Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think the FO issued a travel warning for Sri Lanka recently so any travel insurance may be void if you travel. Safety first.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
From https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sri-lanka

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka, due to ongoing political and economic instability. This advice does not apply to airside transit through Sri Lanka’s international airport.

Having said that probably not the best TP run to be doing at the moment if there are other options!
Old May 20, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I think the FO issued a travel warning for Sri Lanka recently so any travel insurance may be void if you travel. Safety first.
They have, but transiting CMB is specifically excluded from the warning: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/sri-lanka
Lefly likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM
Hi all,

I've switched my FFP to BA from AA and have a newbie question. I already have enough TP for silver, however, I don't have any BA segments yet. To meet the four flight BA requirement must the flights only be on (or marketed by) BA or IB (flight numbers)?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by rollthere
To meet the four flight BA requirement must the flights only be on (or marketed by) BA or IB (flight numbers)?
The answer can be found in the appropriate thread (Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2022 edition), under the section What is a qualifying flight?, which however should be slightly more precise, since IB by IB means Grupo Iberia operated.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by ermis177
You can book it direct with AA. You need to download the power tools extension
Showing my ignorance - what is the power tools extension (extension to what?) and where can I get it from? Thanks.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:22 am

Any tips how to get an ITIN to book with AA, via powertools? keep getting the error message something went wrong.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CW2000
Hi everyone, I am Gold with a June renewal. I am about to book the BUD-HNL to renew on the reduced threshold. I have 3K in BA vouchers which expire next year so would like to utilise these. A few questions if I may;

1) Is the HNL fare only bookable ITA Matrix via AA website?
2) Any advice how to book via BA?
I called BA to book my BUD-HNL jaunt and gave them the flight numbers (all BA) and they booked it and charged me in GBP at a better rate than I would have got on a 0% Halifax card, paid using BA Amex so got a shed load of Avios as well (This bit not applicable to you due to FTV's) Managed to upgrade to First on the LHR-DFW-LHR route using Avios aw well!
Markie and our_kid like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Have you tried www.bookwithmatrix.com and select American Airlines in the pull down menu?

Last edited by antipest; May 21, 2022 at 12:57 am Reason: keys moved on keyboard!
Old May 21, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by higham44
Showing my ignorance - what is the power tools extension (extension to what?) and where can I get it from? Thanks.
Have a look here, I chose Chrome but it’s available for other browsers. Essentially a small program or extension that works with your browser to do something extra, in this case the extra is direct your Matrix itinerary to a booking option like AA or BA.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kolnplpp?hl=en
MaxFlyer and Rim1 like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Any tips how to get an ITIN to book with AA, via powertools? keep getting the error message something went wrong.
Try AA Germany, that often is the most reliable option. The extension is not flawless, I find anything more than a very simple routing will never work with BA. AA Germany usually best for me, but def not 100%.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Be sure that you have specified the correct sales city when originally searching for the itinerary at ITA Matrix.
For example, if you would like to book through AA UK, specify the sales city as London, UK when beginning your search.
Old May 21, 2022, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by antipest
I called BA to book my BUD-HNL jaunt and gave them the flight numbers (all BA) and they booked it and charged me in GBP at a better rate than I would have got on a 0% Halifax card, paid using BA Amex so got a shed load of Avios as well (This bit not applicable to you due to FTV's) Managed to upgrade to First on the LHR-DFW-LHR route using Avios aw well!
Which office did you call? I’ve tried making new bookings over the phone with BA and it does not seem possible at the moment.

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2022, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by efincomputer
Best bet is to start out with a fairly wide set of requirements. populate a simple return in business class between your start and end point (in this case i've chosen BUD and HNL because I know there is a good fare around at the moment - thanks to FT!) Don't initially put in any routing codes (or if you do, just use LHR for both ends) and make sure you have Oneworld Alliance set in the extension codes. Then search based on calendar of lowest fares, with a duration of 0-7 night and do an initial search (at least 6 months out) to find some dates with the duration you're after and at roughly the right price.

The try adding a couple of additional routing options in (in my case, I added in LHR HEL LAX initially, and the same in reverse). ITA doesnt seem to handle more than three connections in either direction on the simple return.

Once you have another set of flights at the right dates, make a note of the dates and then change to a multi-city search. Split your journey into a couple of different flights in each direction (remember you can add routing options into each of these flights) - for example:

this then gives you some additional options and lets you optimise your routes, but the importance is to be flexible with your dates, and ensure you select the "+/-2days" option against each departure. This is the exact search that i used to get the results I posted earlier.

There's quite a few youtube videos out there and i'm sure some of our fellow FTers can provide other suggestions.
Is this fare still available - I have tried the exact search as per your first screenshot and get a nil return ? Any tips welcome
Old May 21, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by petez
Is this fare still available - I have tried the exact search as per your first screenshot and get a nil return ? Any tips welcome
Still available - for example in January 2023:

You'll need to be patient if you're looking to optimise for Tier Points, schedule, aircraft, stopovers and purchase options (e.g. selecting British Airways fares only will increase the price a little, as will adding in HEL and JFK)

Last edited by Ned1968; May 21, 2022 at 2:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.