Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
For the latest updates and discussion related to the champagnes on offer, please visit the sister thread linked below
JFK Chelsea Lounge | la mise jour du champagne
Print Wikipost

British Airways and American Airlines Chelsea Lounge - JFK Terminal 8

Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Sucks.
While not a huge fan of Chelsea, I don't see how that'll have any meaningful effect on crowdedness, while being a bummer for all GGLs.
I don't like the wording either, since it says "flight" rather than itinerary, which could be used to preclude connecting passengers from accessing the lounge (think JFK-ORD-LHR).
Its kind of academic for me as I really try and avoid using it but, on the four or five occasions that I have been in the Chelsea Waiting Bunker ahead of an AA domestic, there have been more staff than customers. I admit that on each occasion this has been a daytime flight (before the busy evening period for transatlantic) but even so I do wonder what the point of this rule is. As I have mentioned before, most CKs who are travelling daytime (and are not in the mood for a Moet and greasy burger / fish and chips session) prefer the Soho.

This policy will simply serve to reduce users even further; which may well be the intention, given the plan that BA now has in mind.
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by golfmad
It seems that the BA website has been updated to reflect just that. Yes.
Oh well.

I'm there on Friday, fortunately on a Transcon, so might ask.

M
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by revorgap
Someone will be happy

What will be more annoying than not having access as GGL on regular domestic routes (contrary to what was previously communicated)?

Seeing someone here doing little victory laps .
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
TBF, the CCR should be above T3 CX F (Gold Lounge) not on par with
Theres also no real comparison between Chelseas burger and chips or fish and chips and the full a la carte menu mixed with J class Chinese snacks that you find in CX F.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGLfL
I hope we are all writing to GGL services - as I have just done - to ask them to pass our complaints on to the higher-ups.
Won't make a difference but I feel better.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Sorry for all you BA folks with this new update/change they did. Doesnt seem fair..

I was wondering about a Guest if I am arriving in F on Transcon. I assumed no and strill think No but just read some additional rules/policies so am a bit confused. I think I read the BA rules though so that may have been my mistake.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Sorry for all you BA folks with this new update/change they did. Doesnt seem fair..

I was wondering about a Guest if I am arriving in F on Transcon. I assumed no and strill think No but just read some additional rules/policies so am a bit confused. I think I read the BA rules though so that may have been my mistake.

Thanks.
No guests if youre in there based on class of travel. The only people that get guests are CK and GGL on eligible itineraries (whatever they are now!).
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000

Thanks.
your sentiments are kind and I am sure well meaning but, honestly, as someone who is fiercely protective of GGL rights, I can’t get too excited about this. The Chelsea Bunker is, frankly, bloody awful in almost every respect. It is a total mystery to me why anyone would want to spend any time in there. I am much happier in the Soho Lounge with natural light and peace and quiet.

I’m afraid the Chelsea Bunker is about to go down in aviation history as one of the most embarrassing farces ever in premium ground services. The less I have to do with it, before it meets its inevitable demise, the better.
AdBoy likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Least clarification has happened. Looks like the lounge will be empty a lot of the time! I suppose that's good.

Be interesting if they honour access if arriving intl and connection domestic to non transcons all one ticket.

Has sanyone had that clarified at all?

I'm assume you do get access, but then again this is BA, so probably never assume anything....
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I’m afraid the Chelsea Bunker is about to go down in aviation history as one of the most embarrassing farces ever in premium ground services. The less I have to do with it, before it meets its inevitable demise, the better.
Why not swap with somebody waiting at the gate for their Y class flight next time then?

I'm no BA apologist, but some of the hyperbole on this thread is embarrassing.
aks120, bafan and dca100 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Why not swap with somebody waiting at the gate for their Y class flight next time then?

I'm no BA apologist, but some of the hyperbole on this thread is embarrassing.
Not quite sure why swapping seats with someone is relevant.

I think at least most people commenting have been in the lounge, and can therefore comment on the current state of affairs based on their own experience. I agree though, I don't have a lot of time for those commenting who have not visited it and are unlikely to do so, yet still feel the need to throw in their two pennies worth of comment due to a strange attraction to the BA forum for reasons which have never been entirely clear.
HFHFFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KARFA
Not quite sure why swapping seats with someone is relevant.

I think at least most people commenting have been in the lounge, and can therefore comment on the current state of affairs based on their own experience. I agree though, I don't have a lot of time for those commenting who have not visited it and are unlikely to do so, yet still feel the need to throw in their two pennies worth of comment due to a strange attraction to the BA forum for reasons which have never been entirely clear.
Oooohhh, low blow sir
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

If I am being less low-blowish, I would say that a description of Chelsea as the worst lounge in the world might be a bit over the top - I am sure we have all been to worse lounges.

However, considering what was before with the CCR, and the complete sh**show will all aspects from lounge eligibility, drinks, food, decoration, service, general feel, etc. on what should be BA's most important outstation, and which still seem to persist months after opening so go beyond what might be considered as initial teething problems - then I would say I understand where that kind of sentiment comes from
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I gave BA the benefit of doubt with all the issues of this lounge. As KARFA says, could have been teething problems at the start.

I think the lounge itself is 'okish'.

But now, nearly 2 months with the ongoing issues, BA then change access rules. (Aka clarification). Icing on the cake, springs to mind.

Certainly , I see this as a downgrade for GGLs in all aspects.

Won't affect us personally that much, as most flights through JFK we have are intl tickets.

But, could this be the continuing downgrade for GGL. Maybe other tiers will soon follow.

Certainly is all very intriguing where it will end.....
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Ambassador and Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by spanishflea
No guests if youre in there based on class of travel. The only people that get guests are CK and GGL on eligible itineraries (whatever they are now!).
Is this also true if departing in BA F? The first post suggests you do get a guest, like the T5 CCR. I looked at both the AA and BA websites and it was not clear to me.

I was hoping to make use of this when travelling with friends who are in CW in a couple of months (no GGL status between us, but 2 travelling in F).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.