Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
just read business traveler and april may and june may be excluded totally. So in that case April would be worst hit.
The BA website seems pretty clear it applies to everyone:

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021.”
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ao40
The BA website seems pretty clear it applies to everyone:

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021.”
I know, but this is BA.
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, separate out status upgrades from the time extension. It may also be helpful if anyone else is unsure to state what they ideally want to do so you can get advice as to how to do it.

If you do nothing:
You are Blue now, and you will renew as Blue in April 2021 (indeed it has a Lifetime Blue potential!).

If you aim for a status upgrade soon:
If you get to 225 TPs in the new few months you become Bronze. You will therefore renew as Bronze until April 2022. Or you could try for Silver at the lower threshold since that is perhaps going to be more achievable in the new few months if fares stay low. From April 2021 you currently would be also able to retain Bronze / Silver at the lower rates, but as with all these things, BA do have the right to revert back to higher thresholds and the chance of that happening grow over time. But the current wording suggests you are ok for 2021 in that respect.

If you aim for a status upgrade later
You are Blue now, renew as Blue in April 2021, you then target plenty of travel in May 2021, at the lower threshold levels, you then get Bronze or Silver middle 2021, you therefore get to April 2022 on your new higher leval and you continue at that higher level until April 2023 - tha latter aspect not being anything to do with the temporary extensions/thresholds.
So CWS, I’m reading conflicting interpretations in this thread. My year end is July, currently Blue. I don’t plan to fly anymore this year but my July 2021 threshold for silver will still be 450 TPs, is this correct?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:27 pm

I know, but this is BA.
*Members whose Tier Point collection end date was in May or June 2020, who did not meet the reduced qualification requirement for their Tier will have the 12-month extension applied to their new Tier once their current card expiry date has passed.

So if you had already re qualified with the new requirement, it would make no difference to you. Of you didn't you probably won't get an email until your card expires.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
My wife and I both received emails extending our status for 12 months but neither of the kids received emails extending theirs. Is there any reason to suspect this won’t apply to under 18s?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
So I renewed GGL/CCR in May 2020.
BA say that

The additional year does take your status to May 2022, and this does include your Concorde Room card.
For your collection year from 09th May 2022 to 08th May 2023 you would currently need to earn the full 3000 Tier points to maintain Gold Guest List and 5000 Tier points for your Concorde Room card as the lower Tier points are only for the 2020-2021 collection years.

So I am good to relax until May 2022 when I need to think what I want to do for 2023-24!

Nice.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zanderblue
yup, I am in same situation. I wonder how many more will be in this position?
Same! do we have confirmation that is the case?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
So CWS, I’m reading conflicting interpretations in this thread. My year end is July, currently Blue. I don’t plan to fly anymore this year but my July 2021 threshold for silver will still be 450 TPs, is this correct?
That's a yes.
TravelingZoomer likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
EDIT
just read business traveler and april may and june may be excluded totally. So in that case April would be worst hit.
I don't know why inaccurate blogs and sources are often considered more reliable than FT but that reading is a misunderstanding.
adrianlondon and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't know why inaccurate blogs and sources are often considered more reliable than FT but that reading is a misunderstanding.
That's what I thought.

It's the missing email from BA that is weird.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
So CWS, I’m reading conflicting interpretations in this thread
I think we just have to wait and see what actually happens when the changes are implemented.

I'm Bronze with 500 TPs plus 4 qualifying flights and a 8th July end date. I've seen conflicting reports as to what happens in my case, so I'm just going to wait it out. Either way, I'll be happy if I'm able to get Silver at all.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
I thought this would have been simple, but apparently not.

I am a GGL/CCR, with TP year expiry date 8 Mar 2021, and card expiry date 30 April 2021 (per the web site), having gained 5000+ TP by 8 Mar 2020. Since that date I have not flown at all (zero TP).

So what I thought would happen is:
  • My GGL/CCR status would be extended an extra year (to 30 April 2022).
  • It does not matter for status how many TP I collect until 8 Mar 2021, because I can't go up in status, and my status is extended by an extra year anyway.
  • It does matter for GUFs I collect until 8 Mar 2021 and the GUF thresholds are unchanged.
  • For the next year (until 8 Mar 2022) the thresholds to renew are reduced by 25%. So to renew CCR/GGL for example I will need to gather 3,750 (75% of 5,000) TP between 9 Mar 2021 and 8 Mar 2022 inclusive.
But then the complications:
  • I haven't got the email. Does this not apply to me? (No it's not in spam/junk/whatever)
  • Prior to 8 Mar 2020 my expiry date (I can see it on last year's printed card - don't have this year's) was already 8 Mar 2021 (due to the IT fiasco I think) - I'm not sure what it said on the web site. But the web site now says no different to what last year's extended date was. Could the reason be that I have not received the email that my expiry date is actually not between July 2020 and June 2021 (i.e. it already is 30 April 2022)? In that case it seems a bit unfair that I'm not getting the reduction in TP collection threshold!
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
As a further complication to all of this. I am sitting at 430 avios for my year. I booked a flight pre announcement (month ago) with Avios ie no TP given the uncertainties. IF and depending on what the announcement means in relation to the timeframe within which I need to be gaining TP I may miss silver status because I fail to reach 450 . I could have easily booked a cash flight.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
So the 12 month extension will be given at the end of my current membership year, depending on which level I've reached by then with the lowered thresholds, right?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by abligh
I thought this would have been simple, but apparently not.

I am a GGL/CCR, with TP year expiry date 8 Mar 2021, and card expiry date 30 April 2021 (per the web site), having gained 5000+ TP by 8 Mar 2020. Since that date I have not flown at all (zero TP).

So what I thought would happen is:
  • My GGL/CCR status would be extended an extra year (to 30 April 2022).
  • It does not matter for status how many TP I collect until 8 Mar 2021, because I can't go up in status, and my status is extended by an extra year anyway.
  • It does matter for GUFs I collect until 8 Mar 2021 and the GUF thresholds are unchanged.
  • For the next year (until 8 Mar 2022) the thresholds to renew are reduced by 25%. So to renew CCR/GGL for example I will need to gather 3,750 (75% of 5,000) TP between 9 Mar 2021 and 8 Mar 2022 inclusive.
But then the complications:
  • I haven't got the email. Does this not apply to me? (No it's not in spam/junk/whatever)
  • Prior to 8 Mar 2020 my expiry date (I can see it on last year's printed card - don't have this year's) was already 8 Mar 2021 (due to the IT fiasco I think) - I'm not sure what it said on the web site. But the web site now says no different to what last year's extended date was. Could the reason be that I have not received the email that my expiry date is actually not between July 2020 and June 2021 (i.e. it already is 30 April 2022)? In that case it seems a bit unfair that I'm not getting the reduction in TP collection threshold!
Your first thought would seem correct to me with the exception that the reduced requirement applies to you current year ending March 21. Please note the CCR is not included in your extra year, so if you didn't achieve the 3750 this year, you wouldn't get that perk next year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.