Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by chspw1
There are two still things I am unclear about.

I have been GGL/CCR for 5 years. I currently have 2600 TPs with a August 2020 end date.

I understand I renew GGL, but I still see no clear answer if you keep CCR?

In August I renew GGL, but do you get two new jokers?
Yes, if you are currently GGL/CCR then that will be extended to the next Membership Year.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:45 am

I've had my email to say BA silver status extended until 28th Feb 2022 which is very nice.

can I ask , my partner is BA blue and on 240 TPs now with a renewal date of 8th Nov , will she be bumped to bronze if she doesn't step foot on a flight until then

TIA

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chspw1
There are two still things I am unclear about.

I have been GGL/CCR for 5 years. I currently have 2600 TPs with a August 2020 end date.

I understand I renew GGL, but I still see no clear answer if you keep CCR?

In August I renew GGL, but do you get two new jokers?
BA GGL Team has confirmed to me by email that CCR cards will be extended by a year in the same way as all the other status extensions. On that basis you should get your 2 new jokers on renewal.
TheRealBabushka and Lefly like this.

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by cosmo74
I've got a similar question. I'm gold, my TP year ends Sept 8th and i currently have 1,320 TP. As I understand it, at present my gold membership will be extended to Sept 2021 (card to Oct 2021). But, if I get to 1,500 before Sept 8th, will I be extended to 2022?
The way I read the e-mail is that those who do not qualify on their own will continue with the current status for one more year, Regardless whether or not you requalify in September 2020 you will get one more year of Gold, and that's it. That's my reading, of course. Otherwise, if people continue to requalify on their own the extra year will be pushed into 2030s or 2040s...
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I am pretty pleased with this. I am a July renewal and currently sat at 995 TPs - so I only need 130 more TPs in the next year to retain Gold effectively until end August 2021.
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, if you are currently GGL/CCR then that will be extended to the next Membership Year.
CCR is in scope as well? Even better!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Yes. CCR is included in the 'extension' and the 25% renewal discount.
rossmacd and Lefly like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
CCR card is within scope of both the extension and the 25% reduced TP threshold.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier
Originally Posted by binman
A bit like the UK governments response generally to Covid-19 crisis, BA is also late to the party. The extension was always going to be required, and is welcome, but it should have been done at the start of lockdown. No one was flying and so the cost would have been less and there would have been a lot more goodwill toward them than there is now.

Too little too late
Hindsight is wonderful, really. I'm sure you would have had ALL the answer and sorted out the world.

The Govt action aside, as it's irrelevant, I think BA has taken a responsible, prudent approach. They put in place something for people renewing in April, May, June which effectively removed the need to travel in those months as well as extending all vouchers automatically for 6 months. This was swift and welcome action for those in immediate renewal scenarios.

In the meantime, they looked at what other airlines were doing, what the UK Govt advice was going to be, and put together a comprehensive response which is welcome. Yes, you had to wait a couple of months for them to do it, but what exactly have you lost? It's exactly what was required and it's hardly too little too late.

Some people just want to bash BA regardless.
DelTroon and roked like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I am pretty pleased with this. I am a July renewal and currently sat at 995 TPs - so I only need 130 more TPs in the next year to retain Gold effectively until end August 2021.
Your tier point balance will reset to zero on 9 July 2020 as normal.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Jonnyboy1977
What about the remainder of your current year? Does the 25% reduction apply to that as well as the next year?

​​​​​my year end is November. Does that mean if I hit 3750 this year I get GGL and then next year I only need 2250 to retain for the following year?
Welcome to FlyerTalk Jonnyboy1977, it's great to see you here.

I don't know the answer to that question, the information available is conflicting. The email my son received says this:

What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your Gold status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrade thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable.

Following the link to ba.com it says this:

How do I benefit from the reduced Tier Point requirement to upgrade or renew my membership? If you are eligible for a Tier upgrade under the reduced Tier Point or eligible flight requirement, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once the required number of Tier Points or flights have been credited to your account.

If you are eligible to renew your Tier under the reduced Tier Point or eligible flight requirement, there is no need to contact us. This will be processed automatically once your Tier Point collection year ends and you will receive an email from the Executive Club team to confirm this.

This implies the lower thresholds may be available for your current year. I will see if I can get confirmation from BA.
Jonnyboy1977 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I read the email and thought it was easy but having looked at this thread I'm now confused.
I have a Sept collection year end and have qualified for Silver this year which takes me through to Oct 21.
The email says "To say thank you for all your loyalty and support, we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Silver Executive Club membership.". A simple reading tells me that now takes me to Oct 22.
When it comes to renewal the email says "What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your Silver status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%." A simple reading of this would indicate that I'd be up for renewal in the year Sep 21-Sep 22 and that's when the 25% reduction would apply.

Now others are suggesting that I'm misreading that and that there is actually no added 12 months. This needs some clarification.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
What puzzles me does the -25 % discount for TP thresholds only apply to the current cycle or can I move up to GGL with a discounted threshold in 2021-2022 instead?
As this thread is now so busy and my post will probably be lost here, I decided to call the Club. Apparently my question is too delicate to be answered so soon by phone, so I now wrote a written inquiry online to the BAEC. Plus I doubt there's any peer assistance available here, since this is such a new policy.

Will post a follow-up here, once they reply, in case it assists someone else as well.
Jonnyboy1977 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: British Airways GCH
I had a June year end and was short of the amended tier point requirement for gold renewal. BA looked at my previous flying patterns and time at gold and very kindly renewed me at gold, expiring at June 2021.

Looking at my account it tells me I need 1500 points and 4 flights to renew. is this different to July onwards membership expiry? Will they only need 1125 points or will the 1125 points be applicable to June month end (and earlier) as well? Apologies if I missed the answer to this up thread, the thread is growing rapidly!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I think it's quite straightforward for the majority of people:

Take your current membership year end date and add 12 months to it. Your current status will automatically be extended to this date.

Tier point earning requirements for the remainder of your current membership year are unchanged from the normal levels.

Tier point earning requirements for your next full membership year are reduced by 25%.
WeiBen and DrGee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.