Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
@ testycal ... agreed! Having spent a huge proportion of my working life either at MoD or CAA (in various roles) one thing was paramount. Clarity. (In addition to Concise and Correct).
My old boss used to have a sign on his desk which read "Nobody will ever complain because you have made something too simple to understand."

Marketing departments - and, hell government comms teams - the world over would benefit from remembering that.
T8191 and squawk like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bigwalrus
My date is 8 May 2020 and I ended on 100 TPs. Two return trips to Brazil from NCL on the cards in March and April...both knocked on the head due to CV19. Nothing was booked so I have no evidence, but I would have comfortably requalified at Silver.

And now I see my colleague, who was in a similar boat but with a July year end, retain his status. Something doesn't feel quite fair here.
I see the point you are making, but you got caught by having a peak time for travel at the wrong time, whereas your colleague fell on the other side of the great divide (assuming travel becomes easier from this point). By February BA was assuming you would have had about 500 TPs in the bag (assuming 50 TPs per month) and you were some way short. On the other hand should you get Silver soon, it's on the lower 450 TPs / 37 flights and keeps you Silver for 13 or more months. Your colleague would have to do something similar to renew.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
FCO's advice is indeed advice. I advise you never to drink alcohol. My advice will cut the appropriate amount of ice but is more grounded than the FCO's advice. In your case you benefit from getting Silver for another year until September 2021, which you had in the bag anyway assuming 4 eligible flights. So you benefit from being able to get Gold for 485 TPs between now and September, or 1125 after September, or simply staying as Silver with 450 TPs after September. Arguably a modest package but if you are a natural Silver it's more realistic than 600 TPs.
Got it, thanks. Not quite the bonanza I'd been led to believe (I hope Head for Points gets updated accordingly!), but there's definitely a bit of motivation to try to get gold. Especially for my husband actually, as his year ends in October so has a bit more time to do something about it.
​​​​​
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I see the point you are making, but you got caught by having a peak time for travel at the wrong time, whereas your colleague fell on the other side of the great divide (assuming travel becomes easier from this point). By February BA was assuming you would have had about 500 TPs in the bag (assuming 50 TPs per month) and you were some way short. On the other hand should you get Silver soon, it's on the lower 450 TPs / 37 flights and keeps you Silver for 13 or more months. Your colleague would have to do something similar to renew.
All makes sense. It's not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, but it may well be the last shot I had at Silver. Work travel for us is going to be dramatically cut for some time, but the benefits would have been useful for personal travel.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
My tier point year ends 8/7 and i am
currently at 2k TP, I got gold for first time around January this year and my card says gold expires in August 2021 - am I right in thinking that will change to August 2022? And I will only need 1200 ish TP for gold renewal between July 20 and July 2021?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nshep
My tier point year ends 8/7 and i am
currently at 2k TP, I got gold for first time around January this year and my card says gold expires in August 2021 - am I right in thinking that will change to August 2022? And I will only need 1200 ish TP for gold renewal between July 20 and July 2021?
So that's presumably 8 July 2020. Yes, so you are well over the Gold threshold, you certainly stay Gold until end of August 2021. I personally don't think you are Gold until August 2022, that's not my reading but I (and others) could be wrong. But you only need to do 1125 TPs between 9 July 2020 and 8 July 2021 to retain Gold. You could think about whether you want to go for GGL from next year.

As mentioned above it's important to separate renewal of your current status from status upgrades to make sense of this move by BA.
nshep and Burberries1 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
I thought I had it sussed until a friend told me different;

Does the reduced their point threshold apply to your current year?

I assumed not but the example on HfP suggests so (which would be great!).

BA Silver, currently on 1475 TP's ending in November'20 with 3,800TP's booked for next year. I'm assuming Silver until November and then I should make GGL+CCR next year? Unless I'm missing something obvious!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
So my girlfriend’s year ends May 21, no email.

Has she missed it? Seems harsh...
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
She has already had the 30% reduction this year though, right?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Will100
So my girlfriend’s year ends May 21, no email.

Has she missed it? Seems harsh...
What level is she currently? A May 2021 year end is in scope I think so she should be extended at the current level.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Hilton Diamond
My wife’s TP year ended 8th June and she got bumped up to Bronze based on her TP balance (240). As I understand it, she will now remain Bronze until June 2022?

My TP year ends 8th July. I currently have 470 TP and would have qualified under the deal relating to APR/MAY/JUNE year ends – BUT as I understand it, I will remain Silver for only 12 months from next month.

As such, I am essentially missing out on an additional 1 year extension simply because my TP year ends one month after my wife’s.

Am I interpreting this correctly?!!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by RG1X
Has anyone with a June expiry got any sort of email from BA? I assume they don't have the decency to tell us head on that we've missed out by sheer bad luck.

(Honestly I'd have been significantly less annoyed had they announced it next month as at least I'd have already lost gold by then)
Originally Posted by angelbud
No email and June tier point expiry, sadly just missing out on keeping gold after expiry next month - did they think we wouldn’t be bothered?
Yes, I have an 8th June anniversary date and I received the e-mail saying my status would be extended by 12 months at 11:17am this morning.

As far as I'm aware, everyone is getting extended.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
What level is she currently? A May 2021 year end is in scope I think so she should be extended at the current level.
Silver
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Will100
Silver
Correction. May this year
Old Jun 11, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm still slightly confused but I don't think this benefits me at all?

I achieved Gold by 08 Dec 2019 so have Gold until 31 Jan 2021 as it stands.
I got 1500TPs between 08 Dec 2019 and March 2020 so will qualify anyway for Gold again regardless and keep Gold until 31 Jan 2022 anyway.

So them extending my Gold from 31 Jan 2021 to 2022 I already have.

So the only change is I only need 1125TP (Not 1500) during 08 Dec 2020 - 08 Dec 2021 to keep Gold until 31 Jan 2023?

So congrats to the big winners here, sadly I am not one!

To the experts have I got the understanding correct?

Last edited by george77300; Jun 11, 2020 at 2:02 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.