Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I would not be surprised. Something along the lines of the buildout cost more than anticipated so we cannot afford a better offering from an F&B perspective.
That, and I bet the accountant who looks after BA’s capital spend is a lot more chilled out than the homicidal maniac who is controlling OpEx.
VSLover and alex67500 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That, and I bet the accountant who looks after BA’s capital spend is a lot more chilled out than the homicidal maniac who is controlling OpEx.
Haha, I was going to mention OPEX versus CAPEX but thought that it might be too much.
EuropeanPete and camdentown like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 11:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
which is similar to my December experience in Chicago where there was a long list to get a table for dining (made-to-order food is only served in the dining area).

OT - for what it is worth ORD Polaris Lounge shall be enlarged fairly significantly soon. Phase 1 - relocation of United Club to make room for the enlargement PL is done.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As someone who read all your posts ( or at least most of your posts ) post-COVID regarding AA Flagship Lounge's, Flagship First Dining facilities; someone who is very picky about small details such as the temperature of the food, the service time, the temperature of the shower water, etc... I would say that in the USA; there isn't any lounge facility where everything is perfect. If I look at your level of approach, the Qantas First Lounge at LAX would have serious problems because no one came to refill my water for 30 minutes on one occasion.

Post-COVID the service levels in the USA and the expectations are much lower than what it used to be. That is why Chelsea is even a downgrade compared to the old Flagship First Dining which had at least a decent level of meals including a proper menu. However, if you do fly from Chelsea, I am really looking forward hearing your opinion.

By the way, it's true that it's Sodexo who still runs the new lounges, and the customer facing FFD staff is at Chelsea which are joined by some of the BA Terminal 7 Concorde Room staff.
Shoot I was hoping for some new faces and maybe some people who actually know some things about food. Still though it comes down to who is cooking and quality of what they are working with.

I didnt even think to ask about the water temp at Chelsea, I am assuming its going to be the same ridiculousness of how Flagship was. I mean there is nothing wrong with their plumbing, they just choose to set the max temp at an absolute joke of a temp. That is not a hot shower on any level. AT LHR both Concorde was super hot and UA arrivals lounge I loved. And AA FL at LAX if you go all the way to hot does get hot. Not FL at DFW, JFK or MIA though.

Hoping to be at Chelsea next week and going to go in with an open mind but if the menu says Krug & LPGS and they dont have both its not exactly going to start well
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
BA agent and GGL phone agent claiming access limited to First long-haul on BA/AA

At JFK presently, flying domestic First on AA (JFK-BOS).

Came to the front desk in the common Chelsea/Soho area. BA front desk agent did not seem to be aware of what Gold Guest List status is. Kept telling his AA colleague I am Gold/Emerald. I kept repeating, “Yes, but I’m Gold Guest List.”

The BA agent said that I would need to be flying First class international on BA or AA for access to Chelsea. The AA agent said, “No, he can access Chelsea on any class of service but must fly BA metal.” I was directed to Soho, which is perfectly fine. The AA agent was very apologetic and said there had been a great deal of confusion about this over the past few weeks.

I called the GGL line once I got to Soho and, after consulting his team, the phone agent said that access to Chelsea is only for those flying First class international long-haul on AA or BA, and that GGL status has no bearing on access.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I called the GGL line once I got to Soho and, after consulting his team, the phone agent said that access to Chelsea is only for those flying First class international long-haul on AA or BA, and that GGL status has no bearing on access.
oh dear...

is this farce ever going to end?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
As I say, if they genuinely wanted to sort it out it could be as simple as an email to all Chelsea lounge staff or even just the lounge manager.

The original intention is pretty clear to me:

Arsey00 and zen100 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by De_Warens
At JFK presently, flying domestic First on AA (JFK-BOS).

Did you question the website accuracy? I would be interested to hear the reply to that question! Especially as it is written in 2 locations on the website.

Regards

aks120

Last edited by aks120; Jan 18, 2023 at 6:38 am Reason: Adding website picture.... again!
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Shoot I was hoping for some new faces and maybe some people who actually know some things about food. Still though it comes down to who is cooking and quality of what they are working with.

I didnt even think to ask about the water temp at Chelsea, I am assuming its going to be the same ridiculousness of how Flagship was. I mean there is nothing wrong with their plumbing, they just choose to set the max temp at an absolute joke of a temp. That is not a hot shower on any level. AT LHR both Concorde was super hot and UA arrivals lounge I loved. And AA FL at LAX if you go all the way to hot does get hot. Not FL at DFW, JFK or MIA though.

Hoping to be at Chelsea next week and going to go in with an open mind but if the menu says Krug & LPGS and they dont have both its not exactly going to start well
your hypothetical at the end won’t happen—Krug won’t appear on the menu. I don’t even think LPGS is listed on the menu.
ryanbriar and Arsey00 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by aks120
Did you question the website accuracy? I would be interested to hear the reply to that question! Especially as it is written in 2 locations on the website.

Regards

aks120
Yes, I did mention what the BA website states on this matter, but only to the GGL line agent. He began to read what the Oneworld website says about access to the Chelsea lounge (passengers must fly First on BA or AA long-haul). I replied that that is not what the BA website stated when I log on as a GGL member. He then said that the website had not yet been updated, something about technical challenges, etc. After this he went to double check with his team and reverted with the claim that GGL does not grant access; must fly in First with BA or AA long-haul international. That’s news to me… and certainly a change from CCR access no matter the class of service.
aks120 and Arsey00 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
It's all starting to get sorted... 🙏
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:18 am

Apologies in advance. Wrong lounge, in fact way down the pecking order in terms of lounges, but what is the food like in Greenwhich? Good enough to have a pre-flight evening meal?

Also, is there a priority check-in desk at JFK T8 for BA Silver (Saphire I think)?

Last edited by cagiva92; Jan 18, 2023 at 8:19 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I gave this thread a miss, for couple weeks. thinking the access issues will all be fixed very soon.

Oh well.... Back in a few weeks, can't wait...........🙃
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by cagiva92
Apologies in advance. Wrong lounge, in fact way down the pecking order in terms of lounges, but what is the food like in Greenwhich? Good enough to have a pre-flight evening meal?

Also, is there a priority check-in desk at JFK T8 for BA Silver (Saphire I think)?
Have a look here: British Airways and American Airlines Greenwich Lounge - JFK Terminal 8
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cagiva92

Food in Greenwich the other day was pretty much the same as in Soho, although no menu ordering. The chicken pot pie was nice (just meat and veg in gravy or whatever, no pastry). Usual salad, cold cuts, cheese etc.
Does vary in there though, so sometimes you get decent meat and veg, other times less.
Plenty of champagne still.
madmanshoney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.