Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alexwuk
September 2021 update:

Suspensions of all remaining LGW short haul services further extended to 26 March 2022, with the exception of: one daily MAN-LGW-MAN rotation (BA2509/BA2508) and one daily GLA-LGW-GLA rotation (BA2511/BA2512)

Many LGW short haul routes will continue to operate from LHR in the meantime; exceptions are ALC/CGN/DBV/GOA, which have been suspended until 26th March 2022 ie these destinations will not operated by BA this Winter.

Print Wikipost

BA at Gatwick 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Any internal memo on LGW? Is short haul still planned to come back mid Sept ?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by BAeuro
can only say we have flight to HER leaving from LHR (moved from LGW) but currently returning to LGW(S) in early September, so can guess the current opening date is between 6th and 11th September...
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business

SH & LH are returning( EDIT>>: more so and in greater volume. <<EDIT) to LGW from 10th Sept onwards. As a data point im OB LHR-TFS 04th Sept but it will return to LGW on the 11th Sept'.

Off the top of my head I thin it's about 15 routes restarting 10th, 5-8 11th and ramping up from there for the rest of the month( mixed LH & SH). There's a published list I can't find right now( no lies. Days off now and had a drinky so cba to find the thing)
orbitmic, JustTheOne and Akoz like this.

Last edited by TWCLAM; Jul 21, 2020 at 4:43 pm Reason: clarifying-ish
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Willie Walsh did say a few weeks back that Gatwick still has an important role to play with BA. He said Gatwick had the type of market that at these times BA needed. Leisure travel is looking to recover more quickly than business travel and Gatwick is a lower cost airport to operate from than Heathrow. Leisure travellers may well be even more price conscious post Covid 19 and BA fares from Gatwick are competitive. The operation may be smaller for a while but could well rebound more quickly than the more business orientated routes at Heathrow.
Interestingly BA have announced Gatwick to Montego Bay from October. I booked Gatwick to Paphos for next June and the Club cabin was looking pretty full already. So much so I reserved my seats, something I don’t usually
do.
I wonder if Virgin may have been too hasty in leaving Gatwick. They may have assumed incorrectly that all their Gatwick passengers will follow them to Heathrow. Maybe they will, but with BA operating to similar destinations from lower cost Gatwick it could give BA the edge.
These are just personal thoughts. We shall see.
T8191 and Akoz like this.

Last edited by vectismanpaul; Jul 22, 2020 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC
The only thing is, does it make sense to bring LGW Short Haul back before W20? Surely just keeping it at LHR for the rest of Sept/Oct is just easier. Especially if the South terminal remains closed.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 11:27 am

There has been minimal intervention in the September schedule so far. I wouldn’t read too far into what is currently showing as LGW, work on September doesn’t start in earnest until next week.
adrianlondon and orbitmic like this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
The only thing is, does it make sense to bring LGW Short Haul back before W20? Surely just keeping it at LHR for the rest of Sept/Oct is just easier. Especially if the South terminal remains closed.
On routes where they successfully compete with EZY I thinks they have to, the cost base from LHR is just too high.
orbitmic and James91 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Akoz
On routes where they successfully compete with EZY I thinks they have to, the cost base from LHR is just too high.
And more generally, there is a danger in letting the competition get an exclusivity on those routes for too long.

Many people on this forum think of LHR as the natural preferred departure point for Central London, but we should bear in mind that LGW also serves as the "home" airport for much of the South East coast, Surrey, and Sussex, which have a large and wealthy population. If, say, you live in Brighton, Eastbourne, or Southampton and want to fly off to AGP, VCE, or NCE for your holiday, you'll choose LGW over LHR or LCY any day, and if only U2 offer this at the moment, that will mean picking them.
rockflyertalk and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Yes +1 to that, LHR is a nicer airport than LGW generally but I'd pick LGW for convenience given the option for business or pleasure as it's just so much easier to get to, I can't imagine I'm alone. An hour or so saved and not schlepping the length of the Piccadilly line / fighting round the M25 goes a long way
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:32 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If, say, you live in Brighton, Eastbourne, or Southampton and want to fly off to AGP, VCE, or NCE for your holiday, you'll choose LGW over LHR or LCY any day, and if only U2 offer this at the moment, that will mean picking them.
Southampton? Heathrow is generally much better and quicker to get to than Gatwick. The direct train to Gatwick is slow and very frequently cancelled as the Southampton to London Victoria service is not a key one for Southern. If you drive you are either cross country through West Sussex or if you take the M3 you then have an extra 30 miles to do compared to going to LHR and all of that on the SW segment of the congested M25.

Brighton, Eastbourne....yes but really not Southampton.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: British Airways Exec, Virgin Atlantic
Anyone on the east side of London can get to Gatwick far easier. I live in Bromley and get a bus to East Croydon and then the train down, all on contactless oyster for about £6. For Heathrow its the slow, old Picadilly Line or the ruinously expensive Heathrow Express.

And more generally, there is a danger in letting the competition get an exclusivity on those routes for too long.

Many people on this forum think of LHR as the natural preferred departure point for Central London, but we should bear in mind that LGW also serves as the "home" airport for much of the South East coast, Surrey, and Sussex, which have a large and wealthy population. If, say, you live in Brighton, Eastbourne, or Southampton and want to fly off to AGP, VCE, or NCE for your holiday, you'll choose LGW over LHR or LCY any day, and if only U2 offer this at the moment, that will mean picking them.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:41 am
Suspended

...If, say, you live in....Southampton and want to fly off to AGP, VCE, or NCE for your holiday, you'll choose LGW over LHR or LCY any day, and if only U2 offer this at the moment, that will mean picking them.
You’d probably have your fingers crossed for more flights from....SOU.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Even from where I used to live in Stevenage, to drive to LHR was approx 1hr or a £50+ taxi journey or a train to London then the long Piccadilly line ride all the way from Finsburk Park or King's Cross St Pancras. To get to LGW was a single Thameslink train from Stevenage, no changes necessary and cheap too. It certainly took longer but it was just easier and I could get some work done sitting in the declassified first class cabin at the back of the train where there are tables.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by richardwft
You’d probably have your fingers crossed for more flights from....SOU.
You'd be a lot more optimistic than me if you were to think that there is a prompt possibility of this happening...
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite

I'm is East Surrey and that is exactly my situation. Happy to pay slightly more to fly BA (I really like the LGW club lounge, especially compared to LHR), but most of my flying is to EDI and U2 are currently getting my custom as LGW is too easy being only 20 mins away. Not going to hump over to LHR taking a hour more each way just to pay more to park and higher fares to fly BA.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.