Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DocS
Thanks for this - going to book a MAD to SFO/LAX with the family for later this year. It won’t be a TP run as the kids don’t cope well with multiple legs/weird hours and jetlag - so will be most direct options. Having found preferred itinerary on Matrix the same on Google flights is more expensive and only offers booking via AA at a lower price. I’m rusty on this and wanted to check - if I call BA and quote flight numbers should it price up as per Matrix quote? Would prefer to book with BA if possible. Thanks folks
it will be even cheaper by 13 EUR per way (per person?) - because the ITA matrix adds some third party fare BA collects from TAs but not from their own customers. if they want to add the 25 EUR booking fee, tell them something about "was not bookable on your webpage / it errors out / cant find flights / IT stuff " - usually they waive it.

but sometimes it requires a HUACA if you dont get an agent willing/being able to help you. every now and then i get routed to an agent who claims they cant sell AY prime flights (for example)
DocS likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by DocS
Thanks for this - going to book a MAD to SFO/LAX with the family for later this year. It won’t be a TP run as the kids don’t cope well with multiple legs/weird hours and jetlag - so will be most direct options. Having found preferred itinerary on Matrix the same on Google flights is more expensive and only offers booking via AA at a lower price. I’m rusty on this and wanted to check - if I call BA and quote flight numbers should it price up as per Matrix quote? Would prefer to book with BA if possible. Thanks folks
Personally, I have called BA, given the AA flight numbers and the agent finds the equivalent BA number if available, in the experiences I have had perhaps on 3 occasions the price has been similar or a little more expensive, but this is obviously multiplied by the number of travelers, and some good advice from Nephoi, also. Call them up, however, easier said than done these days. If you are a gold member, I usually have success calling with about a 15min wait between 0900-1000 GMT.
DocS and Nephoi like this.

Last edited by m8_rotate; Dec 28, 2021 at 12:04 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi Guys,

I've a few days in March 2022, looking to do a TP Run along side work - I can pick the location.

There is ARN - JFK - LAS - LAX then LAX - SFO - JFK - ARN. It's not as cheap as I'd hope, but it's 640TP's

I've thought about going the other way ARN - DOH - ?? - but can anyone recommend somewhere further than DOH that isn't closed that I can get to on Qatar? NRT, SIN, DEM are either closed or not operating. DXB is only 40 TP's!

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Hi Guys,

I've a few days in March 2022, looking to do a TP Run along side work - I can pick the location.

There is ARN - JFK - LAS - LAX then LAX - SFO - JFK - ARN. It's not as cheap as I'd hope, but it's 640TP's

I've thought about going the other way ARN - DOH - ?? - but can anyone recommend somewhere further than DOH that isn't closed that I can get to on Qatar? NRT, SIN, DEM are either closed or not operating. DXB is only 40 TP's!

Thanks in advance!

​​​​​​​try ARN-HEL-LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX then LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR-HEL-ARN for best TP gain. booking classes may be a problem. if you have fix dates in mind, dont hestiate to PM me. im willing to help.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nephoi
try ARN-HEL-LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX then LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR-HEL-ARN for best TP gain. booking classes may be a problem. if you have fix dates in mind, dont hestiate to PM me. im willing to help.
Thank you sadly ITA says no with HEL added. If possible, I am keen to go the 'other way' as I am going to the US in January and February also with work

Last edited by Neil Scrivener; Dec 29, 2021 at 12:18 pm Reason: corrected what I said
Old Dec 29, 2021, 12:20 pm

Thank you sadly ITA says no. If possible, I am keen to go the 'other way' as I am going to the US in January and February also with work
when ITA says no, it doesnt mean no there will be some possibilites.
the other way round kinda sounds difficult. usually those runs are to the north american continent. routings to Asia dont come around that often. there was a run to CGK, IIRC, maybe that is still around. also beware the covid guidelines for that countries more restrict sometimes.
dougzz likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:52 am

I see that Qatar has just announced a status extension until Dec 2022. I don't suppose there's any chance BA will do the same?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by webstereo
I see that Qatar has just announced a status extension until Dec 2022. I don't suppose there's any chance BA will do the same?
They already did, about two weeks ago.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:24 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Confus
They already did, about two weeks ago.

For a lot of people it was announced way before then as well.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I’m using ITA Matrix to rework TP optimised holidays and it’s still showing BA flights that were cancelled or changed about three weeks ago, in my case on the Athens and Boston routes.

Anyone else experiencing this as the flights given on Matrix don’t agree with BA’s timetable. There is also a discrepancy on BA codeshare numbers on AA domestic routes that were updated by ba recently. Matrix is still showing the old codeshare flight numbers.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk
I’m using ITA Matrix to rework TP optimised holidays and it’s still showing BA flights that were cancelled or changed about three weeks ago, in my case on the Athens and Boston routes.

Anyone else experiencing this as the flights given on Matrix don’t agree with BA’s timetable. There is also a discrepancy on BA codeshare numbers on AA domestic routes that were updated by ba recently. Matrix is still showing the old codeshare flight numbers.

yes. the matrix isn't working very well lately. timings are wrong, even frequencies. its quite annoying.
gcuk and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zen100
Interesting and useful to know. Was that flight-only, or BA Holidays. I have noticed that BAH are more stingy with schedule change flexibility, or rather they are adhering to the policy more strictly. But that's just been my experience, so interested to hear others experiences
This was BAH.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by gcuk

I don't know what ITA's minimums are but I had it offer me a 34 minute connection in SFO to get my PHX, and a 1:15 connection from HEL to JFK!
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
I don't know what ITA's minimums are but I had it offer me a 34 minute connection in SFO to get my PHX, and a 1:15 connection from HEL to JFK!
The minimums should be the stated MCTs for the connecting airport; at SFO for AA domestic to domestic this is 30 minutes and in HEL for international to international for AY can range from 35 minutes to 1.15
Old Jan 1, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evanstim
No. Please look at the screen shot - I am showing the earn on RJ in the calculator. BA have changed the TP earn LHR to AMM on RJ - it was 140 TPs, it's now 80 TPs, to bring it into line with the TP earn on BA, on the same route.

I mean, you're correct that BA have cut the LHR to AMM route (and others, as you note) to short haul and reduced the TP earn, but that wasn't what we were discussing - we were discussing the cut in TP earn on RJ on the route. Previously, you could fly RJ to AMM and still get 140 TPs. No more.
Given that LHR-CAI and LHR-AMM are both 80 TPs, I was surprised to see the BA calculator claim LHR-TLV was 140. Is that correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.