Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Its a day trip / free meal / a few drinks / enjoyment of flying....
It’s also a 4:30am alarm clock start, 7 hours sat in a seat, tiny risk of ending up on a remote stand, using a days holiday from work, missing out on a round of golf, etc … I’m keen but not that keen
Misco60 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by ademanuele
I have recently semi-retired and wish to retain my Gold status. Very new to tier point runs, any pointers to useful links with advice on how to maximise tier points (with minimal spend &#128512?

Is the attached deal to Bangkok a good deal, earns 520 points...
Try starting that trip at Stockholm or Oslo and returning to Manchester - the price may drop by a few hundred pounds, leaving you ahead even taking into account a separate ticket to get you to one of those cities before the 'big' trip.
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL
BUD-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL .... Night in JFK or hotel?

Hi all,

I have a trip in a few weeks arriving into JFK at 9pm and leaving the following morning at 6am to LAX. Given the prices for hotels in JFK, do you think there's much point in trying to get a few hours sleep (i'm thinkin 3-4) in a hotel or whether I should just lump it in JFK for a few hours whilst the flagship lounge is closed (12:15-04:30... i think)? I'll be wrecked either way.....

Thanks for your wisdom!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Personally I'd stick it out at JFK and sleep on the LA flight. Straight into the lounge at 4.30 though for a shower and breakfast.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, Hilton Honors
JFK Quiet Hours

Another option would be to go and use the gym, showers etc in the TWA Hotel, which I think is in either T4 or T5 for a few hours whilst the lounge is closed.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Hi all,
It's my turn to get on a mileage run to get to Silver (600TP). I am based in Austin, but I am happy to reposition. I am working through all the posts, but I'd be appreciative of hints for trips post August.
I did the crazy LAX-PTY run years ago and met one FlyerTalk member who did it with me. It was wild but fun.
Cheers
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:37 pm

All I've found so far is the LAX/LAS/etc - VVI. From LAX is like 1140GBP and you should get 560TP (LAX - MIA is 140 MIA - GRU is 140)

Originally Posted by l31g
Hi all,
It's my turn to get on a mileage run to get to Silver (600TP). I am based in Austin, but I am happy to reposition. I am working through all the posts, but I'd be appreciative of hints for trips post August.
I did the crazy LAX-PTY run years ago and met one FlyerTalk member who did it with me. It was wild but fun.
Cheers
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by l31g
Hi all,
Cheers
You'll only need 450 TPs to get/maintain silver if you do it by end 2022.
l31g and Toto1808 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by danmushman
Plus the BA flights
l31g, danmushman and Toto1808 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the note!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood from the BA email that the 450 (actually they emailed me only wanting 300 for Silver) are only for keeping the status. My collection year ends in August and my status expires in September, so I was planning to get the trips done between those dates so I end up getting 2 years of Silver. I might just do a pretty cheap BA econ to Barcelona via LHR to get the 4 flights.

Originally Posted by danmushman
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by martmeister
If I'm gold at that point, then why would I bother? I realise I will lose them if I dont travel.
TPs toward Gold for Life and Avios?

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Personally I'd stick it out at JFK and sleep on the LA flight. Straight into the lounge at 4.30 though for a shower and breakfast.
Can you stay airside during the night? By the way, if I recall correctly the posted hours, last time I passed through the lounge was open from 5am.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
Can you stay airside during the night? By the way, if I recall correctly the posted hours, last time I passed through the lounge was open from 5am.
Yes at most major US airports.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
AA has "optimised" my October TP Run, changing my flights to be direct, from
JFK-LAX-SFO to JFK-SFO
and the same on the return leg

I'm hoping I can call AA to either reinstate the original flights or similar alternatives if I do my research beforehand?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Normally it is considered optimal to aim for as close to the £1-2 per tier point mark as possible, so this would not usually be considered a good tier point run.
I do the MAN-LHR return regularly (80 Tier Points CE), if I can get a fare less than £200 then this seems as good way as any of racking up Tier points?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by stephenjc
AA has "optimised" my October TP Run, changing my flights to be direct, from
JFK-LAX-SFO to JFK-SFO
and the same on the return leg

I'm hoping I can call AA to either reinstate the original flights or similar alternatives if I do my research beforehand?
Booked on BA or AA ticket stock? Is SFO the final destination or are you connecting further?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.