Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
From what I gather from a travel agent friend BA have taken all LGW short haul off sale until 8 Sept.
And will all the routes be going to LHR?

I wonder if there’s any point restarting LGW SH ops before W20.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:29 pm

BA have told their teams that any routes normally at LGW that are flown from LHR will be crewed by LGW flight crew, so I guess a temporary move is happening. No idea if cabin crew will be doing the same.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a longstanding glitch that sometimes requires you to enter PNR and surname in the boxes below, it seems to carry the data from the previous screen.
Thanks- that's a relief.
Just booked a back up in case- put on hold for 72 hours
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
My Ibiza has been removed from sale but not showing cancelled on app - if I call today is it likely I can get them to move me to Heathrow or City ?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Chris9642
My Ibiza has been removed from sale but not showing cancelled on app - if I call today is it likely I can get them to move me to Heathrow or City ?

same here with PMI
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by Chris9642
No, afaik it needs to be officially cancelled first - whoever you speak to on the phone will only be able to make changes as if booking still “live” so may be change fees etc depending on the method of booking.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:48 am

Wonder how long BA will take to communicate whether flights are switching to LHR or simply cancelled. I'd rather fly BA as planned, not fussed LGW/LHR, but wondering if it's better to find an alternative before availability drops.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sungod
Wonder how long BA will take to communicate whether flights are switching to LHR or simply cancelled. I'd rather fly BA as planned, not fussed LGW/LHR, but wondering if it's better to find an alternative before availability drops.
If you are keen to travel and aren't too bothered by LHR versus LGW versus LCY, then I would book if you see a reasonable fare. The removal of (say) LGW would only push fares higher overall, but holding a LGW booking would allow you a free switch to LHR or LCY. You would need to stay on top of the situation on routes where seats are selling out. I've highlighted AGP, I suspect some other Spanish resorts will be similar, but it won't be the case for all places.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:28 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Also applies to significant chunks of south and south east London which have good connections to LGW but fairy awkward ones to LHR.
I'm in Croydon, more-or-less equidistant from both LHR and LGW.
14 minute direct train to LGW
1hr15 at best to LHR with multiple changes

Hope LGW returns to how it was eventually..
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:29 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by sungod
It is indeed frustrating not knowing exactly what is happening, however much of this is being driven by events outside BA or any other airlines's control. Until the Government says what is happening with these so called Air Bridges, or quarantining upon return, it is hard to forward plan. I'm afraid that all our patience is wearing thin, but we can only wait. These rolling cancellations have far from abated - and I suspect that if the US keep their ban, then a lot of Transatlantic aircraft will not be flying.
paulaf likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
BA have used 777s to AGP before during IRROPS. and they are going to have lots of 777s lying around spare as there are no long haul air bridges expected in the first wave so I think some of the high volume routes which were heavily booked can still operate.

There will be older people who will no longer wish to travel who will probably not be too keen to pop to Benalmadena this summer freeing up some capacity
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by pauldb
The next discussion may be, if BA do move the flights across to LHR, whether this is treated as a cancellation or just an airport switch. Potentially you won’t get offered the option of a refund.
Data point: I was booked on LGW - TIA, with the outbound on 9 July. Flights switched to LHR. Received an email using the word "cancelled" (nothing on the app), so called and received a full cash refund.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:11 am

I have put some alternative flights onto a 72 hour hold- hopefully the situation may be little clearer by then. EDIT: flights I put on hold at 1am are now £400 more expensive.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jun 30, 2020 at 3:32 am
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:16 am

My LGW to HER has just come through as cancelled- seat changes email which when I look is a move to LHR- 22nd August- inbound changed- return cancelled it seems EDIT: the return is also changed to LHR but we don't seem to have been booked onto it.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jun 30, 2020 at 3:27 am
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:35 am

I was booked to PMI, they just moved me to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.