

So yes they closed the UD...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd
disagree. I flew on this mid-week in Noveember. I was upper deck but they had only 4 pax total in J so they asked if I could sit in Main deck and choose any seats of my choice.

Were you given a choice?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd

do tell us later if you have got a birthday upgrade or not
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Remember, they only op-up if there is seats available. If the J class is sold out, you're not going anywhere.
You are assuming everyone flies in economy. The past 3 years I have flown twice on my birthday and been put into F
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:35 pm

From kvs it seems the flight quite empty... All class shows as 9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.