Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise ŕ jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2023, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gberg
Here again and LPGS back but bottle was left in freezer too long so it’s nearly frozen (almost like a slushy).
That's how I entertain. White and sparkling always at 3C.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer

My colleague and I suddenly realised we couldn’t really talk privately and we repaired to a corner of the Soho.

It just gets worse and worse.
Good point on the privacy front. The only area where you have semi-cordoned off space is the alcove to the left of the snacks / water dispenser along the far wall, and potentially in the two corners of chairs behind the bar. That said, there was a family in that alcove I mentioned last night and I could hear their entire conversion from the far row of chairs. Perhaps they need to put in some sound dampening materials.

FFD used to get quite loud, but it was not designed as a lounge; rather as a dining room with a ton of hard surfaces.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
The stash comment is definitely accurate. I was offered it because I was a familiar face, provided that I was fine with waiting for it to cool down (which I was). Others were provided the LP Rose manager special from what I could tell.

The food delays were on full display tonight. Luckily someone didn’t want their impossible burger with cheese or left so mine came out about three minutes after ordering it.
I hope that you or some other regulars are there when I visit in February. If not, maybe I'll get the pleasure of arguing for nicer wine. I cannot wait!

The optimist in me prays that BA and AA read this thread from open to close to see how much of a bait and switch the lounge has become. The realist in me thinks they do, crack a smile, and give themselves a pat on the back. Getting rid of first is a self fulfilling prophecy.
zen100 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Good point on the privacy front. The only area where you have semi-cordoned off space is the alcove to the left of the snacks / water dispenser along the far wall, and potentially in the two corners of chairs behind the bar. That said, there was a family in that alcove I mentioned last night and I could hear their entire conversion from the far row of chairs. Perhaps they need to put in some sound dampening materials.

FFD used to get quite loud, but it was not designed as a lounge; rather as a dining room with a ton of hard surfaces.
I agree about the need for sound dampening materials but I do wonder whether they will make much difference with all that ghastly marble. Every aspect of the construction is wrong. Even the hideous brown ceilings seem to bounce noise around the place. The sound travels like in a school gym. I could hear a phone pinging from 20 meters away like it was next to me.

I’m afraid they are going to have to bite the bullet and close it. Use the Greenwich to temporarily host Emeralds (I think there is some more space that can be used there) and use the Soho for First, CK and GGL. Then get down to a proper re-modelling of the entire space.
MaxFlyer, Genius1 and ryanbriar like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I hope that you or some other regulars are there when I visit in February.
Feb 3rd evening. I will be getting the Blade from the city.
saltytheseagull likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by LHRJFK
Feb 3rd evening. I will be getting the Blade from the city.
I will be there February 15. Feel free to PM if you will be back.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by LHRJFK
That's how I entertain. White and sparkling always at 3C.
Is that a mistake by AA to put the LPGS in the freezer or thats how champagne is handled but they just kept it in too long? Food I know a lot about but total novice with champagne, actually learned quite a bit from this site on the FFD thread.

Still so bummed on my last 2 FFD visits, both just before the switch over, they had No LPGS.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 4:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
it's a mistake to put any champagne or white wine in the freezer.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
it's a mistake to put any champagne or white wine in the freezer.
exactly. Or indeed any bottle of any liquid under at least 40% alcohol. Try it at home and enjoy picking up the broken glass!…
Old Jan 22, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
The reason they have it in the freezer often is because they have limited fridge space in the incredible marble and glass bar and it goes too quickly to chill it via the fridge. Even with that in mind it’s often too warm after only having 5 mins in the freezer. In the above case, it sounds like it was obviously forgotten due to the overworking and mismanagement of the floor team. They’re fortunate it didn’t explode.

The best advice if you plan on drinking a few glasses is to ask them to put the next one in the freezer/fridge as you’re ‘thirsty’.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:10 pm

They could have purchased a quick wine chiller (or two) when the built the lounge out but that would've required foresight.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
They could have purchased a quick wine chiller (or two) when the built the lounge out but that would've required foresight.
I agree entirely with your sentiments although maybe we should all wonder why idiots who built a first class lounge with no consideration of privacy, natural light or acoustics would somehow have the wit to think that the champagne might need chilling.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 1:46 am

Presumably when AA stop doing International First the Chelsea lounge will effectively be a BA lounge with a smattering of CK holders? If so for complaints wouldn't it be more prudent to address them primarily to BA higher ups, say in CCR so they can sort them going forward?
Old Jan 23, 2023, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by enemigo
Presumably when AA stop doing International First the Chelsea lounge will effectively be a BA lounge with a smattering of CK holders? If so for complaints wouldn't it be more prudent to address them primarily to BA higher ups, say in CCR so they can sort them going forward?
AA Flagship Business Plus passengers and CKs will still have access, and the lounge will still be managed by AA.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by enemigo
I would certainly complain to BA. There is a very real understanding now (all the way to the top) at just how badly the ball has been dropped with this waiting room. I’m told there may well be a rather dramatic solution to it being announced shortly but I would not assume that BA will go through with this unless they continue to get the frequency and ferocity of complaints that they’ve had in the last few months.
LHRJFK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.