Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
Doesn’t that work both ways? If you don’t need to slot sit at LHR, you don’t need to slot sit at LGW. So you move the routes where the are most profitable and decide whether it’s just better to close a base. Could still run some LGW flights in W-combinations crewed from LHR.
Yes of course it does. But the requirement to run 80% of winter 2020/21 slots at LHR would trump virtually all arguments to stay at LGW and would force BA to move more quickly. Alternatively, leasing LHR/LGW slots to non-competing airlines such as Aurigny, Eastern and Loganair who could provide some feed as well as keeping BA in control of LHR (and maybe limit others moving in to LGW).
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by pauldb
Doesn’t that work both ways? If you don’t need to slot sit at LHR, you don’t need to slot sit at LGW. So you move the routes where the are most profitable and decide whether it’s just better to close a base. Could still run some LGW flights in W-combinations crewed from LHR.
Is there not a demand (whilst demand maybe challenging low) dynamic missing in that?

Such as BA LGW customers (myself) who live in the south east will choose the next best alternative that works departing LGW to avoid any slog across or around London , i.e EasyJet and Norwegian serve plenty of destinations that BA serve.

This is a part of the equation BA will need to think seriously about in order not loose any market demand to their competitors at LGW. No doubt EasyJet are getting a surge in LGW flight bookings now that the July 6th allows limited summer travel. Are BA already losing customers if customers know that their LGW operations are closed?

Times are changing drastically every week. Let’s stay positive for the staff and see what happens.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Are BA already losing customers if customers know that their LGW operations are closed?

Times are changing drastically every week. Let’s stay positive for the staff and see what happens.
I assume most customers have no idea and will book the many many flights currently on sale from LGW in August (as I have to AGP!) and if it gets switched to LHR they’ll just accept it. I’ll be hoping for it
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I assume most customers have no idea and will book the many many flights currently on sale from LGW in August (as I have to AGP!) and if it gets switched to LHR they’ll just accept it. I’ll be hoping for it
Yes very true. We have done the same to AGP, however our aim is to retain status. So an anomaly I guess. The added component of getting to LHR we will have to stomach.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
The demand is certainly there at LGW. Just booked up for Nice in August and we looked also at easyJet from LGW... a lot of their flights are showing as sold out. The prices for ALC (with BA) also seem to have doubled as well in the last few days.

We're going BA as the prices and times selected were similar, LHR is easier and I had a FTV to use.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Is there not a demand (whilst demand maybe challenging low) dynamic missing in that?

Such as BA LGW customers (myself) who live in the south east will choose the next best alternative that works departing LGW to avoid any slog across or around London , i.e EasyJet and Norwegian serve plenty of destinations that BA serve.

This is a part of the equation BA will need to think seriously about in order not loose any market demand to their competitors at LGW. No doubt EasyJet are getting a surge in LGW flight bookings now that the July 6th allows limited summer travel. Are BA already losing customers if customers know that their LGW operations are closed?

Also applies to significant chunks of south and south east London which have good connections to LGW but fairy awkward ones to LHR.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Also applies to significant chunks of south and south east London which have good connections to LGW but fairy awkward ones to LHR.
Agreed. Sorry my reference to south east was very much south and east.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
The demand is certainly there at LGW. Just booked up for Nice in August and we looked also at easyJet from LGW... a lot of their flights are showing as sold out. The prices for ALC (with BA) also seem to have doubled as well in the last few days.

We're going BA as the prices and times selected were similar, LHR is easier and I had a FTV to use.
I don’t think “sold out” flights should be taken literally - I think easyJet have taken them off sale in expectation of cancelling. As in the case of NCE, you wouldn’t have 3 sold out flights but be selling the flights in between for £45.

Likewise BA look to have ramped prices just to see if/how demand reappears this week.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 3:53 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BBBB99
Rumor has it that the LGW IFCE management will disclose this coming week that there will not be a LGW short haul operation (base) for the foreseeable future.
So this is being chattered about in the US given the way that you spell Rumour?

I am of the opinion that there is an awful lot of hearsay and tittle-tattle being given the status of actuality. I worry for the Gatwick based staff who are being dangled on a bit of string and that unsubstantiated reports like this, as previously stated does nothing to improve their anxiety. Indeed I think of all the staff in derived demand services (Hotels, Car Rental and Parking come to mind) who must be worried sick.

One thing is certain is that everything depends on which countries open their borders and whether the UK drops this idiotic quarantine requirement. One thing that I do believe is that not many people from around the world are going to come knocking on our doors so most demand is going to be domestic. Our European airline industry had been very badly hit because there is not large domestic network such as have the USA.

I fear that speculation and personal opinion apart we are just going to have to wait and see what does transpire. If there is a second peak then all bets are off,
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:06 pm

So what’s the chances of LGW to RAK being cancelled on 23/7? I think it’s highly likely....
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by haroon145
So what’s the chances of LGW to RAK being cancelled on 23/7? I think it’s highly likely....
Yes, a high chance in my view. It's currently a Red country, though this may change by Wednesday when the list is published.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Agreed

Old Jun 29, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It is simpler than people think:

If BA needs to use its slots at Heathrow, it will move everything necessary out of Gatwick in order to achieve that

But .....
BA also needs to deal with distancing issues in Terminal 5. Having a massive empty terminal and lounge at Gatwick makes no sense either.

This is why the rumour - that long-hauls will continue from Gatwick (and may be supplemented by additional routes leaving Heathrow) whilst short haul will not makes some sense. You are maximising the slots used at Heathrow whilst also minimising the number of people using T5.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
This is why the rumour - that long-hauls will continue from Gatwick (and may be supplemented by additional routes leaving Heathrow) whilst short haul will not makes some sense. You are maximising the slots used at Heathrow whilst also minimising the number of people using T5.
Huh? No Long Haul routes are moving to Gatwick so dumping a load of extra SH routes into Heathrow is hardly minimizing the number of people using T5, is it? It’s only minimizing the number of people using the South Terminal at LGW. I don’t quite follow that logic.

Having just said that Gatwick routes are disappearing from BA.com so there’s something afoot.

Last edited by JerseyPilot; Jun 29, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:07 pm

Yes there’s definitely something happening with LGW short haul. Now nothing seems to be available till 8th September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.