Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
So it is likely that BA will restart short haul operations at LGW in September? Do I read that right?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BAeuro
So it is likely that BA will restart short haul operations at LGW in September? Do I read that right?
My reading is that 6 and 7 September is when LGW resumes something closer to normal operations.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:31 pm

With most routes, BA have put the prices up since shifting them to LHR. They have only opened up the cheaper buckets for a few destinations. So is it better to book LGW flights for Sept/Oct now to ensure you get a good deal.
One knock-on effect of all of this is the price of on-airport parking at LHR. It's gone through the roof! Last night, for two weeks in August, LS T5 was on offer for around £150, today it is no longer available. With the POD sold out, only SS T5 is available, at around £220.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Robert279
One knock-on effect of all of this is the price of on-airport parking at LHR. It's gone through the roof! Last night, for two weeks in August, LS T5 was on offer for around £150, today it is no longer available. With the POD sold out, only SS T5 is available, at around £220.
That’s because they’ve shut the Pod and the Business Parking so ripping people off for short stay and cranking up the price of the Long Stay.

At this rate I may have to consider removing Purple and one or two other third parties off my procurement blacklist.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Robert279
However if you want to take the risk (or book a refundable rate) parking and hotel prices for Gatwick in September and October are cheaper than I've ever seen.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:23 pm

I think a big test for reopening more air traffic, especially LGW, comes in the next 2-4 weeks here in England with the reopening of the hospitality industry. It will test the public and whether with our responses, we really understand this crisis and controlling the spread.

Equally people jetting off to spain and elsewhere, next week, doesn’t undo all the efforts of nations controlling the virus.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I think a big test for reopening more air traffic, especially LGW, comes in the next 2-4 weeks here in England with the reopening of the hospitality industry. It will test the public and whether with our responses, we really understand this crisis and controlling the spread.

Equally people jetting off to spain and elsewhere, next week, doesn’t undo all the efforts of nations controlling the virus.
My personal (and admittedly very cynical) opinion is that mass holidays will be part of the ‘solution’ in the UK. As in, get rid of a load of people at a time from the UK and it will limit the gathering at our own seaside resorts and in pubs, parks and the general restlessness that would otherwise ensue here. It’s a classic tactic for the current government, push the problem somewhere else rather than deal with actual causation factors.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 4:46 am

Upcoming bookings LGW - RAK on 30 July, and LGW - PHO on 11 Aug switched to LHR. Email message said that they had been cancelled, so I called to request a refund. Was offered avios in lieu of cash but opted for the cash. Now all BA-ed out until Dec, which is what we prefer at the moment - currently looking for flights on other airlines for a Sept break.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:44 pm

I would really like some advice/knowledge/opinions please.

I am looking to book a holiday in September and I know the short haul routes switch back to LGW on 8th September. There are options I like, but the flights go out from LHR and back to LGW. What are the chances they extend these routes at LHR? Or are they really likely to go back to LGW on that date?
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
I would really like some advice/knowledge/opinions please.

I am looking to book a holiday in September and I know the short haul routes switch back to LGW on 8th September. There are options I like, but the flights go out from LHR and back to LGW. What are the chances they extend these routes at LHR? Or are they really likely to go back to LGW on that date?
Is it not worth booking anyway and worst case scenario getting a one way National Express? PITA I know but desperate times and all that...
esledo likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
8th of September is the current PLANNED date, but there have been a few of those so there is every chance we will continue to see September, October, November and beyond Route News and updates posts. Within three weeks there’s is every possibility the country will be in lock down again.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Platinum Ambassador
Just had an email from BA to say that my flights to Bermuda on 17th and 31st July are now operating from LGW North....

Wonder what they are offering for lounge access.....
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by greyt
Just had an email from BA to say that my flights to Bermuda on 17th and 31st July are now operating from LGW North....

So strange they didn’t just move it to LHR with the short haul services.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)

Oh just realised BA are back in their old stomping ground again!
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver / EI Silver

I just got the email as well for LGW-BDA on the 31st. Hopefully one of the third party lounges will be open in LGW North.

So strange they didn’t just move it to LHR with the short haul services.
I would prefer if they moved it to LHR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.