Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by DrGee
Now this is what is confusing. My current status is already extended in to the next collection year - current expiry is Oct 21. Does this mean that when BAEC say "we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Silver Executive Club membership" that isn't true?
Yes, you are not getting an "extra" year, you are just having your current status extended in to the next collection year. Given how important this topic is, I called BA to confirm the policy.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:22 am

After some clear thought,
I'm relatively pleased by this announcement. For me the only thing that could have been made better would have been carrying over TPs from this year into next (which would have benefited me better than the 25% reduction). But assuming things are returning to normla by end of 2020, I will have had a fair crack at using the status opportunity I have lost out on this year. And with my travel schedule, will probably be in with a shot of meeting the 75% reduction (maybe with a TP run thrown in). BUT this depends on things opening up in Dec-Jan. Any later, and the effectiveness of BA's strategy, for me at least, will be drastically deminished. But then again, the option will remain for BA to continue to alter thresholds in light of emerging events.

Long term the effectiveness of this strategy will depend on how quickly things return to normal, in terms of 1. GOV travel advice, 2. Other countries allowing mainly UK based passengers in, 3.future corporate and personal travel trends. And a large majority of this hinges on a vaccine or effective treatment, and we don't know the timescale for that.
But at least I and many others won't have to contemplate an ill advised TP run over the summer, which might risk spreading infections.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
i totally lost overview here.

can we confirm that for I (year ends April 21) need the reduced threshold(s) for THIS year (April 20 - April 21) ? or for NEXT year (April 21 - April 22) ?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I'm a tad confused. Maybe someone can clarify what this means to my situation.

My TP year ends 8 Jul. I was upgraded to Gold last month after I contacted Exec Club explaining that my then already cancelled flights would have had me move Silver to Gold mid June.

Today I received the email stating I would get a 12 month extension, so does that mean I'll keep Gold until Jul 22? There seems to be discussion on here debating whether that if you've achieved the required TP's you may not receive the extension?🤔
So Tobias' advice still holds good: you will be Gold on 7 July, 8 July and 9 July 2020; you get one more year (which you were going to get anyway....) to 8 July 2021 (actually end of August 2021). You can keep going to July 2022 by earning the reduced level of TPs in that 2020-2021 year.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Nephoi
i totally lost overview here.

can we confirm that for I (year ends April 21) need the reduced threshold(s) for THIS year (April 20 - April 21) ? or for NEXT year (April 21 - April 22) ?
Your current year ends April 2021. You get extended a year to April 2022. If you want to continue that membership beyond April 2022 you need the reduced level in the year leading up to April 2022.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, you are not getting an "extra" year, you are just having your current status extended in to the next collection year. Given how important this topic is, I called BA to confirm the policy.
Thanks for that. The problem for BA here is that their email is very misleading. I notice plenty on this thread are getting the wrong idea.

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
This is not the IT meltdown policy!
Is the principle not that same - albeit one year extension instead of two? Given BA's IT systems I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same methods as before.

If you know this is definitely not the case then it would be very useful to state this as it determines whether people focus any additional flying in their current or next membership year....

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Your current year ends April 2021. You get extended a year to April 2022.
in my case its not about requalification but about first time achieving GGL. do i need 3750 TP or 5000 in this current year? do you know that?
BosEuro likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:31 am

in my case its not about requalification but about first time achieving GGL. do i need 3750 TP or 5000 in this current year? do you know that?
What status do you have now, and how many TPs will you have by April 2021?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by KARFA
your gold card will be extended by one year, so will now expire on 31 July 2022.
Brilliant Mrs DorsetKnob, was never going to make Gold. She just got Gold as she met the reduced TPs for year ended 8th June, now she's gets it til 2022!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What status do you have now, and how many TPs will you have by April 2021?
now: Gold. (earned arount Christmas 2019 in the APril 19 to April 20 year)
by April 2021 - 4050 if everything works according to plan (i cancelled a TP run in July with 1060 TP - it would have been 5110 - if that matters)
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
The biggest news for non-EU based people is that they’re extending the non BA flight requirement.

Now I can do a simple SAN - LAX - PHL - JFK round trip which I needed to take anyone in J and I’m 10tp away from silver. 3 of these gets me gold.

Edit: This is not correct darn
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:38 am

now: Gold.
by April 2021 - 4050 if everything works according to plan (i cancelled a TP run in July with 1060 TP - it would have been 5110 - if that matters)
At the point you hit 3750 you get GGL + CCR, so long as you do it by April 2021. When you get to April you thus get extended by one year. In reality you don't actually get an "extension", since you would have got that anyway, but you do benefit from the reduced TPs.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:39 am

I'm somewhat disappointed by this. My gold status expires at the end of the month, and obviously because of how they've handled the dates, I wont get an extra year of gold.

I can't argue that I would have made gold had my flights not been cancelled, because I hadn't booked my tier point runs when this kicked off.

I'll be honest, extra year of silver or not, this puts me off sticking with BA in the future.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
1125 for Gold and 3750 for GGL do not seem bad,
I might try 1125 for Gold or force 3750 for GGL, after requalifying for my QRPC Platinum Status and return back to BAEC in 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.