Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Do you have any insight about BA reopening at South?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paulaf
Do you have any insight about BA reopening at South?
At the moment we can only go on BA’s schedule which indicates a limited flying programme from July.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAeuro
At the moment we can only go on BA’s schedule which indicates a limited flying programme from July.
I know thanks but that could change overnight.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:50 pm

I know thanks but that could change overnight.
I completely get your frustration. I’m feeling the same. I’d like them to say what routes are being axed, which ones are going to LHR and which ones are running. But alas, we get nothing.
delores likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 3:59 pm

As WW has said a few times in his interviews, BA is going to be a lot smaller business. If that means BA only run from LHR for July then this wouldn’t surprise me. Nothing surprises anymore in 2020!

I imagine it all boils down to the demand they’re seeing on an hourly, if not minute by minute basis vs cancellations. Which will be ever changing as people watch for the daily/weekly government guidelines/speculations circulatIng. Then there’s the very sensitive, extremely sad issue over redundancies which no doubt impact how BA returns to LGW.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAeuro
I completely get your frustration. I’m feeling the same. I’d like them to say what routes are being axed, which ones are going to LHR and which ones are running. But alas, we get nothing.
I agree as I'd be more inclined to book for July then, the Easyjet site seems easier to follow what's scheduled and what's cancelled.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
As WW has said a few times in his interviews, BA is going to be a lot smaller business. If that means BA only run from LHR for July then this wouldn’t surprise me. Nothing surprises anymore in 2020!

I imagine it all boils down to the demand they’re seeing on an hourly, if not minute by minute basis vs cancellations. Which will be ever changing as people watch for the daily/weekly government guidelines/speculations circulatIng. Then there’s the very sensitive, extremely sad issue over redundancies which no doubt impact how BA returns to LGW.
Very true.

I don’t know how they will plan the winter schedule, it’s going to be so difficult to predict the virus and customer’s willingness to fly. It’s normally about June/July they firm up winter so it’ll probably be creeping into their mind.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BA MUST protect its Heathrow slots at all costs. The ONLY way to do this is to move flights from Gatwick to Heathrow.

That's it. No other reason.

Given the issues that Heathrow is going to have over distancing, lounge overcrowding etc whilst the South Terminal at Gatwick sits - almost literally - empty with its - empty - lounge complex, this will come to a head sooner rather than later. It wouldn't surprise me, if a slot waiver is given for the Winter season, that BA goes back to Gatwick immediately.
memesweeper likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Well, my Antalya flights from LGW in August have been cancelled. Don't appear to be options to rebook from LHR so that's that then. Will dig deeper later, but not unexpected.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Well, my Antalya flights from LGW in August have been cancelled. Don't appear to be options to rebook from LHR so that's that then. Will dig deeper later, but not unexpected.
What dates were your flights? I’ve got flights booked in August as well, but still showing in my MMB. Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by rontse
What dates were your flights? I’ve got flights booked in August as well, but still showing in my MMB. Thanks.
23-30th. Assumed they might switch to LHR but looks like they've cancelled all Antalya flights now.

Ha, with no BA flights cancelled but loads on other airlines I'd missed the farce of getting a refund now it's been removed as an option from MMB. Is there a secret number / time to call anyone (no status). Other airlines are sitting on my money with no issue from me, but I'm taking against BA with their current stance against their staff so would like a prompt refund.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:22 am

Unfortunately, whilst the rest of the aviation industry is busy making plans to get back to action, BA have chosen to prioritize a fight with their staff and have taken their eye completely off what actually makes them money. What the board are doing at this time I have no idea. If I was on it I’d be absolutely furious..
Lynyrd, delores and paulaf like this.

Last edited by JerseyPilot; Jun 10, 2020 at 4:28 am
Old Jun 10, 2020, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Malaga and Rhodes still hanging on at Gatwick for July.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:16 am

Not of any surprise, my August 2nd, LGW to YYZ was just cancelled today.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Malaga and Rhodes still hanging on at Gatwick for July.
I expect the UK quarantine rules will be relaxed by July, to select countries where infection rates are lower (I know...). I think Spain and Greece are likely to support inward UK tourism, by then, if they haven't already made that clear.

If you're hoping to go, hold onto the tickets, the prices could jump when the picture becomes clearer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.