Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Birthday Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by JoshThomas
Does anyone know if the birthday upgrade works for on an award ticket?
Yes - it did for me and my accompanying wife who is not a member.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver
Ok many thanks.

Ended up getting a seat on the 01.00am flight to SFO on my b-day (but only just!), hope they recognise this and not treat it as the day I check in.

Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Posting here again to see if anyone knows...what is "M"? Does it stand for anything (I think "I" is for "involuntary," ie op-up)?
Several days ago, I went to Singapore from Japan via Hong Kong by CX.
At the boarding gate of airport in Japan, I got upgrade(Y>J) for HKG-SIN.
Of course, that is op-up, so I-code was printed in my boarding pass, I-code means an involuntary upgrade.
But the flight from Japan to HK was delayed, so I could not transfer to the connecting flight.
When I arrived at HK airport, CX staff passed me a new boarding pass (HKG-SIN, Y class).
I lost op-up !
At that time, I noticed "M" code which was printed in that alternative boarding pass.

I don't know correctly what M-code represents.
According to CX staff, M-code means anything about operational issues, so M-code don't have a specific meaning itself.
"I" and "V" code are almost a symbol of lucky (UPGRADE).
But, perhaps "M" code is not necessarily a sign of happy.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: JMB Sapphire, MPC GO, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PCR Plat Elite
This has been a great thread. I had a good time reading it. Thanks everyone.

I've booked a flight from YVR-->HKG on CX889 (0245) on May 10, which means I arrive HKG at 0655 on May 11 HK time. My birthday is on May 11. What do you guys think are my chances for a bday upgrade?

Is there really such a thing as MPC 5/10years voluntary upgrade? This is the first time I heard about it after reading this thread.

However, I've heard that the ground crew may upgrade a MP member after accumulation of 500k miles and 750k miles and a million miles. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by hazehkg
This has been a great thread. I had a good time reading it. Thanks everyone.

I've booked a flight from YVR-->HKG on CX889 (0245) on May 10, which means I arrive HKG at 0655 on May 11 HK time. My birthday is on May 11. What do you guys think are my chances for a bday upgrade?

Is there really such a thing as MPC 5/10years voluntary upgrade? This is the first time I heard about it after reading this thread.

However, I've heard that the ground crew may upgrade a MP member after accumulation of 500k miles and 750k miles and a million miles. Anyone have experience with this?
I've passed the 5 year mark without an upgrade, but keep in mind I was just a lowly SL then. I am beginning to think 5/10 years upgrade are for GO and DM only?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I am beginning to think 5/10 years upgrade are for GO and DM only?
When I got my 10-year op-up, I was an SL. Funny, because for the first 7 out of the 10 years I never really flew CX and was a GR the whole time!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cathay Delight
Several days ago, I went to Singapore from Japan via Hong Kong by CX.
At the boarding gate of airport in Japan, I got upgrade(Y>J) for HKG-SIN.
Of course, that is op-up, so I-code was printed in my boarding pass, I-code means an involuntary upgrade.
But the flight from Japan to HK was delayed, so I could not transfer to the connecting flight.
When I arrived at HK airport, CX staff passed me a new boarding pass (HKG-SIN, Y class).
I lost op-up !
At that time, I noticed "M" code which was printed in that alternative boarding pass.

I don't know correctly what M-code represents.
According to CX staff, M-code means anything about operational issues, so M-code don't have a specific meaning itself.
"I" and "V" code are almost a symbol of lucky (UPGRADE).
But, perhaps "M" code is not necessarily a sign of happy.
Thanks for this....interesting to hear. I always was wondering about that and nobody seemed to know. When I had "M" printed, CX accidentally credited me F mileage (I was paid J, op-up to F) into my Asia Miles account. They got cancelled a few months later and the correct amount (for J class) was credited instead.

As for other codes, I know "D" is for an ID (staff) ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: CX GO, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Ditto on midlevels' experience. I received a "V" upgrade on my 10th anniversary back in 2010 (HKG-JFK, Y to J) even though it was only my 3rd year as SL. I'm also not sure if i was MPC or just Asia Miles back when I was 12, but whatever it was, worked out for me
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by goirulz
Ditto on midlevels' experience.
Yes, mine was a "V" upgrade too - and I got credited J miles instead of Y too.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:46 pm

Programs: MPC DM
Originally Posted by midlevels
When I got my 10-year op-up, I was an SL. Funny, because for the first 7 out of the 10 years I never really flew CX and was a GR the whole time!
I got my 10-yr op-up last year (HKG--> LHR) when i was a GO. I hope i can get my birthday UG this yr in June!
Old May 12, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: OW Sapp, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
anyone had ever had a "D" on the right hand side of the boarding pass?
Old May 12, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
D means Industry Discount.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just got my boarding pass at TPE with a 5th anniversary op-up with a V on it.

And this is like the 3rd sector since I am MPC SL! Been flying as GR for all my first 5 years!
Old May 13, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: CX DM
What about other special occasions, like honeymoon for example. Has anyone experienced something ultra special?
Old May 13, 2011, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by kevkmkwok
What about other special occasions, like honeymoon for example. Has anyone experienced something ultra special?
I've read on some TR's that they got op-up's on honeymoons and wedding anniversaries. Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.