Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by megaloman
Looks like one of your segments on return does not have I class, so books you into more expensive J class.
Ah brilliant. This is the missing piece that I hadn't considered so far.
Sorry if this is basic but am I correct in thinking I have to first find a route and then find the cheapest fare class across all flights (through trying a few different dates)?

Slowly getting there but if it was easy everyone would be doing it!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:29 pm

I'm searching for good deals ex-EU to achieve further 285TP until December 2022.
My results so far:
LUX-LHR-BHD-LHR-LUX 160TP for 330€
AMS/LUX-LHR-OTP-LHR-LUX/AMS 240TP for 480€
LHR-SOF-LHR 5-nights holiday deal 320TP for 475€, but in this case I wouldn't stay 5 nights and would rather fly to my hometown for another 90€ return. Is this allowed? Does BA know, if I am not staying at the hotel?
Old Jun 6, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by inrather
Does BA know, if I am not staying at the hotel?
BA neither knows nor cares if you stay at the hotel. You've paid for five nights accommodation, that's what matters.
inrather likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by acearchie
Congrats on reaching the milestone! I hit my fifth yesterday.

There must be something I'm getting wrong in the ITA matrix because I copied your itinerary perfectly and when I forced the routing codes it said that no flights were available.

Then when I took them out I at least find a route but the price absolutely sky rockets!

Also be careful, you're breaking the outbound leg in ORD which, if I remember correctly, only gives 40 (or 80?) TP instead of the full 140TP of long haul sectors. JFK and BOS are safe for sure, might worth checking over other east coasts stops
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:30 am

Best TP run to end in AUS…

Hi all,

Heading to Austin in late October so thought I’d see if I could make it a TP opportunity.

Reasonable fares starting BUD/DUB via LHR but wondering what the options might be for spitting the USA up. Looked at LHR - JFK but AUS then gives only 40TPs; JFK - LAX - AUS is not permitted and costs soar… anyone have any creative thoughts?

Thanks, as ever…
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonGlobalist
Hi all,

Heading to Austin in late October so thought I’d see if I could make it a TP opportunity.

Reasonable fares starting BUD/DUB via LHR but wondering what the options might be for spitting the USA up. Looked at LHR - JFK but AUS then gives only 40TPs; JFK - LAX - AUS is not permitted and costs soar… anyone have any creative thoughts?

Thanks, as ever…
There are three things that immediately come to mind, though I don't know if any of them are possible for your particular itinerary.

1. Try PHX as a connection point instead of LAX. I was able to route via PHX when I flew from Manchester to San Antonio a few years ago.
2. Insert another connection point between the east coast gateway and AUS for an additional 40 TPs.
3. Try routing via HEL (e.g. BUD-LHR-HEL-JFK(-???)-AUS) for an additional 80 TPs.
dougzz and LondonGlobalist like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
BA neither knows nor cares if you stay at the hotel. You've paid for five nights accommodation, that's what matters.
I can personally testify to that
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:59 am

Hi all,

Thanks, as ever…
BOS would be further away I think but probably not enough… worth having a look though, might be just over the threshold
LondonGlobalist likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
There are three things that immediately come to mind, though I don't know if any of them are possible for your particular itinerary.

1. Try PHX as a connection point instead of LAX. I was able to route via PHX when I flew from Manchester to San Antonio a few years ago.
2. Insert another connection point between the east coast gateway and AUS for an additional 40 TPs.
3. Try routing via HEL (e.g. BUD-LHR-HEL-JFK(-???)-AUS) for an additional 80 TPs.
Happy days. Was this the sub £1000 AA flights Manchester to San Antonio, and Minneapolis which I did, think maybe there was Little Rock too. Not even MAN experience could ruin those, although it tried really hard to.

Anywhere central in US is not ideal for TP run. You have to either accept 2x 40TP legs, or if you can work in PHX and backtrack.
LondonGlobalist likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:57 am

Hi all,

Thanks, as ever…
Yeah, I'd second the PHX option. I've used it several times, and I'll be through there 3-4 times later this year. Not the nicest airport but it gets you 140 TPs from JFK, BOS or PHL. Maybe you can work with something like this as a starting point. Not tried HEL or BUD but that could add a few points here and there.
Attached Images  
dougzz and LondonGlobalist like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
Looks like one of your segments on return does not have I class, so books you into more expensive J class.
I think this routing is problematic. It's the doubling back to London that's blowing things up. I'm pretty sure it breaks the rules for the ca.£1500 fare.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Hello. I have never done a Tier Points Run before and have spent a lot of time trying to work a good routing to get me 650 tier points (or as close to that number as possible) over/around weekend of 27th August (UK Bank holiday and i'm London based) but i don't really know where to start. Any tips or advice on what may be good to explore for this weekend would be welcome!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IslingtonFlyer
Hello. I have never done a Tier Points Run before and have spent a lot of time trying to work a good routing to get me 650 tier points (or as close to that number as possible) over/around weekend of 27th August (UK Bank holiday and i'm London based) but i don't really know where to start. Any tips or advice on what may be good to explore for this weekend would be welcome!
First, it would be very tough to find an itinerary that would accrue 650 Tier Points at a single long-weekend unless you have additional time to start/complete the trip.
You would not be able to find a good intercontinental deal ( including ex-Europe ) as they mostly require a Saturday or Sunday night stay at the final destination and minimum 24 hours to be spent at the destination as well.

Although it would not be cost-effective, you might try to do 3 different back to backs to a 80 TP European destination on each day of your holiday and return back home every evening. This would also save you from hotel costs.

LHR-SOF-LHR, LHR-OTP-LHR, LGW-CTA-LGW are some examples on what you could do.
IslingtonFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by Lefly
Did you try using another web browser, by any chance? Unfortunately I don't have other suggestions...

By the way, I'm beginning to wonder how many FTers have already booked a BUD-HNL for next autumn/winter...
Me! Into OGG, out of HNL, 7th-19th Dec, £1345, 640 TPs and hitting GGL after the LAX-LHR leg, hope it's credited before I take the LHR-BUD 24h later so I can swan into the CCR

Also props to my sister, who doesn't think of herself as a frequent flier, and will hit Gold for the first time on the same LAX-LHR. In 2022 she'll go from zero to 1125 TPs for a total spend of £2700 or so, not bad at all given she wasn't even trying
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lefly
By the way, I'm beginning to wonder how many FTers have already booked a BUD-HNL for next autumn/winter...
Me also... Heading out Jan 2023 for 7 days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.