Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: CX Gold, UA PP, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade
I just booked myself on a flight in Y on my birthday as well, from HKG to SIN. Hopefully, as a DM, I too will get upgraded even though it's not really a long flight. Last year, I flew two days before and one day after my birthday and didn't get upgraded.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
Odds are pretty good, assuming that Business Class isn't full, which it often can be on the JFK route.
Thanks - I usually fly the Newark route, but I'm flying the 9:05 this time, so fingers crossed I guess.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: CX Gold, UA PP, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by cmcg
I just booked myself on a flight in Y on my birthday as well, from HKG to SIN. Hopefully, as a DM, I too will get upgraded even though it's not really a long flight. Last year, I flew two days before and one day after my birthday and didn't get upgraded.
I can now report back that I got my first births upgrade ever. Good times sipping champagne while waiting for delayed flight to depart. 🍾
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cmcg
I'm about to book a flight on my birthday as well this year, did you get upgraded?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:34 am

Anybody tried to get a birthday upgrade and then change FFP after gate?

Not a good gesture I guess. =)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Here to report my birthday upgrade.

I am GO and booked U class(AM reward) last week on CX288(FRA-HKG).
The date I flied was excat my birthday.
When checkin at business class counter, the Asian female smiled and said "Happy Birthday, Mr. XX" to me. Then she immediately printed out my first class BP without making any phone call to the manager. It seemed my updrade was arranged in advance? It was a great flight anyway- both ISM and SP said happy birthday to me.

There was something interesting later in HKG airport.

I had connecting flight from HKG to KHH. I understand usually the free updrade is not eligible to first class lounge(I am only GO and booked U) but I still gave it a try. The F Pier crew scanned my F BP and looked at her monitor very carefully for mins. Eventually, she said "yes, you can get in"
I was bit surprised and asked why. She answered " the normal op-up cant use the first class lounge, but yours is special offer. So you can get in."
Haha, thanks Cathay~
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:37 am

It's great to hear that. i've got 2 flights booked for my birthday this year. Is the birthday upgrade Y to J? or just one class upgrade?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:31 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by wyskevin

I had connecting flight from HKG to KHH. I understand usually the free updrade is not eligible to first class lounge(I am only GO and booked U) but I still gave it a try. The F Pier crew scanned my F BP and looked at her monitor very carefully for mins. Eventually, she said "yes, you can get in"
I was bit surprised and asked why. She answered " the normal op-up cant use the first class lounge, but yours is special offer. So you can get in."
Haha, thanks Cathay~
Nice! Its things like these that really make a difference sometimes...

I had my 5yr anniversary with MPC upgrade last week from J to F DUS-HKG (although it might have been an opup too since it was very heavily overbooked). Arriving in HK I asked at the c-i counter whether I could use F lounge this time, unfortunately she said no in my case but she upgraded me Y to J on the HKG-ICN leg (definitely for my 5yr MPC anniversary this time as the ISM came inflight and made a comment about that).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
It's great to hear that. i've got 2 flights booked for my birthday this year. Is the birthday upgrade Y to J? or just one class upgrade?
My cognition is below:

When booking Y, updrade to C (even though there is PE on the flight)
When booking PE, upgrade to C
When booking C, upgrade to F
When booking F, you can sit with capain...(joke)

However, is my cognition completely corrcet? No one can guarantee.
It all depends on the ground crew and the loading of the flight.
Good luck then...
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by wyskevin
My cognition is below:

When booking Y, updrade to C (even though there is PE on the flight)
When booking PE, upgrade to C
When booking C, upgrade to F
When booking F, you can sit with capain...(joke)

However, is my cognition completely corrcet? No one can guarantee.
It all depends on the ground crew and the loading of the flight.
Good luck then...
Looks very tempting. Me and my wife will be flying out for a holiday on my birthday and fly back on her birthday (we 9 days apart).

Would birthday upgrade happen when the booking is for 2 people?
Also, she is only SL, would birthday upgrade also happen to SL?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: CX DM, A3 Gold
I got my upgrade while I was still a SL few years ago, on a short flight to TPE. They offered me a choice of sitting on the upper or lower deck of the 747, and end up being the only passenger on the upper deck
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
I got my birthday upgrade from Y to J as an SL. It was PER-HKG last year.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:01 pm

So now it seems I should pray for the flights to have J wide open.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:50 am

Just got off HKGSIN as a GO on my birthday, and didn't get anything at all.

I was already booked in J, so obviously no upgrade was expected since there isn't F on this sector. Instead, I think CX went out its way to make the flight as awful as possible.

First they were delayed. Fine, I get these things happen all the time, and I'm used to it.

Second, they switched me into a window seat between my online checkin and arrival at the airport. This really annoyed me as I really prefer the aisle, and the flight just got off to a bad start. I'm also surprised they would pick a GO to switch seats at the last minute, without asking.

Third, no greeting from the ISM. Because I had asked at the gate about the possibility of a seat swap, I saw in the system that there was a special service note for the birthday. In caps, the text was GREETING REQUEST FOR BIRTHDAY. Anyway, the ISM didn't do anything, but she did greet the DMs around because I saw her saying hello to quite a few pax.

So I guess the moral of the story: as usual, it's always about the crew you get on CX. A lousy ISM will just ignore you and hope they get away with it, while a good one will make sure you have a great flight.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Looks very tempting. Me and my wife will be flying out for a holiday on my birthday and fly back on her birthday (we 9 days apart).

Would birthday upgrade happen when the booking is for 2 people?
Also, she is only SL, would birthday upgrade also happen to SL?
For my last birthday upgrade, I was flying with the missus and they told me that they could only bump me up to J (it was a short haul flight) and asked if I still wanted it. I took it and gave it to the missus but it seems like they won't bump both people, even if you are on the same PNR (as we were).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.