Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŗ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
For what itís worth I accessed all 3 as arrivals lounges for an LAX-JFK lounge in business class as a GGL. Wasnít worth the effort but I was curious if Iíd have any issues which I did not.

I actually preferred the new Admirals Clubs at LGA and DCA, mostly because they were extremely empty and calm.
aks120 and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
No Ruinart champagne but they had the others. It was about 4pm and fairly quiet, staff very friendly and helpful. Menu items didn't sound very inspiring, but when it (pretty quickly) came everything was really nicely done
So you can choose any kind of champagne you like, so long as itís Moet?

2023 really is looking to be a miserable year, isnít it?
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Mr critical here back from my self-induced coma, great to see all the positive feedback taking place now that I'm not here dismissing all of the people enjoying the First class burger (or the only other entree that isn't a kids meal), champagne selection and inspiring layout - especially with the new fireplace!

I said I'd give you all a break for 2 weeks until I return tonight, with lots of questions for the BA team.

"When is the krug coming back?"
"When are the menus changing?"
"I thought the temporary menu that dropped the steak, chicken and seafood dishes would be for a few days - what happened?"
"Will the new menu be up to the standard of the opening menu that the Press used to judge the lounge?"
"What changes are you making to address the concerns that people seem to prefer spending time in the Soho?"

Any others ya'll would like me to ask?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
No thanks (apart from a properly communicated access policy for GGL).
I think I have thread fatigue.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:17 am
Suspended

When will BA re-start First Class offering?

Genuinely, I think they should swap the lounges around (Soho for Chelsea).
ryanbriar, ISTFlyer and jjLDNY like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
For what itís worth, LPGS showed up within the last hour. They must have gotten a shipment as it just finished chilling.

All on point. Iíd also ask why JWB was subbed for Mortlach 20.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Here again and LPGS back but bottle was left in freezer too long so itís nearly frozen (almost like a slushy).
ryanbriar and LHRJFK like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Also here - seems it’s a party.

Rona said they have a stash of LPGS, otherwise the ‘signature’ is a LP rose. No Krug (obviously) and no Ruinart.

Same menu, apparently they told the team the menu would rotate bi-monthly. But obviously it hasn’t - maybe something to look forward to.

Will find a BA rep shortly. The 2 AA reps on the front desk were a “no” for GGL domestic entry, but are operating on the update that came a month ago so the 2 I spoke to haven’t seen any updated info.

What was rather funny, is that I had a good 5 min chat with the check-in agent before security. They smiled when I said the Chelsea was awful, and went on to share many bits of feedback they had, calling the lounge a huge downgrade. They were also perplexed how they didn’t rotate the Chelsea/Soho so both had window access.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Here as well - first time since the change.
It is okay - but FFD & CCR were a big step up from this menu and service, albeit the staff are very friendly, but everything seems to be taking an age to be ordered/ appear. If this is the top end lounge for AA & BA out of a prime hub, it definitely falls flat on the food front. Setting itself is okay, although the lights have been turned up and then dimmed several times (mood lighting anyone!) and natural light would be nice.

I think a return to the former FFD menu would alleviate a lot of cosmetic issues, but the current menu for a ‘First Class lounge’ is definitely sub-par.

Pilot37
Old Jan 20, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Also here - seems itís a party.

Rona said they have a stash of LPGS, otherwise the Ďsignatureí is a LP rose. No Krug (obviously) and no Ruinart.

Same menu, apparently they told the team the menu would rotate bi-monthly. But obviously it hasnít - maybe something to look forward to.

Will find a BA rep shortly. The 2 AA reps on the front desk were a ďnoĒ for GGL domestic entry, but are operating on the update that came a month ago so the 2 I spoke to havenít seen any updated info.

What was rather funny, is that I had a good 5 min chat with the check-in agent before security. They smiled when I said the Chelsea was awful, and went on to share many bits of feedback they had, calling the lounge a huge downgrade. They were also perplexed how they didnít rotate the Chelsea/Soho so both had window access.
The stash comment is definitely accurate. I was offered it because I was a familiar face, provided that I was fine with waiting for it to cool down (which I was). Others were provided the LP Rose manager special from what I could tell.

The food delays were on full display tonight. Luckily someone didnít want their impossible burger with cheese or left so mine came out about three minutes after ordering it.
ISTFlyer, jjLDNY and madmanshoney like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
They were also perplexed how they didn’t rotate the Chelsea/Soho so both had window access.
Whoever made that decision not to rotate for some natural light in Chelsea is probably related to the moron who designed the AA 788 Zodiac seats..
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I came through T8 yesterday, on my way to MIA on an AA ticket.

There was the usual confusion about entry, including much discussion about whether OWS and GGL were the same or different. No BA staff on duty as it was early. It was all very polite but after ten minutes, I think my irritation was starting to show. I wanted to meet a colleague in the CL so I persevered. In the end, the AA lady said “you choose…..to be honest most of our CKs prefer the Soho but it’s up to you.”

This was the first time I’ve visited when it was so quiet. Only three other passengers. The acoustics are even worse when it’s empty. All I could hear was the couple at the far end in the dining area (I was at the bar) talking over their food, the pairs of staff taking about their shift patterns and the clatter of cutlery being laid out. Then the dishwasher at the bar started. Sorry but **** me. What an absolute racket.

My colleague and I suddenly realised we couldn’t really talk privately and we repaired to a corner of the Soho.

It just gets worse and worse.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
There was the usual confusion about entry, including much discussion about whether OWS and GGL were the same or different....
What an insult
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
In the end, the AA lady said ďyou chooseÖ..to be honest most of our CKs prefer the Soho but itís up to you.Ē
Wouldn't surprise me one bit...
Football Fan and LHRJFK like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The more I look at the layout, the more I think it is just a case of bad initial specification.

- it would probably be far easier to have a single point of entry and then a second, smaller desk from Soho to Chelsea (like in the old terraces at T4)

- the kitchen, toilets and showers are in completely the wrong place and take up an area which could be flooded with natural light - they should actually be where the Chelsea entrance, bar and silly little sitting area all are.

- one could enter Soho as now with the kitchen making up the rest of the Soho lounge and a Chelsea lounge at end, taking in some of the Soho windows

As it stands, it is appallingly thought through. A total waste of money.
Football Fan, seanp7 and MaxFlyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.