Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by s1362083
Are you sure CCR is awarded at the lower threshold? I'd understood that CCR is a one of the Gold benefits (e.g. Upgrade vouchers) which do not benefit from reduced thresholds, whereas GGL (and associated benefits like partner cards) do benefit from it.
CCR does benefit from reduced thresholds, GUF do not.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Can I please clarify earning requirement.

Due to COVID-19 my wife is now Silver - tier points collection year ends 8th January 2021.

I know that Silver is carried over to 28th Feb 2022.

However it also says that to maintain Silver she requires 450 even though it is carried over. So not applicable, I guess.

My question therefore is in the next year 2021/22 will Silver be 450 and Gold 1125 or will it be back to normal?

The way the BA site is written suggests it is a one off.
It is my understanding that your wife will not need to re-qualify for the year ending 8th Jan 2021 (this is the extension) and will carry her Silver status until End of Feb 2022. The reduced qualification levels will apply to her on 8th Jan 2022. If she has the reduced number of tier points for a specific level on that date, she will attain that level. So it does apply, but at the end of the extension. Does that help?

rb211.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AJA_
Correct. Although if your Tier Points reset on 8 April your Silver status will be valid until 31 May 2022. Take a look at the graphs in the wiki at the top of this thread.
I requalified for Gold on Aug 09 but my account says that my card expires sept 2021 so no sign of the 12 month extension. It states i need 1125 points to requalify. Is this an error? Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
I requalified for Gold on Aug 09 but my account says that my card expires sept 2021 so no sign of the 12 month extension. It states i need 1125 points to requalify. Is this an error? Thanks
Not according to BA. Their position is that if you requalify at your existing level, you don't get the benefit of the extension. You do indeed need 1125 TP by Aug 8th 2021 to retain Gold after end Sep 2021.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You did get your extension as your expiry was extended from 30 sept 2020 to 3 sept 2021.

unfortunately you get no further extension on the basis you also requalified, effectively the extension is the year you would have got anyway.

EDIT: maybe BA got wind of your cunning plan https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32447125-post95.html
jcatman likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Not according to BA. Their position is that if you requalify at your existing level, you don't get the benefit of the extension. You do indeed need 1125 TP by Aug 8th 2021 to retain Gold after end Sep 2021.
That seems a little unfair! Why write to tell me i'm getting a 12 month extension when i didn't get a single day!!!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:24 pm

That seems a little unfair! Why write to tell me i'm getting a 12 month extension when i didn't get a single day!!!
Many people have wondered exactly that....

By all means complain, but don't expect to get anywhere, they seem absolutely steadfast in their position.

If you'd started your year as a Silver or lower, you'd have gotten the extension until Sep '22. Go figure!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Many people have wondered exactly that....

By all means complain, but don't expect to get anywhere, they seem absolutely steadfast in their position.

If you'd started your year as a Silver or lower, you'd have gotten the extension until Sep '22. Go figure!
I've duly complained. The lady I spoke too agreed that she thought it should apply to me but her manager couldn't confirm if it did or not so the 'loyalty team' will look into it and contact me. Not hoping for anything but hopefully weight of numbers complaining might lead to a change of heart. I don't believe that for one second but you can always hope!
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:39 pm

I just qualified for Silver and got the extension. October 2022 is my expiry date now.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by James91
I just qualified for Silver and got the extension. October 2022 is my expiry date now.
Congrats! Was this a promotion to silver or a requalification?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:48 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
The BA granted extension was for those who, given the circumstances, were unable to re-qualify.
You were able to re-qualify, therefore did not require any additional extension. Just think of the TPs you've gained, that many of us haven't ;-)
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
The BA granted extension was for those who, given the circumstances, were unable to re-qualify.
You were able to re-qualify, therefore did not require any additional extension. Just think of the TPs you've gained, that many of us haven't ;-)
Hopefully they are so understanding when i fail to requalify this year!
orbitmic and Tocsin like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Meh
Hopefully they are so understanding when i fail to requalify this year!
I am in the same position. Not a hope of re-qualifying given where I normally and given the health situation.
Will be interesting to see what they do.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:18 am

That seems to be the official line they are now taking. However, even if that was their intent it doesn't match the implementation or the communications.

- Nowhere in the original email is this caveat mentioned, nor have there been any follow up communications to the membership body as a whole to state this.
- Plenty of people made a tier in their in their own right and were granted the extension (lots of examples in this very thread)
- The arbitrary date selection leads to a "cliff edge" effect . A June member is deemed to be incapable of reaching any TP target in 20-21 as they have been extended into '22, but a July member with only a few weeks more opportunity to fly is deemed capable of reaching 75% of their normal target. Even though 2 months in, they are operating, what, maybe 20-30% of their schedule?

As MrCheapSeats alludes to, if the intent is only to "help those who couldn't manage on their own", then they will be actually encouraging some people not to hit their TP targets if they are willing to bet on another extension with the same criteria. After all, their implementation didn't distinguish those who genuinely failed to meet a level due to lost opportunity and those who simply didn't fly much with BA.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Without wishing to re-hash this argument again, I am going to re-hash the argument again.

The email from BA (to all, requalified or not) was clear that there would be an extra year "on us". That didn't happen, unless for some of us they really did mean "on us" rather than "on BA"

The opportunity to earn TPs has fallen off a cliff for most of BA's BAEC members - more and more of whom are realising that they've been sold a duff discount on thresholds as every 8th of the month passes.

Finally, I have now realised that BertieBadger has summarised this above, far more eloquently than I have
orbitmic, KARFA and Tocsin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.