Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by thegreatmrsj
Yes seems that the same applies to the year end 8-June as well unless I have misread it. Lets hope they go back and recognise that April - June flyers were significantly impacted as well
BA decided 8 April / May / June 2020 year-end BAEC members would get a 30% threshold reduction to acquire status - through a time when more or less zero travel was possible. If failed to acquire, enjoy your new lower tier status!
Those from 8 July onwards disproportionately benefit.
Standard BA business.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by angelbud
Totally agree very inconsistent for May/June expiry’s
however, person A would have benefited from a 30% reduction (so needed 1050 for gold) - and if person A had cancelled flights in their account, I understand they could have included the tier points from those cancelled flights on a case by case basis (only needed the 50 points in that case). So perhaps person A could have called BA if they indeed had planned further flights and get their status upgraded and then extended again automatically in May 2021.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:27 am

I am getting confused by this thread now. I read the email and the parts on the website as stating the 'free' extension part starting at the point of your next tier point collection date e.g. November 2020. That means you keep what ever level you are on now until that date and then they will extend it to November 2021.

At your next tier collection date, you will then start on your renewal for the following year as if it was normal to build up your tier points for it, except they are giving 25% reduction at that point. So in the November example, the period of 9th November 2020 to 8th November 2021 you just have to meet the respective levels to get it renewed to November 2022.

So again using the example above, you do not need to do anything until November 2020 and just start work on it from there. This makes the most sense from what they stated anyway...
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've re-read the email again and I am now totally confused as a July member.

It seems to say that even if I had earned 0 TPs this year, I would be renewed at GGL for another year, to July 2021.

However, actually I have earned enough TPs to re-qualify, but still end up with the same "extension" to July 2021.

Is my reading correct? I have written to the GGL team for clarification but it seems like a lose-lose from where I'm sitting
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:31 am

Blimey, this thread has gone faster than Typhoid Mary.

H
Kgmm77, crazyarmadillo and James91 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OK, I think I’ve got it. OH and I get lucky.
9 May 20 ... TP 0 having renewed Gold.
8 May 21 ... TP requirement reduced, but Gold anyway until 8 May 22.

Now waiting for ... Jersey to move to our Level 2 restrictions (travel permitted), BA to restore JER flights, and nice warm countries opening their Borders to UK pax! Might our booked ANU and CPT trips happen? Could we slot in a cheeky PUJ somewhere, now the DR seems to be opening up again and BA is operating?

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning ... Winston Churchill
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Hopefully someone will be able to clarify this for me.

I am currently Blue with a renewal date of April 2021. So if I get 225 tier points by April, I will qualify for Bronze?

The only criticism I have is that I haven’t been able to fly in April, May, June or July 2020 so the thresholds should have been a bit lower than 225, maybe staying at 210. Would they be flexible if I got 215?

But well done BA!
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by roked
I am getting confused by this thread now. I read the email and the parts on the website as stating the 'free' extension part starting at the point of your next tier point collection date e.g. November 2020. That means you keep what ever level you are on now until that date and then they will extend it to November 2021.

At your next tier collection date, you will then start on your renewal for the following year as if it was normal to build up your tier points for it, except they are giving 25% reduction at that point. So in the November example, the period of 9th November 2020 to 8th November 2021 you just have to meet the respective levels to get it renewed to November 2022.

So again using the example above, you do not need to do anything until November 2020 and just start work on it from there. This makes the most sense from what they stated anyway...
This is also my reading of the e-mail. Not sure where people get ideas of 2 year extensions. The last cohort to receive an extension will be those whose membership year ends in June 2021 (so their statutes will be extended until June 2022).
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by roked

Yes, you've got that right. Whatever status you have on the last day of your current collection year that status will be renewed for the next collection year - even if you didn't collect the required TPs for that renewal. You will then need to earn the required TPs to renew for the next year but at the 25% reduced rate.

You are not getting an "extra" year, you are just having your current status extended in to the next collection year.

Programs: BA GFL GGL/CCR, VS Lifetime Gold
There are two still things I am unclear about.

I have been GGL/CCR for 5 years. I currently have 2600 TPs with a August 2020 end date.

I understand I renew GGL, but I still see no clear answer if you keep CCR?

In August I renew GGL, but do you get two new jokers?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps I have missed it, but this "new" announcement of a six month extension to vouchers............is it the 6 months that they already did a few months ago, or is an ADDITIONAL six months on top of that? I hope it is the latter as the extension already given has already effectively been run out, or will be due to the situation?...
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Not really:
Person A, BA Gold: has earned 1000TPs for year-end 8 May. Drops to Silver, is Silver to 2022.
Person B, BA Gold: has earned 10TPs for year-end 8 July. Remains Gold to 2022.

Fair? Nope! If BA had acted immediately, as did other carriers, it would be consistent across the board.
I didn’t mention anything about fairness! That’s in the eye of the beholder. I mentioned consistency. BA extended the status you both hold.

I say that as someone with a May month end who dropped down a tier and got extended that “lower“ status. There are always winners and losers whatever the approach and there is still somewhat of a future incentive with the reduced targets, although for reasons I stated above I don’t think they will actually make much difference given how difficult and unenjoyable travel will still be for the foreseeable.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I've added a wiki at the head of the thread for collating additional FAQs that have been answered upthread. Please feel free to add to the knowledge base.

One scenario, which I think will be common to quite a few of us here, is this one from a family member :

Existing Silver, year end 8 Oct 2020. Already has 850 TPs, so has already requalified for Silver and was shooting for Gold.
From my understanding : if the member continued to collect TPs and did reach 1,500 by Oct 8 2020, then they would (as would be normal), attain Gold until Oct 2021 and then also get a year extension of Gold from Oct 2021 to Oct 2022.
And the number of TPs to be collected between Oct 2021 and Oct 2022 to renew Gold in Oct 2022 would be 1,125.

Is that correct ?
I've got a similar question. I'm gold, my TP year ends Sept 8th and i currently have 1,320 TP. As I understand it, at present my gold membership will be extended to Sept 2021 (card to Oct 2021). But, if I get to 1,500 before Sept 8th, will I be extended to 2022?
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Yes, you've got that right. Whatever status you have on the last day of your current collection year that status will be renewed for the next collection year - even if you didn't collect the required TPs for that renewal. Once you start the next collection year (2021/2022) you must earn TPs to renew but at the 25% reduced rate.
What about the remainder of your current year? Does the 25% reduction apply to that as well as the next year?

​​​​​my year end is November. Does that mean if I hit 3750 this year I get GGL and then next year I only need 2250 to retain for the following year?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:43 am

I cannot lie. I'm relieved. It makes the banging on on these forums the past couple of months, and annoying some people in the process, worth it.

I hope in some way this forum has helped BA management make the right call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.