Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by wonderman
Any suggestions on holidays that are working out well under the double TP offer?
So I managed to get EDI-LHR-JFK-LAX, SEA-PHL-LHR-EDI last December for travel SEP/OCT this year with 4 nights hotel in both LA and SEA.

Total price was c£3k taking the hotels at £150 per night flights about £1800. Would have given 1280 with the double TPs and gold in one trip, especially good with as I'm a September year end

Sadly AA cancelled the SEA-PHL leg on the way home so will now be returning SEA-DFW-LHR-EDI. This will give 1080tp and using £1800 this works out as £1.67 per to. Also get an extra 3,000 avios for the reroute. Also a longer flight from DFW may mean more sleep too

Means I will need to find another 45tps for gold before 31 December which won't be difficult.

Biggest thing now will be pricing and having to start in the UK for them, a lack of codeshares in J from West to East Coast in the states may be an issue too. I found mine by playing about with the Multi City holiday tool and got it to work eventually.

Post half term in October might be your best starting date now.
Old May 18, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rum
That's much more reasonable - thanks! The Saturday flights you mention are direct from HEL to MAN on an Embraer - I'm guess that would only be 80 points, so I'll need to get another flight MAN to LON (Heathrow or similar). Happy to consider all reasonable suggestions.
Well, nothing really on Sat that's that cheap. Even during the week, say 9th June, it's £228 for a LHR-NCL same morning return (suppose you could reduce that price with Avios).

A lot of places in Europe don't seem to have any BA flights on a Saturday in June.
rum likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Lots of dates 6 months out, but for example, here's an ITIN I worked up BUD-LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-HNL which is pricing out at £1489.50

This would net you 1080 TPs at a cost of around £1.38 per TP. Yes, there are a couple of relatively short connections in the mix, but you could adjust those with some fine tuning, and there's the slight downside of having the LAX-HNL legs in a recliner, rather than flat bed - but there's room to adjust. This is just to give an idea of what is out there at the moment.

As a point of interest, as a Gold, this would earn you (by my rough calcs) 30,022 miles each way for a total of 60,044 miles for the return (£480.35 worth of value if you use the Nectar/Sainsburys conversion rate). This would potentially bring the relative cost per TP down just under the £1/TP mark.
Could I ask you what you have to put into ITA Matrix to get this to come up...I've tried but with no success!
m8_rotate likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rum
OK, so HEL is considered "far" Europe (like ATH, IST, LCA?)? Didn't realise this. Could I do that on BA or Finnair then?

EDIT: ouch! At £600+ each way, that's looking far too steep for my pocket...
Unfortunately, the £280 fare for this trip via TravelUp disappeared a week ago.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Deleted
Old May 18, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Hi All, wondering if you'd be kind enough to help.

Very likely I've got to go to Riyadh in October for business for 2 weeks. Approximate dates are first two weeks of Oct. Given I run the company and I'm fairly location indepedent, I'm quite flexible on going a few days (even a week) beforehand and returning a few days later too. I.e. happy to fly to Europe, stay a few nights and then head on, and the same returning.

Thus, I'm interested to know any thoughts on maximising TPs for this trip. Will be starting in Mexico City and see return fares in J approximately 5k USD to Riyadh, but I feel there could be much better value in interlocking some flights and heading to Europe first then buying a separate journey once there. Any tips on routes that may allow better ex-EU to Saudi once already positioned to Europe? Also, is it best to consider positioning to DOH or another major hub then travelling onto Saudi from there?
Old May 18, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iceandaslicegandt
Could I ask you what you have to put into ITA Matrix to get this to come up...I've tried but with no success!
Best bet is to start out with a fairly wide set of requirements. populate a simple return in business class between your start and end point (in this case i've chosen BUD and HNL because I know there is a good fare around at the moment - thanks to FT!) Don't initially put in any routing codes (or if you do, just use LHR for both ends) and make sure you have Oneworld Alliance set in the extension codes. Then search based on calendar of lowest fares, with a duration of 0-7 night and do an initial search (at least 6 months out) to find some dates with the duration you're after and at roughly the right price.

The try adding a couple of additional routing options in (in my case, I added in LHR HEL LAX initially, and the same in reverse). ITA doesnt seem to handle more than three connections in either direction on the simple return.

Once you have another set of flights at the right dates, make a note of the dates and then change to a multi-city search. Split your journey into a couple of different flights in each direction (remember you can add routing options into each of these flights) - for example:

this then gives you some additional options and lets you optimise your routes, but the importance is to be flexible with your dates, and ensure you select the "+/-2days" option against each departure. This is the exact search that i used to get the results I posted earlier.

There's quite a few youtube videos out there and i'm sure some of our fellow FTers can provide other suggestions.
timcjp, alex67500, Arsey00 and 5 others like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Thumbs up

That is really helpful, many thanks, as I've been wondering how you went about adding all those stops as ITA only seems to accept a certain number of flights in a multi-city routing.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Also a reminder that the ex-BUD fare to Hawaii is also valid for other Hawaiian destinations such as Kahului - OGG, Kona - KOA, Lihue - LIH.
No need to limit searches to Honolulu unless there is a specific reason to go there.
MaxFlyer, snabbu and TalkingPoint like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 2:18 pm

GGL

Hey everyone. I’m going to be about 700 TP shy from GGL. Prob my only chance to achieve it with reduced access.

I already booked the HNL run and am doing a few double TP holidays as well as 2 LAX trips.

I keep thinking let’s wait and push for the 6 months ahead etc however I’m getting nervy - apart from another BUD HNL run does anything else spring to mind that’s a current fare.

I quite liked the HEL BKK but missed out by a day. Any help is appreciative. Travel dates are flexible
Old May 18, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum

Not a bad deal: $870 or about £705 for 560TPs. This is a straight TP run, and exhausting to say the least. But it appears the fare stays the same if you wanted to reverse the route and/or stay a few days in either DC or Anchorage.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406

Not a bad deal: $870 or about £705 for 560TPs. This is a straight TP run, and exhausting to say the least. But it appears the fare stays the same if you wanted to reverse the route and/or stay a few days in either DC or Anchorage.
Some advice: That IAD turn will not be the same plane since it has a different flight number. You could risk missing your return if your outbound is delayed.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406

Originally Posted by skunker
Some advice: That IAD turn will not be the same plane since it has a different flight number. You could risk missing your return if your outbound is delayed.
Yes, that's true at IAD aircraft operating to/from LAX and SEA could make switches thus the aircraft arriving from LAX might head to SEA vice-versa.

Also, upthread, it was discussed that this fare is also valid to FAI with +40TP's per direction for a similar price, if someone is seeking better TP value. Although, I am not sure if a B2B is possible.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by m8_rotate
When does your year-end? Where are you based? UK / EU / USA ? Normally the best-earning runs are 3 months - to 6 months out, but it can vary. Are you familiar with the Matrix ITA website? Your question raises more questions. It may be possible to get the runs in that you need before 31 Dec 22. But the answer to the first question above is pivotal. I managed to get GGL from Gold this year. I started planning last Autumn and did four EX EU (Mad and BCN) Runs to the West Coast of the USA over March and April 22. There is a lot of experience here, just need a bit more info, also the number of points you have would be useful to know.
My year ends early June. My Gold membership has been extended until July 23. I wanted to renew for beyond that and also attain GGL at the lower threshold. I have the time and also have approx 3K in vouchers to use on BA.com. I am familiar with ITA Matrix, it's how I attained gold. However I am looking to book directly with BA so i can redeem my vouchers, which I earnt through a past promotion when I booked tickets from Jersey to LHR and took advantage of the part pay avios promo and then refunded the ticket and got the full value. At the moment I am on 140k avious. My work is flexible, so I have the time, I just need to know the best routes to book.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:45 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
Unfortunately, the £280 fare for this trip via TravelUp disappeared a week ago.
Pppfff.... just my luck. Back to square one then I guess.

Best I can find is £500+ LHR-HEL-LHR on 'basic' business with AY which nets 160 TPs, returning the same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.