Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

13Nov pm - 17Nov am : BAEC account maintenance - cannot login or spend Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
BUGS
1. Promotion to Gold Guest List (Markie)
2. More Gold Upgrades for 2 than there should be (Markie)
3. Flight details have same date for posting as for flight (Markie)
4. American Airline reward flights do not show and cannot be booked online(not sure if they can be booked by phone)
5. Combining avios points with IB is not possible. (alexphj)
6. TP collection year end on landing page shows card expiry date (i.e. end of following month). Correct under 'My Account' sub-menu. (NWIFlyer)
7. No household account although underlying data appears to still be there (many)
8. language set to english (german not available) (Nephoi)
9. AA Business R class domestic flight shows as Economy(R), but properly credits Avios+TP (El_Duderito)
10. Booking reference doesn’t display for partner flights eve though the tag is there (MaxFlyer)
11. Adding/editing contact phone number (for pax and/or additional contact) to 'Australia (+61)' once saved becomes 'Christmas Island (+61)'. (paulieuk)
12. Unable to logon using username - have to use BAEC number instead. (bakera)

'FEATURES'
1. Bronze/Silver/Gold members have some text formatted in Bronze/Silver/Gold text as applicable. Consensus seems to be that it's pretty, but hard to see…

ENHANCEMENTS
1. Additional detail of flights on Front Page (Markie)
2. Scroll back of transactions goes to October 2018 (Markie)
3. Household account redemptions appear differently, with pro-rate Avios transferred from other members into the head of HHA/redeeming member's account, then the total deducted. (sunshinebob) https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33741742-post407.html
Print Wikipost

13Nov pm - 17Nov am : BAEC account maintenance - cannot login or spend Avios

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:10 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I'm also getting an error message when I try and log in, where the message says it'll be back up and running on the 17th of Nov. I wish I could say I'm surprised.
LCY8737 and londonba2014 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:13 am

NoY, bakera, ThatT1Feeling and 9 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I have to say I really feel for the IT team in this case. It's an awful sinking feeling when the (probably already padded) deadline is approaching and testing is still throwing up anomalies or a load service isn't working as planned. It takes a cool head to manage a team in this situation whilst also managing the client expectation when, in fact, you don't actually know when the issue will be resolved.

Fortunately I have never missed my deadline (the wonder of contingency!) but I have had a few squeaky bum times and with data it can quickly become a nightmare, however well planned.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:21 am

Yes. really nice one. Managed to get in. It is possible to log in on most pages (except first page), but it ends in error. Only place I managed to log in was during the booking process. App is not working.
Globaliser likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Discus
Yes. really nice one. Managed to get in. It is possible to log in on most pages (except first page), but it ends in error. Only place I managed to log in was during the booking process. App is not working.
What do you mean? How do you log in without going through the first log in page?
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:27 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
What do you mean? How do you log in without going through the first log in page?
Go start a booking and then when it quotes the RT price it should give you the option to log in to see if you can save by spending Avios... works for me as well.

I'm not the sort of boy that tends to go for the back door approach, but needs must...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I have to say I really feel for the IT team in this case. It's an awful sinking feeling when the (probably already padded) deadline is approaching and testing is still throwing up anomalies or a load service isn't working as planned. It takes a cool head to manage a team in this situation whilst also managing the client expectation when, in fact, you don't actually know when the issue will be resolved.

Fortunately I have never missed my deadline (the wonder of contingency!) but I have had a few squeaky bum times and with data it can quickly become a nightmare, however well planned.
Sorry, I totally disagree here as someone that works in IT.

The Exec Club system isn't that large a database. Yes there are 10's of millions of members, but the transaction rate has to be pretty low. Many, many large companies have many orders of magnitude larger database platforms with web front ends that have zero perceptible down-time during upgrades and migrations. The only reason they've taken it down for so long is that they're cheap. Probably why it's over-run too.
bakera, skiaplg and camdentown like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:13 am

I write as someone with an almost zero knowledge of computers and how their systems operate.

Surely lots of people trying to log on and also trying innovative methods so to do makes it worse? If the BA computer did not have to deal with this maybe it would get back to normal quicker?
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:22 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ratechaser
when it quotes the RT price it should give you the option to log in to see if you can save by spending Avios...
When I got to the accept and continue page there was a login button on the top right.
Clicking it allowed me to log in (obviously through a different URL to the normal BAEC login page because my password manager didn't autofill it).
Once logged in I can right-click on my name where the login button was before and see all the details of my account.
Sadly... still only silver...
COYBIG likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:27 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Surely lots of people trying to log on and also trying innovative methods so to do makes it worse?
No. There is a limit at which web servers can process requests, but you normally have to have a very severe event (like Glastonbury tickets going on sale) or a deliberate attack (called a distributed denial of service attack) that synchronises loads of computers to make it go down.
Someone attacked FT a while back and the people who run it put up countermeasures in a few hours that made you go through a timed wait before you could log in. Any decent website should be able to do the same.
The issues BAEC is facing at the moment are different to the issues you get when lots of people try to access it at once.
We have seen similar things with banks where a system-wide upgrade led to all cash machines not working for a few days. This is the same sort of thing. It is not impacted by how many people attempt to withdraw cash.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Surely lots of people trying to log on and also trying innovative methods so to do makes it worse?
Yes, but for a different reason. If they don't manage to completely freeze the system and users find a back door and transact before it's ready, it becomes a nightmare for the IT team. Makes validation and rollback very difficult.

Originally Posted by paulieuk
I feel really sorry for the poor sods dealing with this on the front end, and try and be supportive when I speak to them on the phone as it will not be nice and there will be nasty people being nasty to them, which is also part of the human 'cost' of this sort of cock-up.
The fact that users are now battering BA's call centres because they haven't managed user expectations by updating the "Wednesday" outage message is indicative of some serious shortcomings here.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ Skywards Gold/Hilton Diamond
It's now beyond shocking, can access website via back door, but cannot rebook flight from NYC in two weeks that BA kindly cancelled from New York two days ago. I can even create a new booking. To change booking I have to phone

Called up and spoke to a lovely lady who's attitude was basically "I cant help you, dunno when things will work" and then put phone down on me.. How do BA just continue to shoot themselves in both feet
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:40 am

Everyone relax. We are the UAT!
MaxFlyer, our_kid, JAXBA and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Sorry, I totally disagree here as someone that works in IT.

The Exec Club system isn't that large a database. Yes there are 10's of millions of members, but the transaction rate has to be pretty low. Many, many large companies have many orders of magnitude larger database platforms with web front ends that have zero perceptible down-time during upgrades and migrations. The only reason they've taken it down for so long is that they're cheap. Probably why it's over-run too.
I don't disagree with you re the timings and probably that they're trying to do it on the cheap. This doesn't conflict with my post which said that I feel for the team who are likely to be stressed and the leadership who are having to answer loads of questions from BA whilst also formulating a plan to get this thing finished.

It really depends on what they're doing, whether there are other intermediate or staging data platforms, merges, joins, transformations, different validation rules from source to target systems, dodgy data which is only now rearing its head, duplicate data, migration services which worked throughout testing but have suddenly decided to fail, This is all speculation on my part but based on real-life examples I have experienced.

My last big (millions of records) data migration would have had all of 15 minutes' downtime based on weeks of planning, but then a global connector service from a source system to Salesforce decided to pack up for 6 hours. Couldn't have been predicted, hadn't happened before and there was nothing we could do about it as it was a 3rd party service to another 3rd party.

I am totally with you in that I suspect BA has contracted its IT services based on price only, which combined with the fact that lots of the back end systems are creaking, really increases the risk for this type of activity. The fact that there is clearly a back door where people can at least see their records and at worst update them really does worry me for the integrity of the data.
Dave_C, BertieBadger and fliegwech like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:51 am

I gave them until 0943. Update on my post yesterday.
Still cannot log into my BAEC account.
App still not working.
Now just get an error , try again later when trying to transfer some nectar points.
So, no change from yesterday. Good job I'm not a starving wretch trying to change some avios into nectar points in order to eat.
I will try again this evening.
fliegwech likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.