FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Birthday Upgrade?
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:56 am
theclubsq

Programs: CX GR, SPG/MR GE, Ritz Plat, Hilton S
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Realistically, I think you're unlikely to get op-upped in either situation, sorry mate! I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but throwing cold water seems the most realistic, as there's more disappointment than not surrounding these things, particularly with non-DM elites. I really think it's a stretch to assume this happens for SLs! There are heaps of SLs and GOs, there must be many, many birthday upgrades literally daily if so.

On my birthday upgrades as DM, I have got them spot on the date both times I've flown on it. Aka I depart HK on Birthday Day exactly and that's when I scored it (2 separate years). I have flown the day before my birthday and the day after - this includes a flight form the US where I took off the day before my birthday, and landed on my birthday fyi - and not received the upgrade on both occasions. So there is some precision. Of course, I also don't think they do

I don't recall doing the midnight flights on my bday as it sounds you are (I know for sure one was KA, HKG-PEK in the late afternoon), so hard to give you an exact answer. I'm not exactly sure whether it's the check-in time or the actual flight date that causes the message to pop up in their computer.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes regardless.
Maybe I was lucky but I personally experienced that being an SL. Somehow you're pessimism is making non-DMs think they are non-valuable. Thanks for the sharing your experience regardless.