Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by erikh94
Still new to the jagon... if you mean BA metal then no, it's all AA and AY, BA only for the BUD-LHR and back

If you mean flight code, then yes except the PHX-LGB and back (unsurprisingly as it'a an AA subsidiary) and, more surprisingly, the PHX-JFK (while the JFK-PHX is on BA code). Weird, but not too worried by the Avios optimization

Also not sure about GUF, but none of the aircraft have proper first class, the AA domestic flights call "first" what is really a J product but that's another story. J itinerary also book in the AA "first" anyway for domestic

EDIT: sorry missed a point in the answer, I think you would only be able to upgrade F your LHR-JFK, unless AA uses different (and more premium) configs on the JFK-LAX-HNL, which wouldn't surprise me too much
I just ment who issued your ticket, ie. was it AA, BA or a Travel Agent?

LHR-JFK has F and some AA transcons like JFK-LAX are operated with A321s with 1-1 F config so that's why I wanted to burn my expiring GuF on this one.

EDIT: Managed to book through BA after all and use a GUF to upgrade to F (with no additional taxes and fees?!?). Great success! Thanks OP!
JessicaTam and erikh94 like this.

Last edited by AnttiV; Jun 6, 2022 at 10:27 am Reason: Added booking success
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by AnttiV
I just ment who issued your ticket, ie. was it AA, BA or a Travel Agent?

LHR-JFK has F and some AA transcons like JFK-LAX are operated with A321s with 1-1 F config so that's why I wanted to burn my expiring GuF on this one.
Which just happens to be where I am right now... Pushback in a few minutes.... Gosh the AA crew are different to AS though!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: OWE(BA Gold), *G (TAP), Skyteam Elite+(ITA)

HI all,
I am trying to book this and powertools is giving me an option on American, or OTAs. Iberia or BA are not recognising the link i'm afraid. However, as I move through the AA booking screens and enter in my personal information I am getting an error saying: "Something went wrong. We are sorry for the inconvenience, we encountered an error processing your request. We are not able to confirm your selected flights. Please resubmit your request. (15079 - 421)"
Is there any way of circumventing this and forcing the booking, or am I missing something?
Thank you
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by interleukin
HI all,
I am trying to book this and powertools is giving me an option on American, or OTAs. Iberia or BA are not recognising the link i'm afraid. However, as I move through the AA booking screens and enter in my personal information I am getting an error saying: "Something went wrong. We are sorry for the inconvenience, we encountered an error processing your request. We are not able to confirm your selected flights. Please resubmit your request. (15079 - 421)"
Is there any way of circumventing this and forcing the booking, or am I missing something?
Thank you
Yes. You can book it on AA by choosing another country such as Germany or Greece.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: OWE(BA Gold), *G (TAP), Skyteam Elite+(ITA)
Originally Posted by ermis177
Yes. You can book it on AA by choosing another country such as Germany or Greece.
Thanks for the quick response- this is on the German site already (in EUR). Greece one won't let me push it through
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by interleukin
Thanks for the quick response- this is on the German site already (in EUR). Greece one won't let me push it through
Did you try using another web browser, by any chance? Unfortunately I don't have other suggestions...

By the way, I'm beginning to wonder how many FTers have already booked a BUD-HNL for next autumn/winter...
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lefly
Did you try using another web browser, by any chance? Unfortunately I don't have other suggestions...

By the way, I'm beginning to wonder how many FTers have already booked a BUD-HNL for next autumn/winter...
A lot but mostly FT members it’s a good value and you can get more than 2/3 of the TP to stay/become gold.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Hi everyone! I've been stalking this section for quite some time but never booked anything myself... until today! Thanks for all the tips and ideas, I've settled on a TP run next easter from Budapest to Long Beach, and looking forward to my first time in Southern California

BUD - LHR - HEL - JFK - PHX - LGB
LGB - PHX - JFK - LHR - HEL - BUD

totalling 920TP per £1,360 (£1.47/TP)

(I have the screenshot but can't post pictures cause I'm new to the forum unfortunately)
Nice work! I too have just started jumping into the world of Tier Point runs after learning about them about a week ago.

Since then I've been scouring these forums as well as checking out Matt Jones' great guide on YT I feel that I'm starting to get to grips with it.

I've recently started travelling a lot more for work but it's limited to the lower fare classes meaning chances of gaining status is unlikely. That being said a single tier point run could give me the benefits that would make 1+ years of travelling more enjoyable and less hassle.

I've attached my first searched itinerary below 👇

From my calculations this would come out at 720TP for £1,600+ which is no where as good as yours so I'm going to borrow a few of your ideas and see what I can do!

When playing around I found something similar to your route but couldn't get quite as good for some reason...

580tp (40 + 140 + 40 + 40 + 140 + 140 + 40)

Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by ermis177
A lot but mostly FT members it’s a good value and you can get more than 2/3 of the TP to stay/become gold.
Yes, I wrote FTers but meant as in Flyertalkers.
On my part, I've booked 2
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Getting HEL into it was trickier than I thought, you need to split it up, essentially
BUD - HEL (via LHR) and HEL - LGB (via JFK,PHX)
otherwise I couldn't get it to work. For what I've seen it barely changes the price, if at all, and it's 160TP more
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:25 pm

Getting HEL into it was trickier than I thought, you need to split it up, essentially
BUD - HEL (via LHR) and HEL - LGB (via JFK,PHX)
otherwise I couldn't get it to work. For what I've seen it barely changes the price, if at all, and it's 160TP more
How do you do that in the ITA Matrix? Do you end up splitting it into 4 separate 'flights' taking adding the transfers within the routing codes?
BA refund helper likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:08 pm

That's how I managed to do it, but I'm not an expert, there might be a quicker way. What I do know is that having BUD-LGB and the routing via LHR-HEL-JFK-PHX does not work
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:10 pm

Also, the previous one was my fifth post, so here you go!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:33 pm

Also, the previous one was my fifth post, so here you go!
Congrats on reaching the milestone! I hit my fifth yesterday.

There must be something I'm getting wrong in the ITA matrix because I copied your itinerary perfectly and when I forced the routing codes it said that no flights were available.

Then when I took them out I at least find a route but the price absolutely sky rockets!

Old Jun 6, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by acearchie
Congrats on reaching the milestone! I hit my fifth yesterday.

There must be something I'm getting wrong in the ITA matrix because I copied your itinerary perfectly and when I forced the routing codes it said that no flights were available.

Then when I took them out I at least find a route but the price absolutely sky rockets!

Looks like one of your segments on return does not have I class, so books you into more expensive J class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.