Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Whilst it hasn't been the quickest to action this extension vs lots of other airlines. I imagine BA were getting inundated with enquiries about individual status. That was obvious from the other original thread and therefore BA a) extended because of the obvious reasons (patience has paid off as per some posters recommendation) and b) I would guess this will going forward significantly reduce the amount of membership enquiries via calls, twitter, email etc.

The wording, in my interpretation, is clearly based on a system that automatically applies to a vast band of members within the criteria they have set out. This is undoubtedly much easier to BA to process and as I said, negates any further calls or contact from members who weren't sure what is happening. They now know where they stand. Now they can continue to cancel or book, knowing they have status.

As for lots of the individual valid and interesting questions (upthread), I would guess that if you were to contact BA directly about your status that doesn't fall within the general scope, I would hope BA would still look at these on a case by case basis and find a resolve for that individual, as it seems they were doing from the posters in the other thread. If they don't do this then theres the old saying, you can't please everyone.

Overall a positive step and nice to see a more positive thread too.

EDIT: There are some Q&A's on HeadforPoints which might help some. The answers are not set in stone as Raffles says.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
No, you will now get a one year extension to April 2022 (on top of the previous 30% reduction in earning requirements for last year).

March - May Y/E are doing pretty well out of this with two years running of reduced earning requirements, I have to say.

Sorry to be inordinately thick but please can anybody help! My silver expires in October but if all travel plans happen before then I should have 640 points; however between October and December I also currently have another (Covid permitting) another slew of trips that should earn another 590 points - does this mean that if all goes according to plan that I might be Gold by Christmas? Thank you
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA
not strictly, but the email is clear, i can retain ggl at redcued TPs
Ah, I see where we are at cross-purposes, I wrote achieving GGL meaning attaining, not retaining i.e. reducing the 5,000 tier point threshold to 3,750.

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by firstlight
It really seems a bit unclear.

My year end is August and I already qualified for gold until Aug 2021 (was aiming for ggl but never mind). Does this mean I'm gold until August 2022 and there is no need for me to fly BA until August 2021 at which point I should then start earning TPs again?
I think you get no benefit from this announcement unfortunately - you'll be Gold to Aug 2021 and will need to earn the 25% reduction in TPs to requalify in 2021.

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I disagree - they get the best of all worlds in my opinion
Indeed, from this BA release it would appear at first glance that it's the July's who don't benefit as much.

But ba haven't been great communicators lately, so we shall see.

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I wasn't aware you needed an excuse before
You know me too well! Haha!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Seems like the sensible move overall, but still leaves me wondering because the other half is soft-landing to Bronze at the end of the month - our [wedding] trip in July has been cancelled and that would have gotten her back to Silver... So is she allowed to appeal to that cancelled itinerary come May 2021, or in July when she would have been repromoted, or does that just not count and she's stuck with Bronze through dint of being in the three months they've spent sodding around...?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Great news!

And really good to get the 25% reduction for next years qualifying points. I think I'll attempt a massive TP run during the seven week grace period window that is between the reset date and the card expiry. Therefore I will remain Gold and once I've re-qualified will retain it for another 23 months. At least that is my understanding?!

Programs: BAEC Gold
Somebody has created a bit of a monster here. When I started on post 1 the thread was up to page 7, by the time I got to page 7 the end was at page 9.

As somebody who's collection year ends in July I am very happy, not least because I am short of points, and short of excuses why I am short of points. My only complaint is if this had been anounced on 4th July we might have been able to go down the pub to celebrate. Also, for me, the reduced TP requirements to retain gold is now at a level where a couple of ex EU holidays wil get you there.

I fear the tricky bit may be finding a flight to get on, and a country that will welcome you.

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by firstlight
It really seems a bit unclear.

My year end is August and I already qualified for gold until Aug 2021 (was aiming for ggl but never mind). Does this mean I'm gold until August 2022 and there is no need for me to fly BA until August 2021 at which point I should then start earning TPs again?
No, it means that you will be Gold until August 2021 (which you already earned), and you will only use the lower requalification requirements.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by squawk
Trying to get my head around this: I'm possibly overthinking it. I have received the email, where it says my Silver status has been extended 12 months.

I'm Silver with a collection year ending this July. Nowhere near requalifying, but because my status is valid until Aug 2021, that isn't an issue anyhow.

As my status is already valid to July 2021, what impact does this have for me? A generous reading of an automatic 12-month extension of current status would be that my regular (current) year would therefore end July 2021, and Silver status will therefore effectively be extended to (Aug) 2022 before a soft-landing to Bronze.

But this almost seems too good to be true.

Edit: I wonder whether it's worth creating a wiki to include simplified table of what this actually means in practice, for each expiring month this/next year (once there is clarity). Would save a lot of confusion!
I *think* I'm in the same boat? Could do with some help from the FT Geniuses please..

I received the email (subject: Something to make you smile, key content: "we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership. ")

My Collection year ends Nov 2020 but my card expiry date is currently 31 Dec 2021. Far too generous to extend this by 12 months, I'd imagine?

No changes on account anyhow.

Thanks in advance!

Update: This fast moving thread! I think posts 154 and 160 answer my dreamer Q...!

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Just received my email.
Great news.

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Apologies if this has been asked already.

Regarding the 25% reduction in tier points to go up a level, is the tier points ending date still the same or extended by a year? I'm assuming it isn't as 1,125 tiers within 2 years will lead to the first lounge being even more crowded!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Indeed, from this BA release it would appear at first glance that it's the July's who don't benefit as much.

But ba haven't been great communicators lately, so we shall see.
It would appear that June babies like me are the biggest winners....But ..... i haven’t received the email yet whereas my Gold nominee already has.
AdBoy likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by angelbud
Unfortunate for June tier point end members - they get nothing!
Huh?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.