Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise à jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I will go for working for a few days and then never again. A few people will be able brag about being there and seeing it work for that brief period

i expect it will be operational just in time for summer.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea
The fireplace is a nice addition and I actually thought the center seats were a pleasant place to relax.

Looks like one of those cylindrical fish tanks. minus the fish. Which would have probably been a nicer feature.
camdentown and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 4:33 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Looks like one of those cylindrical fish tanks. minus the fish. Which would have probably been a nicer feature.
If anyone has watched the recent BBC adaptation of His Dark Materials, I would say it looks like The Magisterium have found a new way to target Lyra...
Arsey00, camdentown and m8_rotate like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybymonkey
Well it’s great until it explodes, like in Berlin.
Football Fan, bafan, JTXC and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well it’s great until it explodes, like in Berlin.
That was in my office building
Old Jan 14, 2023, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
I'm assuming this hasn't been finished yet, because the floor fixings are visible at the bottom and the black part seems to have white scratches / marks on already!
The staff were talking about a stone surround for it, so guess that will be coming in soon!
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Just arrived…pretty quiet, though there is a man watching a news channel on his phone sans headphones. Given the layout, it is impossible to avoid unless you’re in the dining area. The lights seem a bit dimmed compared to the photos.

No LPGS (or the Ruinart) tonight, though there is the LP Rosé as the mystery signature premium champagne — it’s like the manager’s special at Hertz. I like Nectar, but I buy that at home. Hopefully they get a re-stock soon.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: AC Ennui 50K · BA Gold · EIL Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Just arrived…pretty quiet, though there is a man watching a news channel on his phone sans headphones. Given the layout, it is impossible to avoid unless you’re in the dining area. The lights seem a bit dimmed compared to the photos.

No LPGS (or the Ruinart) tonight, though there is the LP Rosé as the mystery signature premium champagne — it’s like the manager’s special at Hertz. I like Nectar, but I buy that at home. Hopefully they get a re-stock soon.
If you have spare headphones, offer to lend them to him! That may however make him turn red - which is far from ideal. Otherwise perhaps just a very polite intervention, or ask a member of staff to get involved. I'm sure there would be no question about this in the CCR. Why should it be different in Chelsea?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Just arrived…pretty quiet, though there is a man watching a news channel on his phone sans headphones. Given the layout, it is impossible to avoid unless you’re in the dining area.
I recently approached a couple in the quiet area of the AA MIA Flagship lounge watching a TV show on their iPad without headphones and asked them politely to either stop or use headphones. They complied, as I'm sure most would in this situation. Don't suffer in silence because others are rude.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Most of the comments have been covered above, so I’ll add a few supplemental points. It was a fine place to wait for a flight, but not on point with FFD and the T7 CCR.

JWB will not be returning. It has been replaced by other scotch offerings per the bartender. The 18 Yr. that he poured (name is escaping me) was pretty decent. That said, it was not as smooth as JWB, and their 20 Yr. offering (the official replacement) was not as good. This is all personal preference, but figured I’d share.

The bartenders were attentive throughout my stay. I didn’t sit at the chairs so I can’t comment on the level of service.

The rotating “manager-special” champagne offering is a nice concept, but not when it is clearly a cover for walking back Krug and having inconsistent purchasing. I may get killed for saying this, but Hattingley was the best sparkling wine on offer (perhaps I’ve been trained to like it after draining the LPGS in-flight).

Dinner was fine (and the lamb was quite good), but not on par with the November offerings at both the CCR and FFD. Service was a bit spotty and definitely server-dependent from what I could tell.

Bottom line — adjustments are needed to bring this lounge back in line with not only the “Day 1 Blogger” level, but where the CCR and FFD were at on November 30th.

Pictures:

Menus for the evening. Sparkling wine, food, wine and snacks. Should be readable.

Bar snacks — nuts and olives. Ran out of time for fries.

Caesar salad. It was good, but I could get this from Sweet Green or make it at home.

This dish was actually pretty good. Almost in point with the FFD osso bucco. Asked for a red wine, which never showed up.

Originally Posted by Genius1
I recently approached a couple in the quiet area of the AA MIA Flagship lounge watching a TV show on their iPad without headphones and asked them politely to either stop or use headphones. They complied, as I'm sure most would in this situation. Don't suffer in silence because others are rude.
Fair point. To each his own. I’ve personally found that people generally don’t like being told what to do, even when politely asked, so I don’t even try.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Caesar what? This cannot be a salad… really?
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:21 am
Suspended

ryanbrian, thanks for the review of the new Business Lounge. When you get to the new First Lounge let us know.

AA/BA are opening themselves up to a new entrant with the crap experience that is Chelsea. Keep shaving service pre-flight and on-board (as is happening) and they will get their comeuppance. This is the usual path of monopolies.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
There was, the other day, some well spoken gentleman, sitting at the Chelsea bar, singing his prsises about the lounge,staff and excellent food to a woman (who may have been management?)

Either he believed it to be the greatest place ever, or just being awfully polite as an English gentleman

I did suggest a candy station like in LHR T3 to the woman on the desk. Do like picking at peppermint patties etc. rather than Miss Vickie's potato chips, or those bags of asparagus!
Should have mentioned Lundt truffles in order to convey the BA F experience
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by LHRJFK
ryanbrian, thanks for the review of the new Business Lounge. When you get to the new First Lounge let us know.

AA/BA are opening themselves up to a new entrant with the crap experience that is Chelsea. Keep shaving service pre-flight and on-board (as is happening) and they will get their comeuppance. This is the usual path of monopolies.
Will do. Perhaps it is a speakeasy type set-up lurking behind this door

Football Fan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Second visit last night. It was worse than the first. I only lasted ten minutes this time and then went for a burger and beer in the terminal. Was asked by some guy on the way out if everything was OK. I told him that I had already explained everything to him a week ago and, seeing as it made no difference, I wasn’t planning on doing it again. I will be using VS for my Jan and Feb visits to NY. I will give BA another chance on my NY trip in March. That will be the last chance.
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Yes. I am a big spender. They know I am. I will make a point to these idiots that they can’t take me for granted. Whether they chose to listen is beyond my control,
Just sharing this as a datapoint, I am at the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in JFK right now and you would be much more disappointed with them than BA/AA & Chelsea when you see the current menu is not identical to what's on the VS website but far much inferior.

Until Delta opens their Delta One Lounge, I don't think there would be any superior lounge than Chelsea which offers lounge access on a direct London service from JFK.

Edit: There is United Polaris out of EWR as a better alternative compared to Chelsea

The AF Lounge First Class section and LH First Dining & Wining are also available if someone is willing to connect and if it's a big spender.

Spoiler

ryanbriar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.