Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I guess when we flew Verify had that all cross referenced and checked, so perhaps now it's not doing that checking.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by higham44
I always carry a paper copy in case of tech probs with phone.

As regards ESTAs, I am flying DUB-LHR-BOS-LAX (and return on separate flights and single ticket) in August. At which point will I be required to go through US immigration? Will it be on arrival at BOS before transit to LAX or on arrival at LAX?

Thanks
You'll go through immigration at BOS (your first point of entry), you'll have to collect your luggage and clear customs too, then re-check it for the domestic flight to LAX. Have your return ticket ready to show at check-in in DUB.
BA850 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by megaloman
You'll go through immigration at BOS (your first point of entry), you'll have to collect your luggage and clear customs too, then re-check it for the domestic flight to LAX. Have your return ticket ready to show at check-in in DUB.
There's another nasty surprise at Boston too, I'm afraid: International Arrivals are all funneled through Terminal E (the only CBP location), while AA departures use Terminal B, so there's a terminal change thrown in there.

It's possible to walk from E to B, or take one of the free shuttle buses: https://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...cting-flights/
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
As I'm on a TP run I'm only going to have hand luggage, but I guess I'll still go through immigration at BOS then to domestic flight security.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
As I'm on a TP run I'm only going to have hand luggage, but I guess I'll still go through immigration at BOS then to domestic flight security.
There's no other way - you need to clear immigration AND customs when you enter the US - whether you travel with checked luggage or HBO is irrelevant...
lsquare and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Honors Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Gold
I've just returned from a back to back TP run lasting around 3 weeks consisting of AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX to LAS (first trip) and SFO (second trip) with a "side TP run" with Alaska Airlines nested in between allowing me to spend some time up that way with a few repositioning flights spread across to add up some more TP.

Only a couple mishaps where one of my JFK-LAX flights were cancelled, so I was routed directly from JFK-SFO and lost the 40TP which would have been JFK-LAX-SFO... I will attempt to claim those TP when I do get closer to the GGL mark if possible. One of my checked bags is also currently stuck at Heathrow but thankfully only got held up whilst on my second trip back to Malaga so it wasn't exactly the end of the world. Considering all of that, a fairly successful trip and it was great to meet a few of you folks whilst on the pilgrimage towards GGL in various places from Anchorage all the way through to Helsinki!

Overall including the TP runs and various repositioning flights, 2780TP collected (minus 40TP for the direct routing) in three weeks. Almost there!
salut0, higham44, our_kid and 9 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
There's no other way - you need to clear immigration AND customs when you enter the US - whether you travel with checked luggage or HBO is irrelevant...
Yep. I flew into SLC from LHR recently and had to do what you described.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Smid
We've never been asked for ESTA's printed off anywhere, and not Dublin start of April, and I'd be interested if there are places asking for such documentation nowadays. We tend to print it off when we've got a new one, just in case, and it's no hassle to keep that copy for the next trip. But I've never heard of this requirement in recent times.
I can only report my experience, the DUB check in required us to show printed copies of our ESTAs. The agent knew what they were doing, it wasn't a Swissport newbie and when DUB was pretty chaotic asking to see a supervisor would only delay the check in process further for everyone. It could have been that we hadn't ticked a 'do you have an ESTA?' check box in the PNR they checked us in with (which was not the one we'd been asked to pre-fill with BA notifications). Either way, I have no problem suggesting that carrying a printed copy of ESTA - as it's a sheet of paper - is one potential risk removed.
JessicaTam and Toto1808 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by Spongthrush
I can only report my experience, the DUB check in required us to show printed copies of our ESTAs. The agent knew what they were doing, it wasn't a Swissport newbie and when DUB was pretty chaotic asking to see a supervisor would only delay the check in process further for everyone. It could have been that we hadn't ticked a 'do you have an ESTA?' check box in the PNR they checked us in with (which was not the one we'd been asked to pre-fill with BA notifications). Either way, I have no problem suggesting that carrying a printed copy of ESTA - as it's a sheet of paper - is one potential risk removed.
I subscribe to that approach. I have printed copy of ESTA ready to go with my passport for my flight BOS (via LHR) from DUB (plus flights schedule, etc.). Old School?? Yes, but have peace of mind.
JessicaTam likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
You will arrive in terminal E on BA and if on an AA connection you will transfer to terminal B which is about an 8 minute walk but the problem is the walk is not obvious. If you do not know the the route I would recommend taking a bus.

Last edited by Rubecula; Jun 30, 2022 at 8:12 am Reason: Clarification re operating airline
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sifu
I've just returned from a back to back TP run lasting around 3 weeks consisting of AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-LAX to LAS (first trip) and SFO (second trip) with a "side TP run" with Alaska Airlines..
Ive got one of those trips booked in a couple of weeks time. I booked it as a cheap TP efficient trip to see family near SFO but with all the travel chaos recently, I was starting to think it fell into the good idea at the time category.

Glad you survived @Sifu, and a premature welcome to the GGL ranks!

A few questions:
- were you able to check in online and get your boarding pass for at least the AGP-HEL-LHR sectors?
- Ill be hand baggage only. Reading your post I think you had to check in bags. How early do the Finnair check-in desks open before the flight in case its a desk check-in?
- the lounge at AGP I think closes at 11pm. Presume therefore it was closed for the 1.15am flight?

​​​​​​​
Sifu likes this.

Last edited by gcuk; Jun 30, 2022 at 8:15 am
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Honors Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk
Ive got one of those trips booked in a couple of weeks time. I booked it as a cheap TP efficient trip to see family near SFO but with all the travel chaos recently, I was starting to think it fell into the good idea at the time category.

Glad you survived @Sifu, and a premature welcome to the GGL ranks!

A few questions:
- were you able to check in online and get your boarding pass for at least the AGP-HEL-LHR sectors?
- Ill be hand baggage only. Reading your post I think you had to check in bags. How early do the Finnair check-in desks open before the flight in case its a desk check-in?
- the lounge at AGP I think closes at 11pm. Presume therefore it was closed for the 1.15am flight?
Thanks in advance! I thought only my friend and I were mad enough to be going back to back for GGL but thankfully this community isnt too niche!

First time round, the Iberia agent on behalf of Finnair struggled to check bags all the way through and checked it through to JFK but was able to sort out all the boarding passes as far as LAX. Thankfully, all the different airline apps were pretty good and we were able to pick up our passes digitally. We picked up the remaining boarding passes on the first leg at JFK through to LAS.

On the second trip, the agent managed to check the bags with tags all the way through to SFO but requiring the usual bag pick up at JFK as per the usual TSA rules. It will depend on who you get on the check in desk on the day but they seem pretty clued up now as they are aware of a few TP runners doing this route.

For the 0115 departures off AGP which were the flights I boarded on birth occasions, the desk opened up at around 2230. Theres two lines for Finnair, one for priority check in/business and an economy check in. It isnt very well maintained and can be a bit of a free for all so dont just aim for the first line and check the screens before queuing.

Sala Lounge is closed at 2230 so you will be hanging around a while. Gates dont get announced until 0010.
gcuk and Toto1808 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by lsquare
Yep. I flew into SLC from LHR recently and had to do what you described.
Everyone does unless you preclear in the following locations: Dublin and Shannon in Ireland; Aruba; Freeport and Nassau in The Bahamas; Bermuda; Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; and Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Victoria, and Winnipeg in Canada.
It's a bit of surprise to first timers, especially those that have duty free liquids that they then have to pack into their checked luggage. Not having a checked bag makes that difficult. Of course being on a TP run I doubt people are stopping off at the Duty Free on the way to the US.
Toto1808 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: BA GGL; Virgin Gold; HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Im in the GGL group that has the opportunity to renew with only 2,250 TPs as long I get them before 31 Dec this year.

I could do with a run that lands me about 1,750.

Used the ITA tool to find a quick trip in October: U.K. to Hawaii (LHR-BOS-PHX-LIH) in First for 4,134. Its a combination of A and I classes so I think nets me 980 TPs (= 210 + 140 + 140 each way). Couple of questions:

If I call BA to book it, would I be able to get them to do it as a holiday (5 nights in Hawaii) so I could nail double tier points? Or does that only work if its booked online as a holiday. (Im well aware of the fragile nature of actually getting the double points without chasing it up, even if you qualify!)

The outbound and returns are 38 and 33 hours respectively because they both contain at least one pretty long layover. Is there a code I can use in the ITA tool to tell it to only give me layovers no longer than X hours (or something like that)? (I can see the little circle that warns me of long layovers, I just cant figure out how to stop them!)

Is c2,000 TPs (with BA holiday double points) for the c4,000 ok value, or do people typically find noticeably better than that? (Im happier to pay a bit extra and get it done in 1 quick trip than having to lose half a dozen weekends in Europe somewhere!)

PS - first timer on this tier points run scheme way more fun than just qualifying the usual way.

Last edited by Splotly; Jun 30, 2022 at 11:32 am
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Splotly
Im in the GGL group that has the opportunity to renew with only 2,250 TPs as long I get them before 31 Dec this year.

I could do with a run that lands me about 1,750.

Used the ITA tool to find a quick trip in October: U.K. to Hawaii (LHR-BOS-PHX-LIH) in First for 4,134. Its a combination of A and I classes so I think nets me 980 TPs (= 210 + 140 + 140 each way). Couple of questions:

If I call BA to book it, would I be able to them to do it as a holiday (5 nights in Hawaii) to I could nail double tier points? Or does that only work if its booked online as holiday. (Im well aware of the fragile nature of actually getting the double points without chasing it up, even if you qualify!)

The outbound and returns are 38 and 33 hours respectively because they both contain at least one pretty long layover. Is there a code I can use in the ITA tool to tells it to give me layovers no longer than X hours (or something like that)? (I can see the little circle that warns me of long layovers, I just cant figure out how to stop them!)

Is c2,000 TPs (with BA holiday double points) for the c4,000 ok value, or do people typically find noticeably better than that? (Im happier to pay a bit extra and get it done in 1 quick trip than having to lose half a dozen weekends in Europe somewhere!)

PS - first timer on this tier points run scheme way more fun than just qualifying the usual way.
Yes, you could benefit from the double Tier Points promotion via the phone but be aware that "all flights need to be BA marketed under the BA code", a single AA flight would disqualify you from this promotion. In addition, you must complete travel by October 31, 2022 in order to benefit from this promotion.

To avoid long layovers, you could use the MAXCONNECT function at ITA Matrix: For example "MAXCONNECT" 4:00 would limit the maximum transfer time to 4 hours.
gcuk, Splotly and Toto1808 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.