Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:13 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
I have had plenty of Y-J op-ups in the past as a GR (mostly on public holidays like this one) but this J-F was completely unexpected and absolutely delightful.
There are a lot more non-status vacationers during public holidays and around Rugby Sevens.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:16 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I will buy you beer is that happens...
You will probably buy him beer - with pleasure.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
How about double upgrade to F ?
I've had that happen to me once upon a time ago.. and it wasn't even my birthday !
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I've had that happen to me once upon a time ago.. and it wasn't even my birthday !
Anything is possible when you are a DM / DM+ / DM IN / moderator of the CX board on FT...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Same here, with no status as well
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by clazza
Same here, with no status as well
Admit it, your last name is "Slosar"
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by CX HK
Anything is possible when you are a DM / DM+ / DM IN / moderator of the CX board on FT...
My company has informed me that they might cut back my travels to East Asia starting this year. Oh no... how am I going to survive flying not being a MPC DM!!!!

Once you made DM you can't go back....
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:21 am

Ive got an interesting scenario. Now of course the birthday upgrade is not an official benefit, but what would be the order of play here...

I am flying LHR-TPE next week on my birthday. I am a MPC SL, booked into J on a companion ticket with a DM. Now im guessing if there was a chance for a J-F UG, then the DM would trump me - even on my birthday! But, what are the chances of both of us getting an UG?!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by uktraveller212
Ive got an interesting scenario. Now of course the birthday upgrade is not an official benefit, but what would be the order of play here...

I am flying LHR-TPE next week on my birthday. I am a MPC SL, booked into J on a companion ticket with a DM. Now im guessing if there was a chance for a J-F UG, then the DM would trump me - even on my birthday! But, what are the chances of both of us getting an UG?!
Best not to expect but be surprised when it does happen. It is NOT an official privilege.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by uktraveller212

Birthday upgrade generally trumps overbooking op-up. I'm led to believe this because even on not full flights birthday op-up can happen when there is no operational requirement to do so.

Of course, if the F cabin is fully booked, then that's another matter...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:16 am

Thanks for the input.

Oh - I forgot to add - my travelling companion (well, technically im on his companion ticket), the DM is my father. Now will that make them more inclined to UG us both (space permitting)?! Of course i'll have something of a dilemma on my hands if they only UG me...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
To uktraveller212: Since you're on his companion ticket, you should be both on the same PNR (booking record locator)? If seats are available, then there are very good chances that you both get upgraded. I've ALWAYS been upgraded together with my wife when either of us was flying on our birthdays and on the same PNR - even with different status and with birthday person having SL while other had GO (not even DM).

But: Most birthday upgrade reports are from Y to J, not many or almost none from J to F. Nevertheless: Good luck!

Last edited by Connecta; Jan 27, 2012 at 5:42 am Reason: Edited for overlooking companion ticket
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Connecta
To uktraveller212:
But: Most birthday upgrade reports are from Y to J, not many or almost none from J to F. Nevertheless: Good luck!
Birthday upgrades happen for J-F
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: CX DM, SG Krisfl, MH Enrich, Hyatt GP Diam, Priority Club Plat, Marriott SL, HHonors, SPG, AClub
Originally Posted by miki13331
Birthday upgrades happen for J-F
So do very rare double op-ups from Y to F.

But while at this topic, does anyone know whether it's just as common as Y-J? Sure, it's not published and one should not expect. But as for Y-J had a 100% hit-rate for something like 4 upgrades so far - always with my wife together (all short-haul only, since we've got better things to do than spending birthday long-haul on the plane). I wonder whether it shouldn't be way less, let alone due to less or sometimes no available seats in F depending on route.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Connecta
But while at this topic, does anyone know whether it's just as common as Y-J? Sure, it's not published and one should not expect. But as for Y-J had a 100% hit-rate for something like 4 upgrades so far - always with my wife together (all short-haul only, since we've got better things to do than spending birthday long-haul on the plane). I wonder whether it shouldn't be way less, let alone due to less or sometimes no available seats in F depending on route.
I do not know the answer to your question. The only time I was not upgraded on a birthday was in Y. I have been upgraded many times on my birthday J-F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.