Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2020, 9:48 am

Rumor has it that the LGW IFCE management will disclose this coming week that there will not be a LGW short haul operation (base) for the foreseeable future.
revorgap likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by plunet
Seems to be some sad news today about the impacts on the BA flight deck crews and possible impacts for Gatwick

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...he-sun-reports
See post #111 in the other thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32491076-post111.html
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Looks like LGW will be long haul beach fleet only then and frankly you could fly that from LHR for the next year or two?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Ah, thanks. I was surprised that it hadn't already been shared on the forum.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by BBBB99
Rumor has it that the LGW IFCE management will disclose this coming week that there will not be a LGW short haul operation (base) for the foreseeable future.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:08 am

Oh no! This is awful news and massive news. So will we see all the short haul routes go up to LHR?

And if this is the case, why are so many European destinations scheduled from LGW in July/August?

Last edited by BAeuro; Jun 28, 2020 at 11:18 am
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:25 am

Let’s hope it’s just a rumour!
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:37 am

enough time to evaluate and restructure Level UK Ltd (LGW) or whatever its now been registered as.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:55 am

There must be some really horrid cuts coming for W20. I know this situation has been bad but I never would have imagined that BA would be downsizing so much. To be able to fit all LGW SH ops in LHR really shows the scale of this.

I wonder if they’re running some LGW flights this summer while they decide what will happen to LGW crew and then by October that’ll be it. So so sad!

I guess the 10 GAT aircraft will go as they were old second hand birds anyway.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Isn't the future LGW S/H operation massively dependent on what happens to the LHR slot protection for W20? If BA's slots are protected for the winter season, then there is less of a requirement to move ops away from LGW. No protection, then will BA move everything they can into LHR to protect their fortress (and avoid a huge balance sheet writedown for the slot losses).

Given that we are only 4 months away from the Winter 2020/21 season starting, maybe the EU should be thinking about giving an indication about whats going to happen soon?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Since the LGW domestics were greatly reduced a few years ago, LGW has been of little or no use to me and doubtless many others since then. If it means more short haul destinations to those “interesting” Short haul holiday destinations like TIA depart LHR instead, then from my point of view I’m happy about it. Bad for staff and many customers but not everyone
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:47 pm

Please state your source because all you’re doing is adding unnecessary extra stress to all those crew who work at Gatwick.

The Sun article about the Balpa deal was riddled with inconsistencies not surprising given the source of the article was cobbled together from Whatsapp messages whose source is unknown. This is the same paper that claimed in 1989 that Liverpool fans were urinating on dead bodies at Hillsborough.

To clarify the truth and - contrary to the claims of The Sun (“Balpa negotiations succeeded in their bid to ensure BA did not enact a ‘last in first out policy’ ”) - Balpa are in fact pressing for LIFO to be applied in the unfortunate event of Compulsory Redundancies as it forms part of the Pilots’ Memorandum of Agreement and is contractual. Closing Gatwick and subsequently making those pilots redundant does not represent a success for Balpa (as claimed by The Sun) as it does not follow LIFO. Only 75 Gatwick pilots make up the bottom 350 of the Pilot Master Seniority List.

(And that’s just the start of what’s wrong with what The Sun “reported” this morning)
delores and BAeuro like this.

Last edited by JerseyPilot; Jun 28, 2020 at 1:04 pm
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
Seems to be some sad news today about the impacts on the BA flight deck crews and possible impacts for Gatwick

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...he-sun-reports
The report in The Sun was refuted by BALPA earlier today.
delores likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My curiosity is piqued by the use of the term “(base)” which could mean many things to BA outsiders.

I shall not disturb a brain cell to determine what that actually means ... we all face an uncertain future, whether LHR- or LGW-centric.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
Isn't the future LGW S/H operation massively dependent on what happens to the LHR slot protection for W20? If BA's slots are protected for the winter season, then there is less of a requirement to move ops away from LGW. No protection, then will BA move everything they can into LHR to protect their fortress (and avoid a huge balance sheet writedown for the slot losses).

Given that we are only 4 months away from the Winter 2020/21 season starting, maybe the EU should be thinking about giving an indication about whats going to happen soon?
Doesn’t that work both ways? If you don’t need to slot sit at LHR, you don’t need to slot sit at LGW. So you move the routes where the are most profitable and decide whether it’s just better to close a base. Could still run some LGW flights in W-combinations crewed from LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.