Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Did you see when she printed the first BP whether the top said "Economy" or "Premium Economy"? I don't think they're rolling out Y+ daily to ORD until the end of this month, this month I think it's only one per week. Maybe you got lucky on a day when it was operated with a 77H but they hadn't sold Y+?

I'm only raising this question because there's been intense interest here on how the introduction of Y+ will affect the op-up process, so it's helpful to know whether your first "upgrade" was into full-on Y+, or whether they had moved you into a Y+ seat that was sold as Y on that particular flight (in which case technically you would have had only a Y-J upgrade).
The top of the original BP said "Premium Economy." Flightstats.com was showing E, R and W inventory (this changed back and forth; no Y+ inventory up until a month or so, then E0 R0 W0 for a few weeks, then no Y+ inventory again at T-7 days or so, then E0 R0 W0 again for the last few days up to the flight). I didn't get to check what meals were being served in Y+, but I assume it was a "full-on Y+" upgrade at first due to the first BP printing "Premium Economy," and hence it was a double Y to Y+, Y+ to J op-up for me.

As for the schedule for 77H and Y+ to ORD, I think they shuffled the schedule about a month or so back such that the 77H would be scheduled to operate more than one day a week, albeit with no fixed pattern. My flight and those on the days immediately before and after were all showing as 77H with Y+ inventory, FWIW.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Not all 77Ws have Y+. See the FAQ.
It was b-kpd. Does it has y+?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I booked J
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: CX, AM, CZ, A3
My birthday is public holiday, guess crowds of people will be at the airport and less chance to get free upgrade then...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
"Y+ being chocker full" was an oxymoron to start with.

as per packing order, as I said i think this happens only at outports where outsourced ground agents are just trying to send the flights on its way. Somehow in a chaotic overbooked situation, particularly out of EU where denied boarding can potentially be very expensive, I think it's in CX's best interest to just make sure everyone has a seat and send it off. They could fiddle around trying to move so many seats and if something goes wrong (Y+ pax deny upgrade due to travel companion, J/Y+ have all pax show up etc etc) repercussion can be large... I donno for sure but if I was the Station Manager at Paris at a 105% full flight, I'd concentrate on getting ppl seated. Juggling around Y->Y+, Y+>J, J->F and all that can be too fussy. If I had DM in Y, just put him in J and move on...

Sorry digressing here, it's a thread about bday upgrades. So Iwill report back in March/May when both my travels are over.

For anyone that is interested about how Y+ affects upgrades - I was just upgraded Y-J on whole itinerary from TPE-SFO yesterday for my birthday. They even upgraded my friend the whole way too! Great service!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by uktraveller212
For anyone that is interested about how Y+ affects upgrades - I was just upgraded Y-J on whole itinerary from TPE-SFO yesterday for my birthday. They even upgraded my friend the whole way too! Great service!
I doubt if HKG-based member will also be treated the same way
Old Feb 8, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by B-HXG
I doubt if HKG-based member will also be treated the same way
I doubt if the system differentiates for op-up benefits based on MPC profile address.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
status level?

also u flew feb 7 on midst of CNY madness wonder if this is due to capacity issue than birthday
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd
status level?

also u flew feb 7 on midst of CNY madness wonder if this is due to capacity issue than birthday
Both silver. Flew on the 6th, by the way.

And no - it wasnt a capacity issue - they specifically told me that they upgraded me because it was my birthday.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Q: If I use miles to upgrade Y to J on my birthday, will that mean I would be able to get a J to F upgrade?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AC340-541
Q: If I use miles to upgrade Y to J on my birthday, will that mean I would be able to get a J to F upgrade?

Thanks!
No, you would not be able to get an F upgrade.
You mighttt get an F upgrade, but chances are slim.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by mayodave
You are assuming everyone flies in economy. The past 3 years I have flown twice on my birthday and been put into F
Well that contributed a lot to the thread. I think anyone with a mental age over about 8 or so can work out that upgrade means a 1 cabin upgrade and that a ticket booked in economy is implied.

Since you know everything, can you advise what happens when you just book a ticket in F and you fly on your birthday?
Old May 22, 2013, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Just to update - I got upgraded on all 3 flights. First flight -upgraded at check in. Second flight - upgraded at the boarding gate. Third flight - name called at lounge.

All 3 boarding passes show "V" and the crew (repeatedly) said happy birthday.
I was recently upgraded to J explicitly because of my birthday (SL) even though there are empty seats in Y, does anyone know what 'V' stands for? Does it specifically mean birthday upgrades?
Old May 22, 2013, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Just booked the wife to Europe on her birthday lets see if we can make it 3 out 3 biz to first travelling as a couple
Old May 22, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by mayodave
Just booked the wife to Europe on her birthday lets see if we can make it 3 out 3 biz to first travelling as a couple
Haha good luck.
Same here, booked a flight for 3 to Europe in economy class but as a MPC GO member. However, seems like that recently, GO member is less important somehow as shown from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...x-flights.html ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.