Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 5:06 am

I am looking to take advantage of the lower threshold and go for BA GGL. I am currently gold. Does anyone have any helpful tips to achieve max TP over multiple TP runs from BUD/OTP/SOF?
Old May 17, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by AndyUK_101
Morning,

Looking at a tier point run late this year or early next

BUD - LHR - JFK - LAX - HNL - LAX - JFK - LHR - BUD for £1350 with AA looks good, decent availability according to ITA

Just a sense check to see if there is any further way to optimise this or a specific way to force the JFK-LAX sector onto a 321T for the flat bed rather than recliner
Looks great price. Can you share the dates you have booked for each flight sector please? When I put in dates in October, I get double the price. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by higham44
Looks great price. Can you share the dates you have booked for each flight sector please? When I put in dates in October, I get double the price. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.
You need to book it 6 months in advance at least.
Lefly likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by CW2000
I am looking to take advantage of the lower threshold and go for BA GGL. I am currently gold. Does anyone have any helpful tips to achieve max TP over multiple TP runs from BUD/OTP/SOF?
When does your year-end? Where are you based? UK / EU / USA ? Normally the best-earning runs are 3 months - to 6 months out, but it can vary. Are you familiar with the Matrix ITA website? Your question raises more questions. It may be possible to get the runs in that you need before 31 Dec 22. But the answer to the first question above is pivotal. I managed to get GGL from Gold this year. I started planning last Autumn and did four EX EU (Mad and BCN) Runs to the West Coast of the USA over March and April 22. There is a lot of experience here, just need a bit more info, also the number of points you have would be useful to know.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Richie, how far in advance did you get the J-F upgrade for that price? Thanks.
I got JFK-SFO maybe 10 days after booking and a good 6 weeks before departure for $350. Only thing was that all the other in-app upgrade offers disappeared. On same ticket, ended up doing OLCI upgrade on LHR-JFK for $500 (this required a Herculean amount of persistence due to VeriFLY nonsense and in general I wouldn’t really bother on AA again) and airport upgrade for SFO-JFK for $250. I’d say the transcon is worth it as you get your own seat without climbing over or getting climbed over by someone. Plus Flagship Dining if you’re into that sort of thing.
wanderingjock and m8_rotate like this.

Last edited by RichieMc; May 17, 2022 at 12:30 pm
Old May 17, 2022, 5:00 pm
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Looking to earn 95 tier points before 8th July. Can anyone suggest a decent run (perhaps UK & Ireland?) that can be done within a day, ideally on a Saturday? Easiest (BA) airports for me to depart from would be LHR and LCY, but can also take positioning flights from LTN and STN if necessary. What sort of cost would I be looking at?

Last edited by rum; May 17, 2022 at 5:07 pm
Old May 17, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rum
Looking to earn 95 tier points before 8th July. Can anyone suggest a decent run (perhaps UK & Ireland?) that can be done within a day, ideally on a Saturday? Easiest (BA) airports for me to depart from would be LHR and LCY, but can also take positioning flights from LTN and STN if necessary. What sort of cost would I be looking at?
LHR-HEL in business would get you 80 each way. Or any of the other 80 TP one way routes.
rum likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:40 am

My year ends early June. My Gold membership has been extended until July 23. I wanted to renew for beyond that and also attain GGL at the lower threshold. I have the time and also have approx 3K in vouchers to use on BA.com. I am familiar with ITA Matrix, it's how I attained gold. However I am looking to book directly with BA so i can redeem my vouchers, which I earnt through a past promotion when I booked tickets from Jersey to LHR and took advantage of the part pay avios promo and then refunded the ticket and got the full value. At the moment I am on 140k avious. My work is flexible, so I have the time, I just need to know the best routes to book.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:56 am
rum

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
LHR-HEL in business would get you 80 each way. Or any of the other 80 TP one way routes.
OK, so HEL is considered "far" Europe (like ATH, IST, LCA?)? Didn't realise this. Could I do that on BA or Finnair then?

EDIT: ouch! At £600+ each way, that's looking far too steep for my pocket...

Last edited by rum; May 18, 2022 at 2:07 am
Old May 18, 2022, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rum
OK, so HEL is considered "far" Europe (like ATH, IST, LCA?)? Didn't realise this. Could I do that on BA or Finnair then?

EDIT: ouch! At £600+ each way, that's looking far too steep for my pocket...
I book through AY. Usually £280 for business lite or £330? for business with the trimmings.
Not a patch on the old LHR-HEL-TLL return flights from £232 ;(

There's the odd Saturday at £280+ one way, but some higher fares there....midweek seems better

You could do HEL-LHR-MAN on say Sat 25th Jun for €285. 120TP?
Maybe 16k or so Avios + £50 for a RFS to fly LHR-HEL?
rum and Rim1 like this.

Last edited by xenole; May 18, 2022 at 2:24 am
Old May 18, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by higham44
Lots of dates 6 months out, but for example, here's an ITIN I worked up BUD-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-HNL which is pricing out at £1489.50

This would net you 1080 TPs at a cost of around £1.38 per TP. Yes, there are a couple of relatively short connections in the mix, but you could adjust those with some fine tuning, and there's the slight downside of having the LAX-HNL legs in a recliner, rather than flat bed - but there's room to adjust. This is just to give an idea of what is out there at the moment.

As a point of interest, as a Gold, this would earn you (by my rough calcs) 30,022 miles each way for a total of 60,044 miles for the return (£480.35 worth of value if you use the Nectar/Sainsburys conversion rate). This would potentially bring the relative cost per TP down just under the £1/TP mark.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Lots of dates 6 months out, but for example, here's an ITIN I worked up BUD-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-HNL which is pricing out at £1489.50

This would net you 1080 TPs at a cost of around £1.38 per TP. Yes, there are a couple of relatively short connections in the mix, but you could adjust those with some fine tuning, and there's the slight downside of having the LAX-HNL legs in a recliner, rather than flat bed - but there's room to adjust. This is just to give an idea of what is out there at the moment.

As a point of interest, as a Gold, this would earn you (by my rough calcs) 30,022 miles each way for a total of 60,044 miles for the return (£480.35 worth of value if you use the Nectar/Sainsburys conversion rate). This would potentially bring the relative cost per TP down just under the £1/TP mark.
Half those flights will be changed by AA between Sept-Oct, and BA will do their bit too
Very possible something far better timing wise could be gotten out of this.
efincomputer and Lefly like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
I've got a trip next month that is now OTP-LHR-HEL-JFK-SFO/LAS-LAX-JFK-HEL-LHR-OTP, after multiple schedule changes/cancellations of my original itinerary from SOF. The flights beyond JFK are all on AA, some on BA codes and some AA.
Since I got the booking changed I can no longer see the flights from LAS-LAX-JFK in the AA app/MMB - I can only see the AY HEL-JFK and the AA JFK-SFO. The AA PNR doesn't seem to have changed.
Any ideas?

Thanks
​​​
Old May 18, 2022, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
I'm struggling to decide between doing a TPR for speed, and doing a little double points holiday for value. I do enjoy the whole plane / lounge hopping thing but I'm just not seeing the deals I used to so the £ per TP seems better on the holiday stuff.
Any suggestions on holidays that are working out well under the double TP offer?
Old May 18, 2022, 6:11 am
rum

Originally Posted by xenole
I book through AY. Usually £280 for business lite or £330? for business with the trimmings.
Not a patch on the old LHR-HEL-TLL return flights from £232 ;(

There's the odd Saturday at £280+ one way, but some higher fares there....midweek seems better

You could do HEL-LHR-MAN on say Sat 25th Jun for €285. 120TP?
Maybe 16k or so Avios + £50 for a RFS to fly LHR-HEL?
That's much more reasonable - thanks! The Saturday flights you mention are direct from HEL to MAN on an Embraer - I'm guess that would only be 80 points, so I'll need to get another flight MAN to LON (Heathrow or similar). Happy to consider all reasonable suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.