Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
This could well be by design, as it'll get the high rollers flying and spending faster to get back to their high level status.

The rationale could be that the GGLs and so on all spend and fly so much they'll eventually get back on the horse and make all their targets again as usual, since they clearly have the means to do so.

Before everyone starts screaming, I am being fairly tongue in cheek .
This thought did occur to me and it actually convinces me (as a July year end who had already re-qualified), that since it's unlikely I will fly again until at least November (or at all), to just switch my flights to QR in the new year, which means I will probably end up spending a quarter of what I would do in a normal year.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
It naively seems to me that if BA wishes to encourage people who had previously spent more than average to continue doing so, giving them poorer outcomes may not be the best way to do that.
I think you're reading way too much into this. The poorest outcomes have been determined by month end not by picking those who have spent more than average in the past.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by golfmad
I think you're reading way too much into this. The poorest outcomes have been determined by month end not by picking those who have spent more than average in the past.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in the point I was making.

There is indeed a "cliff edge" effect between June and July as has been discussed at length in this thread.

However, that's not what I'm referring to above. I'm referring to the disparity of treatment between members who are attaining a new tier vs retaining an existing tier with the same collection year. As a cohort, the latter are likely to have spent more per capita in recent times (yes, the relationship between spend and TP is indirect, but across the body of members I don't think this is a controversial claim). Yet this group is not awarded the extension while the former is - a significant difference - and that seems to me a curious 'incentive'. Now, this could be deliberate on the part of BAEC but for the moment at least, I don't think it is. I'm still inclining towards the view that it arises from designing a policy where they didn't account for the internal handling of dates on new vs retained tiers.

Of course, the two aspects of their policy are not exclusive, hence why someone who retains their tier in July fares worst of all.

But to be clear I'm not suggesting that BAEC explicitly did design [1] a support program with the aim of poorer outcomes for members who had recently spent more, but I am observing that this seems to be the outcome of what they have put in place, and as such may not have the incentive value they originally hoped for.

[1] To the extent that it has been designed

ETA: Thinking on this further, I'm not convinced the differences due to year end are more significant than those due to starting tier. If we accept that the largest difference in outcomes due to collection year is between Jun and Jul, all else being equal then it seems that the difference in outcomes is essentially 12 months extra vs 0 months extra. In the case of different starting tiers, and again all else being equal then the difference in outcomes is the same at 12 months extra vs 0 months extra. But as I say above, I cannot know to what extent any of these factors actually did figure in the design - it is certainly possible that they are very aware of them all and simply decided to ride out any complaints that arose.
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Jul 27, 2020 at 3:03 pm Reason: Additional thoughts
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:15 am

Hi, all we had a few flights (5) cancelled prior to June and no tier point credit from BA, saying that as the new reduced levels apply, we couldn't have both, i.e the reduced qualification level and the tier point credit. So ok if thats the rule, but since June 20th we have had two more flights cancelled, one club Europe club world, the club work was due to fly in September just before collection year-end. Should we get credit for these and what's the best way to get do that?

The cancelled flights post-June 20th would have taken us to gold, and with no more opportunity to fly before the year end

Thanks

Hash
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Who have you contacted in BA? Just one other question. Would you have made gold at 1500 or the reduced threshold?

Originally Posted by hash
Hi, all we had a few flights (5) cancelled prior to June and no tier point credit from BA, saying that as the new reduced levels apply, we couldn't have both, i.e the reduced qualification level and the tier point credit. So ok if thats the rule, but since June 20th we have had two more flights cancelled, one club Europe club world, the club work was due to fly in September just before collection year-end. Should we get credit for these and what's the best way to get do that?

The cancelled flights post-June 20th would have taken us to gold, and with no more opportunity to fly before the year end

Thanks

Hash

Last edited by TTmex; Jul 28, 2020 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 28, 2020, 8:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think you will get any TPs actually credited for flights you have cancelled. I can assure you many of us have lost hundreds if not thousands of TPs from cancelled trips since March.

It also sounds like your collection year end is in September or October? What BA have done is look at these on a case by case basis at the year end point on request from a member. This is where the member is short of the threshold (in your case 1125) and the cancelled trips over the last few months would have taken them over the threshold. In these circumstances BA will effectively give you the status level as a gesture of goodwill rather than let you drop in your new year. So if I were you I would keep a record of cancelled trips and booking references, and approach BA at your year end to ask for this. You still won't get any TPs credited for those cancelled trips, but you may get given gold based on them.
hash likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:53 am

TTmex, I called ba today, they said to wait till post-September 8th, we would have made it the reduced level, but if they had taken into account the canceled flights prior to June we would be gold already

thanks
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond
Just mafe Gold today

I just posted 1.125 TPs today and my account states "Gold Achieved" but my App still shows a silver card. Any idea when the App will update to Gold?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by hash
TTmex, I called ba today, they said to wait till post-September 8th, we would have made it the reduced level, but if they had taken into account the canceled flights prior to June we would be gold already

thanks
When time is right, contact via www.ba.com/esupportingdocs and fill out claim for missing points. That connects directly to the people responsible. I had 0 luck with phone or twitter teams.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
I just posted 1.125 TPs today and my account states "Gold Achieved" but my App still shows a silver card. Any idea when the App will update to Gold?
Normally 2 days
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't think you will get any TPs actually credited for flights you have cancelled.
Correct, my cancelled flights were taken into account for my status, but of course I didn't earn Tier Points or Avios. I was grateful at the fact the cancelled flights were taken into account.

Absolutely keep a record of the booking references (and perhaps the ticket numbers to be on the safe side), because even a month and a half after the cancellations, they had trouble finding my bookings.

Originally Posted by FlyingWelshie
It usually changes over in a day or two, don't worry
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Despite notes on my file to say i’ll be renewed as gold after my june 8th collection year end, on August 1st I was demoted to silver.

I’m flying home from IST tonight so I’ll be a few avios short too.

i’ll call up in a few days. You think I’m sill allowed to call the gold line?
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: BA silver
I have been one of the unlucky ones in that my year end is June. I did get a bit fed up when I saw someone with a july date with no cancelled flights and no tier points getting to keep silver. I did have tier points but a little below what was needed. Now I am Bronze for the first time in many years.
OH got his silver renewed but his date is November. i travel with him so I dont suppose it will make much difference.
Just waiting for my third holiday this year to be cancelled and that is CW to Chicago and back through New Orleans. At this rate I will be blue next!
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze
So just been upgraded to silver for the first time (I used to have a Caledonian Lion Club badge, not sure that qualifies for DYKHIA?), have noted that my card now expires Nov 2022 which is very welcome as reading the above (well some of it!) I assumed I would only get the silver for the one year after this year ends..i.e. Nov 2021 Is this a change in policy?).

Last edited by Giblets; Aug 3, 2020 at 9:39 am
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
So I finished last week on 755 - and my card says Gold until 31 Jul 2020

Will I get a bonus year of silver (urgh) or am I being retained at Gold ?!
Originally Posted by Mike P
I'm guessing, unfortunately, as you didn't meet the reduced tier point requirements to retain Gold, you will be getting a bonus year of Silver.
Indeed I got a shiny new Silver card and lost my Gold... expires 31/07/2022

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.