Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Central90210
I was recently upgraded to J explicitly because of my birthday (SL) even though there are empty seats in Y, does anyone know what 'V' stands for? Does it specifically mean birthday upgrades?
There was a link many years ago. I recalled someone said "V" is for "Voluntary", as opposed to "I" (Involuntary) when CX is forced to op-up a passenger. In the end, it is just a letter so that they know why the passenger is there.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There was a link many years ago. I recalled someone said "V" is for "Voluntary", as opposed to "I" (Involuntary) when CX is forced to op-up a passenger. In the end, it is just a letter so that they know why the passenger is there.
I know for data gathering and internal purposes it's good to keep a good record of these occurrences with V or I or X or whatever. However, for the sake of service on flight, can these codes be invisible to the cabin crew? There are a few times that I was treated poorly specifically because the crew knew I was just an upgraded pax (SL/GO days, but service has been perfect since DM. Which is another reason why if I can't maintain DM, I'm most likely jumping to AA)
Old May 22, 2013, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by B-HXG
Haha good luck.
Same here, booked a flight for 3 to Europe in economy class but as a MPC GO member. However, seems like that recently, GO member is less important somehow as shown from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...x-flights.html ?
Best of luck to you too
Old May 22, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Got my Bday upgrade Tokyo flight. Loading (to KVS) was wide open in Economy, with J6C6D5I5 type of load. All seatmaps were taken seat. Stats: BN 12, Silver, booked on "N" class. I saw my online check-in already show bizzo prior to getting to airport.

This was a well coordinated plan forcing myself to fly on Bday. Worked out well.

addendum:
when I checked in at airport, the checkin staff especially said happy birthday to me and that upgrade was a happy birthday gift. so i think it's semi unofficial benefit.

I also had the sign "V" next to boarding pass as opposed to "I" I have so often seen. One thing though, when I used on departure upgrade once, I never had "V" so i wonder what differentiates a "V" to other sorts of voluntary miles upgrade. I guess it's like if you were denied boarding and offered another flight in Business class, you get "V"...

Last edited by fakecd; May 23, 2013 at 1:32 am Reason: addendum
Old May 22, 2013, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I know for data gathering and internal purposes it's good to keep a good record of these occurrences with V or I or X or whatever. However, for the sake of service on flight, can these codes be invisible to the cabin crew? There are a few times that I was treated poorly specifically because the crew knew I was just an upgraded pax (SL/GO days, but service has been perfect since DM. Which is another reason why if I can't maintain DM, I'm most likely jumping to AA)
I really could not imagine any crew treating a passenger badly because they were upgraded, its simply not in the nature of the crews I have met and the culture of the teams that work on board. I only once saw a bad crew member and she was a ISM of Filipino descent and she really was very bad. I had no problem with her but I do know some passengers who did and she paid the price for her awful attitude. She no longer works for CX.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by mayodave
I really could not imagine any crew treating a passenger badly because they were upgraded, its simply not in the nature of the crews I have met and the culture of the teams that work on board. I only once saw a bad crew member and she was a ISM of Filipino descent and she really was very bad. I had no problem with her but I do know some passengers who did and she paid the price for her awful attitude. She no longer works for CX.
There was once that my travel companion and myself was given op-upgrade to J class from SIN-HKG. The whole experience in J class was so terrible that I wished that I have not have been upgraded.

During the meal service after the starter, the crew started to offer the main course to every passenger in J class except the both of us, though we were sitting on the first row of J class in B773. It was after a long while when they started to serve the dessert that we had to politely asked for the main course and the crew just remarked that they had only left with a particular dish which we did not really fancy. We politely declined the offer and she just gave us the "cannot be bothered - okay" look. I was pretty taken aback by such altitude and really hope that I was in Y class where I can have a choice of a decent meal.

On the other occasion, I was in J class as a paying passenger. I was not feeling hungry and when it comes to the main course, I decline the meal. The crew was genuinely concerned and asked if there is anything she can help to prepare (e.g. light meal). That indeed was a pleasant gesture, though it is not any fault of her that I decline the main course meal.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by hclee01
I was pretty taken aback by such altitude and really hope that I was in Y class where I can have a choice of a decent meal.

you seriously saying that?
Old May 23, 2013, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
you seriously saying that?
Taste buds are personal choices, this is why some people fancy street-stand food over 5-star restaurants. Why are you surprised that he doesn't like a particular J meal and rather have variety in Y meals?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Taste buds are personal choices, this is why some people fancy street-stand food over 5-star restaurants. Why are you surprised that he doesn't like a particular J meal and rather have variety in Y meals?
i mean meal is minor thing. id take business seat pver economy anytime without meal for sing flight....
Old May 25, 2013, 7:34 am

A bit OT, I thought booking a birthday cake in advance for a MPC GO was free. Called the centre today and realised that I have to pay for HKD$200...
Has this been always the case, or they just recently add a charge on this?
Old May 25, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
A bit OT, I thought booking a birthday cake in advance for a MPC GO was free. Called the centre today and realised that I have to pay for HKD$200...
It's not free for anyone except maybe in F class.

SQ however still provides a free cake to Y lass passengers though have no idea about the size of the cake!
Old May 25, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I am still trying to figure out what "M" means when upgraded. I've been upgraded a few times J to F and "M" prints on the BP, and so far I don't know what it is. All I can tell is that it isn't an op-up.
Old May 25, 2013, 10:59 am
Suspended

Strange twice I have flown on my birthday and been offered a cake which I duly gave to the crew
Old May 25, 2013, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Always been $200.....never was a published benefit.
Old May 25, 2013, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I am still trying to figure out what "M" means when upgraded. I've been upgraded a few times J to F and "M" prints on the BP, and so far I don't know what it is. All I can tell is that it isn't an op-up.
Milestone?
Also sometimes they don't do any annotation. So it appears it may be a manual thing the control team flag rather than an automatic flag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.