Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ExAbz
I wasn't so fortunate. July collection end, was silver and had cancelled flights in March\Apr that would have renewed and a further big earning trip in July, just after collection end but within the normal 2 week "grace" period, that was also cancelled which would have got me to gold.

After the 1 year extension was pushed to all I got the extension to 31 Aug 2021, and then around the end of June I requested BAEC look at my cancelled flights with a view to credit the TP's. This was successful so have gold, but no further extension of date, so still expiring Aug 2021 with very little likelihood of being able to use the gold benefits. Happy to get the new tier, especially as I've been refunded on all the flights so effectively has the TP's for free, trying hard not to be miffed about those who have much longer extensions.

TL; DR; my tier upgrade, via discretionary TP's for cancelled flights, did not get a further date extension.
Not wanting to run salt in the wounds, my friend was silver with trips booked to get him to Gold and a May renewal. Trips were cancelled so I asked him to ask if they’d give him Gold.. They said no in an email, but on his renewal hE went to Gold then got a years extension with the rest of us so 2 years Gold.
Giblets likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: Ba gold, gha black
At this rate BA might need to extend status for the next 2-3yrs.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by copenhagenBA
At this rate BA might need to extend status for the next 2-3yrs.
I would be more worried about BA still existing in the next 2-3 years...
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Giblets
So just been upgraded to silver for the first time (I used to have a Caledonian Lion Club badge, not sure that qualifies for DYKHIA?), have noted that my card now expires Nov 2022 which is very welcome as reading the above (well some of it!) I assumed I would only get the silver for the one year after this year ends..i.e. Nov 2021 Is this a change in policy?).
Not a change in policy, no. (Well, not as such - many will question whether the outcome actually is a policy or mere accident )

Members who are upgrading a tier should get the extension. Based on experiences reported in this thread, that appears to happen regardless of whether the upgrade happened before BA processed all the expiry updates or afterwards. We know that when a member upgrades BA adjusts their expiry date there and then - adding 1 year - presumably so that in normal times the member immediately sees that they will enjoy their new tier for the rest of their current year and all of the following year. And from what has been reported, they are still doing exactly that by examining the expiry date and 'blindly' adding 1 year to it.

So in your case your timeline would have been something like:

May: Expiry is Nov 2020
Jun: Expiry becomes Nov 2021 as BA processes changes for extension
Now: Expiry becomes Nov 2022 as BA adds 1 year to your current expiry as you have upgraded a tier.

This is consistent with how it would have been processed if you had upgraded before the extensions were applied, just the last two steps would have been reversed but each would individually add 1 year, so same outcome.

If you had started the year as a Silver and simply retained that level (whether retaining before or after the extensions were processed) then you wouldn't have gained the extra year and you would stay at Nov 2021. So you're definitely one of the winners here
orbitmic and Giblets like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
I would be more worried about BA still existing in the next 2-3 years...
I think BA is too big to fail. The government will bail them out one way or another.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think BA is too big to fail. The government will bail them out one way or another.
I can't remember how many times I have heard that argument, but let's say that for every 10 companies I have heard it about, 2 or 3 were only a fond memory a few years later...
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by BertieBadger

May: Expiry is Nov 2020
Jun: Expiry becomes Nov 2021 as BA processes changes for extension
Now: Expiry becomes Nov 2022 as BA adds 1 year to your current expiry as you have upgraded a tier.
I haven't kept up with this thread after deducing in the early days that I was not a winner in this policy, but I'd missed what happens if you upgrade a tier after the June 12 month extension. My situation is this:
May: Silver Expiry is Feb 2021
Jun: Silver Expiry becomes Feb 2022 as BA processes changes for extension
Collect 1125 TPs before 8 Jan 2021: Expiry becomes Feb 2023 as BA adds 1 year to your current expiry as you have upgraded a tier. And so retain Silver until Feb 2024.

I must be missing something, because this seems too good to be true! Can someone confirm?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s1362083
I haven't kept up with this thread after deducing in the early days that I was not a winner in this policy, but I'd missed what happens if you upgrade a tier after the June 12 month extension. My situation is this:
Collect 1125 TPs before 8 Jan 2021: Expiry becomes Feb 2023 as BA adds 1 year to your current expiry as you have upgraded a tier. And so retain Silver until Feb 2024.

I must be missing something, because this seems too good to be true! Can someone confirm?
this seems consistent with post 1853 and some of the posts after that.

So you have already had your extension and card expiry then showed as 28 Feb 2022 (1 year more than your normal card expiry of 28 Feb 2021).
You then upgrade (not renew)
As part of that upgrade process the system just does "add 1 year to current expiry date" as would be normal for an upgrade, so that takes you to 28 Feb 2023.
orbitmic and BertieBadger like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:48 am

I cannot confirm that will be the outcome as BAEC could change the way they do the processing, but based upon the reports we have seen so far when you upgrade a tier, BA appear to be taking whatever your current expiry is and sticking one year on it even if you have already had 1 year added on via the extension process.

So your scenario seems entirely feasible to me.

If you look back to post 1853 you will see Sam Lewis reporting essentially the same thing, they went from Bronze to Silver after the extension was applied and got the extra year, just the same as Giblets recent post. I see no reason why the same logic would not apply with a move from Silver up to Gold, giving an expiry of Feb 2023, and with your soft landing, seems that you would retain Silver until Feb 2024. Your position seems to me to be the same as the other posters, albeit with a collection year a few months later on, which pushes your expiry into 2023.

There is a very broad range of possible outcomes with the policy that BAEC have put in place, but this would seem to be one of the best ones
s1362083 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by KARFA
this seems consistent with post 1853 and some of the posts after that.

So you have already had your extension and card expiry then showed as 28 Feb 2022 (1 year more than your normal card expiry of 28 Feb 2021).
You then upgrade (not renew)
As part of that upgrade process the system just does "add 1 year to current expiry date" as would be normal for an upgrade, so that takes you to 28 Feb 2023.
Thanks for confirming. That's massive!

If I'm allowed to travel to Russia and Colombia before June then I have this in the bag...
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:19 am

If I'm allowed to travel to Russia and Colombia before June
Typo for Jan I assume? (Your original post seems to recognise the need to hit Gold before Jan 8th)

Hopefully you get the chance. As noted, BA could change the way they do the processing of tier upgrades to take account of people who have had extensions but they haven't done so to date, and my guess would be that they won't in the future.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Typo for Jan I assume? (Your original post seems to recognise the need to hit Gold before Jan 8th)

Hopefully you get the chance. As noted, BA could change the way they do the processing of tier upgrades to take account of people who have had extensions but they haven't done so to date, and my guess would be that they won't in the future.
You're right, I meant Jan!

And you're right... no-one can confirm that it will play out exactly like this, but I just wanted confirmation that I wasn't being hopelessly optimistic
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum

Don't bank on it definitely happening. My wife was upgraded to silver due to cancelled flights and her expiry year didn't change. She had already had bronze extended, but silver did not add an extra year.
s1362083 and BertieBadger like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello!

I'm a Sept year end, and re-qualified for Silver back in Dec for the 2019-2020 collection year. My card expiry is still showing as Oct 2021 though - so have I not been extended? Or was it a pointless extension in that I'd earned the points for it anyway?

Hopefully this is academic, I'm at 1090 TP and should get to the 1125 threshold in a couple of weeks, hopefully to 2022!

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2020, 9:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Editor
Hello!

I'm a Sept year end, and re-qualified for Silver back in Dec for the 2019-2020 collection year. My card expiry is still showing as Oct 2021 though - so have I not been extended? Or was it a pointless extension in that I'd earned the points for it anyway?

Hopefully this is academic, I'm at 1090 TP and should get to the 1125 threshold in a couple of weeks, hopefully to 2022!

Thanks!
you have had your extension as you card expiry was 31 Oct 2020 and is now 31 Oct 2021.

you are correct that you would have got that extra year if you renew in your current year anyway.
The_Editor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.