Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
I think there is some pruning along side the the switching. I’ve had a CTA flight cancelled with the daily service reduced to 4x.
You're not wrong, the return on the 5th is cancelled. Got to choose between coming back on 4th or 6th.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Seems to be a lot of switches from LGW to LHR. My Salzburg flights outbound late August and back early September switched today. As others reported, seat change notification first, then cancellation and rebooking advice. Flights are same time, same flight number and we're in same seats, just LGW changing to LHR.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
My TFS flights for late August/early September have just switched from LGW to LHR. Not sure whether this entitles me to a refund. Same flight number and flight times but BA do say “the following flights on your booking have been cancelled”
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by alex_b
My TFS flights for late August/early September have just switched from LGW to LHR. Not sure whether this entitles me to a refund. Same flight number and flight times but BA do say “the following flights on your booking have been cancelled”
I thought BA might have some room to wriggle a bit on the requirement to offer refunds but even my directly shifted bookings say, in MMB, “You may obtain a full refund by cancelling your entire booking.” So I guess you are.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by gcuk
Seems to be a lot of switches from LGW to LHR. My Salzburg flights outbound late August and back early September switched today. As others reported, seat change notification first, then cancellation and rebooking advice. Flights are same time, same flight number and we're in same seats, just LGW changing to LHR.
Does anyone know the extent BA will allow changes at the destination? In my case this would be CAG to OLB.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jase76
Does anyone know the extent BA will allow changes at the destination? In my case this would be CAG to OLB.
That would be OK, the permitted difference is 300 miles.

And just to repeat the point that a switch from LGW to LHR counts as a cancellation and a rebook, so a refund is allowed. Strictly speaking something like EDI-LGW-AGP to EDI-LHR-AGP would not count in the same way, but in reality BA would offer refunds in both scenarios.
Jase76, haroon145 and george77300 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
I wonder if they actually intend to start LGW ops on 8th September or are they just doing the cancellations in batches to avoid an overload.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
BA have told their teams that any routes normally at LGW that are flown from LHR will be crewed by LGW flight crew, so I guess a temporary move is happening. No idea if cabin crew will be doing the same.
I believe it's Heathrow cabin crew for now.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:45 pm

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I wonder if they actually intend to start LGW ops on 8th September or are they just doing the cancellations in batches to avoid an overload.
my gut feel - surprised if we see anything from LGW with BA until next summer.

funnily enough my flight moved today the return is on the 9th so see how that pans out...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by Sprodo
my gut feel - surprised if we see anything from LGW with BA until next summer.

funnily enough my flight moved today the return is on the 9th so see how that pans out...
I agree. In general I think we are living now an illusion (summer season, people wanting to go in holidays... ), But I think the winter season is going to be VERY harsh and very slow and quiet.

If covid-19 allows it, probably Spring 2021 will be the time when, hopefully, airlines program a more ambitious flying schedule...
Sprodo and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:20 pm

Many analysts have said that this winter will be deadly, especially with government funding drying up for most airlines. Walsh also said that 2021 will be one of the worst years in aviation. If it’s all true, we’re in for a grim year next year.

Do you think BA would really keep all the LGW short haul routes at LHR for the whole season though? When LH starts up again won’t they be tight for room?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 4:25 pm

I also wonder when BA will adjust the Sept/Oct LGW summer flights. At the moment they say they will return on 8th Sept but I doubt it.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:43 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I also wonder when BA will adjust the Sept/Oct LGW summer flights. At the moment they say they will return on 8th Sept but I doubt it.

I tend to agree with a data point of JFK-LGW 14.09.20 being canx 2 weeks ago.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:40 pm

With most routes, BA have put the prices up since shifting them to LHR. They have only opened up the cheaper buckets for a few destinations. So is it better to book LGW flights for Sept/Oct now to ensure you get a good deal.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The Travel Trade Gazette rang up BA to ask them what was going on. Here is a short extract:

Originally Posted by Travel Trade Gazette
The airline is consolidating all short-haul and domestic services to its main base, shifting hundreds of holiday flights from Gatwick.

A BA spokeswoman said: “We’re looking forward to starting a small number of long haul services from Gatwick in mid-July. Throughout July and August, we’ll be consolidating our Gatwick and Heathrow short-haul flying to operate from our Heathrow base.

“This enables us to drive operational and cost efficiencies across our business at a time when demand is yet to return and international travel restrictions remain in place. We’re proactively letting customers know and recommend checking their booking on ba.com prior to travel.”
I think we had worked this all out by now, but at least there is an official confirmation that LGW has a future, and that some flights will be resuming at LGW fairly soon.
T8191, Oaxaca and Delboy65 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.