Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
Hmmm...I thought that in the case of an over-sold cabin the computer system automatically processes op-ups in accordance with the "published" hierarchy?
Is there a "published" hierarchy? I know this site has one and it's reasonable, but they are more "guidelines" than rules. CX (station manager) can manually plug anyone he wants for op-up. My colleague was op-up from PEY to J on his recent EWR-HKG trip and he's only AA Gold (OW Ruby), and unless he got ultra lucky that there are no MPC-DM/GO/SL on the flights (doubtful), someone took a liking in him and op-up him first (to try to get him to fly CX more?)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
New data point:

Checked in for PER-HKG-SIN flight an hour ago. Was wished a happy birthday and told that I had received a "complimentary" upgrade to J from Y on the PER-HKG sector because it was my birthday.

MPC SL and so far I'm 2/2 for upgrades out of PER since the beginning of my membership year. Considering myself very lucky.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by windchaser777
I had received a "complimentary" upgrade to J from Y on the PER-HKG.
so they skip PE,?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:07 pm

They have for me both times I've been upgraded (the first was an op-up. I was told PE was full, and it was obvious there were quite a few people who also had op-ups). And from what some of the other posters have said, it seems to be that way for birthday upgrades.

The cabin crew were wonderful, I got the birthday card and they even made me a balloon dog
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Need photos
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:40 am

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the balloon dog, they presented it to me as we were on approach and I was more concerned about getting off the flight and making my connection to Singapore which was leaving 28 minutes later. I left it on the aircraft for a kid to have as I didn't want to be carrying it through transit security and it would likely have popped in my bag.

That flight has been the highlight of my day so far, almost made me wish I'd adjusted my booking to just stay in HK.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: CX GR, SPG/MR GE, Ritz Plat, Hilton S
A side question on the topic - what would likely to happen if I have a connecting flights via HKG:
1. flight into HKG on my bday, the connecting flight departing passed midnight.
2. flight into HKG on the bday before, hence the connecting flight departing exactly on my bday.

Of course asking this because the connecting flight is a long-haul I'm a SL and needed a mileage run on my bday month.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by theclubsq
A side question on the topic - what would likely to happen if I have a connecting flights via HKG:
2. flight into HKG on the bday before, hence the connecting flight departing exactly on my bday.

Of course asking this because the connecting flight is a long-haul I'm a SL and needed a mileage run on my bday month.
Realistically, I think you're unlikely to get op-upped in either situation, sorry mate! I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but throwing cold water seems the most realistic, as there's more disappointment than not surrounding these things, particularly with non-DM elites. I really think it's a stretch to assume this happens for SLs! There are heaps of SLs and GOs, there must be many, many birthday upgrades literally daily if so.

On my birthday upgrades as DM, I have got them spot on the date both times I've flown on it. Aka I depart HK on Birthday Day exactly and that's when I scored it (2 separate years). I have flown the day before my birthday and the day after - this includes a flight form the US where I took off the day before my birthday, and landed on my birthday fyi - and not received the upgrade on both occasions. So there is some precision. Of course, I also don't think they do

I don't recall doing the midnight flights on my bday as it sounds you are (I know for sure one was KA, HKG-PEK in the late afternoon), so hard to give you an exact answer. I'm not exactly sure whether it's the check-in time or the actual flight date that causes the message to pop up in their computer.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes regardless.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: CX GR, SPG/MR GE, Ritz Plat, Hilton S
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Realistically, I think you're unlikely to get op-upped in either situation, sorry mate! I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but throwing cold water seems the most realistic, as there's more disappointment than not surrounding these things, particularly with non-DM elites. I really think it's a stretch to assume this happens for SLs! There are heaps of SLs and GOs, there must be many, many birthday upgrades literally daily if so.

On my birthday upgrades as DM, I have got them spot on the date both times I've flown on it. Aka I depart HK on Birthday Day exactly and that's when I scored it (2 separate years). I have flown the day before my birthday and the day after - this includes a flight form the US where I took off the day before my birthday, and landed on my birthday fyi - and not received the upgrade on both occasions. So there is some precision. Of course, I also don't think they do

I don't recall doing the midnight flights on my bday as it sounds you are (I know for sure one was KA, HKG-PEK in the late afternoon), so hard to give you an exact answer. I'm not exactly sure whether it's the check-in time or the actual flight date that causes the message to pop up in their computer.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes regardless.
Maybe I was lucky but I personally experienced that being an SL. Somehow you're pessimism is making non-DMs think they are non-valuable. Thanks for the sharing your experience regardless.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Maybe I was lucky but I personally experienced that being an SL. Somehow you're pessimism is making non-DMs think they are non-valuable. Thanks for the sharing your experience regardless.
Ha sorry to put it out there..there are heaps of Diamonds too, fyi if that helps. We are absolutely not a rare breed either. Something like 10-20k is the number thrown around here of Diamond members. And there are more GOs than DMs, and more SLs than both combined. These are the facts without judgement. "Value" is for CX to determine....not me!

I have no doubt some SLs spend more than some GOs, and some GOs more than DMs, and some nonstatus pax can spend more than all . But for sure, there are many more SLs than GOs or DMs or DM+ etc. I do think the one off anecdotes have a habit in here of seeming like "truth", when CX has so many flights daily and many more passengers it's easy to lose sight of the bigger picture and just how vast this dataset is. It would indeed be a hurculean effort for CX to endeavor to op-up every single status member on their birthday.

Good luck, but I certainly wouldn't plan a trip around it!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,

Enjoy your birthday but really you expect an upgrade as a Silver? Please....

book the class you want to travel if you want a higher cabin...
Old Sep 28, 2015, 3:04 pm

theclubsq, it's not impossible as an SL to get a birthday upgrade as my post towards the top of the page is proof. However, I think it depends on where you're flying from and the upgrade will be given only on the date of your birthday.

My itinerary was PER-HKG-SIN with departure on my birthday, however the sector to SIN was on the day after. Was upgraded from Y to J for PER-HKG, but remained in Y (as expected) for HKG-SIN. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine too many elite MPC members being based in Perth which is probably why I was flagged for the upgrade.

Best thing though is to not expect it, then be pleasantly surprised if it does happen.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat

You're an SL, and you're doing a long-haul MR? @:-)
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
My wife got a birthday upgrade from J to F as a SL (still SL, will be GO after miles are credited). Her flight departed at 1am on her birthday.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
I’ve gotten birthday upgrades flying as GO on the day before and after my birthday, then again YYZ isn’t exactly elite heavy. I’ve been told many times that I was 1/2 GO members on the flight. Usually get a cake and a happy birthday song, its quite embarrassing in Y. Don’t mind it in J because less people are watching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.