Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:07 am
Original Poster

BA to close at Gatwick?

Just heard a snippet on the BBC news that BA will close its operations at Gatwick permanently - is this right, can't find a link to post yet? What about all the slots for leisure travel? That's all my holidays gone then!

BBC News has seen a letter from
@British_Airways
bosses warning its Gatwick operation may not re-open: "need to ensure our remaining operation is efficient, flexible & cost-competitive to enable us to survive in an increasingly lean & unpredictable industry” via
@TomBurridgebbc

Last edited by paulaf; Apr 30, 2020 at 7:18 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Executive Club
I think they are talking about 12,000 redundancies, and losing 25% of their pilots, so that will mean a lot of routes going, and reduced frequency on those that are left. They will be probably be able to operate all flights out of T5 Heathrow without the need for any flights from Gatwick. But some of the routes from Gatwick will continue and will just relocate to Heathrow, that's my understanding of what's been said.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paulaf
Just heard a snippet on the BBC news that BA will close its operations at Gatwick permanently - is this right, can't find a link to post yet? What about all the slots for leisure travel? That's all my holidays gone then!
The cancelling of holidays would really have been independent of Gatwick or not. Maybe they will operate from Heathrow but more likely anything for the next four months is in danger of being axed for a number of reasons.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Someone didn't get the memo:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...ID-19-lockdown
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:18 am

I thought that Cancun, Barbados, Orlando and Las Vegas were confirmed as restarting the last week in May, but all other Gatwick routes were on hold for the time being.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
OK, in the interest of trying to keep this as factual as possible, here is the actual story, there is a clear logical flaw coming up!

Originally Posted by BBC Business news website
British Airways has told staff its Gatwick airport operation may not reopen after the coronavirus pandemic passes.The admission came in a memo, written by the head of BA's Gatwick operation and seen by BBC News. BA's Gatwick operation, which is currently suspended, is roughly a fifth as big as its Heathrow hub.

In a separate letter to pilots, BA said it cannot rule out suspending the rest of its Heathrow operation. In the letter, it notes that some of its rivals abroad are facing tough competition. It adds that a quarter of BA's 4,300 pilots are set to lose their jobs. The letter from senior management says: "We need to ensure that our remaining operation is efficient, flexible and cost-competitive to enable us to survive in an increasingly lean and unpredictable industry."
Hoch, KARFA and Tottie66 like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I thought that Cancun, Barbados, Orlando and Las Vegas were confirmed as restarting the last week in May, but all other Gatwick routes were on hold for the time being.
The latter two can’t restart until those airports are allowed to accept flights from the UK again.

I wasn’t aware that was on the cards any time soon, but am happy to be proved wrong.
T8191 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, in the interest of trying to keep this as factual as possible, here is the actual story, there is a clear logical flaw coming up!

What a muddle. So 75% of Gatwick can fit into the spare capacity if 25% of Heathrow is cut. Still seems premature to say this when many European countries are saying their airports will open late June/early July, the destinations i am interested in Spain/Greece/Cyprus for example.
delores likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Unless I’m missing something here but let’s say that Norwegian doesn’t survive, Richard doesn’t find a Virgin buyer and BA pulls out of LGW then we are left with EasyJet and Ryanair amongst a few other smaller players, every little long haul offerings so with BA surely they’d be better off staying put?

Or is this PR tactics for other on-goings such a staff redundancies and getting the Gov to step in in some form. Closing LGW really doesn’t make sense in my head but then again I’m not running an airline!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:53 am

I think we also need to factor in that with less flights, fares are going to rise. And if social distancing is required on flights, even more so. A lot of the Gatwick flights were based on the low-cost principle, and I'm wondering whether that will apply to the New Normal.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, TK Elite, Dragonpass, HH Silver
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Unless I’m missing something here but let’s say that Norwegian doesn’t survive, Richard doesn’t find a Virgin buyer and BA pulls out of LGW then we are left with EasyJet and Ryanair amongst a few other smaller players, every little long haul offerings so with BA surely they’d be better off staying put?

Or is this PR tactics for other on-goings such a staff redundancies and getting the Gov to step in in some form. Closing LGW really doesn’t make sense in my head but then again I’m not running an airline!
Yes, I think there may be an element of posturing from BA re: your bolded words!

No doubt all scenarios are being run but at this stage but I doubt any major concrete decisions like that have been made.

Last edited by davehammer; Apr 30, 2020 at 8:05 am Reason: Rewording to be clearer
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
It's not really what the memo said. They talk about not knowing when or if they can restart at Gatwick, along with ground crew and cabin crew contract changes. It was more of a 'we don't quite know what's going to happen, but we're going to prepare for it anyway' type memo.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Oh well...at least the good news is that this has all (very finally) put an end to the debate on whether or not a new runway should be built...looks like Boris made the right call.

Now if he could just make the same call and cancel HS2 he'll have £100bn plus to spend on the NHS and in particular the social service sector that been so starved.

Off topic I know...

Chris
AlanA, Silver Fox, rakehey and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
What's the slot situation like at Gatwick? We always hear about the valuable prized Heathrow slots, so would BA rather hold onto all their Heathrow slots and sacrifice Gatwick ones, or are some Gatwick slots worth saving too financially?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by JessicaB
those are probably the ones that will end up at Heathrow if Gatwick closes.

i doubt long haul at Gatwick will have to be dropped as BA holds a monopoly on a lot of the routes. It has quite an extensive short haul operation which i imagine where most of the cuts will come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.