Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sep 2023 : BA launch new Ozwald Boateng uniforms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2023, 1:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is somewhat tricky in JFK T8, since BA and AA staff work alongside each other, and so if you are in the First check-in area with a BA booking, it can take a while to work out who can do the passport scan.

The uniform is warming on me somewhat, with time. The BA crew member playing basketball in the Flying Start video is a real life IFL, and so I've seen him in both uniforms now, and the new uniform strikes me as the more professional, more business like version. I'm not entirely convinced but I am moving over.
SpeedbirdLHR and msm2000uk like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Uniform appearance is low on my list of air travel priorities but, for what it's worth, I like the new BA uniform. Clearly a minority view
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Uniform appearance is low on my list of air travel priorities but, for what it's worth, I like the new BA uniform. Clearly a minority view
I with you on this, it’s not brilliant but I like it. Despite what many people think, the JM uniform wasn’t perfect and had its own issues and not everyone looked good in it.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 6:18 am

Feel like I can give my opinion on this now I’ve seen it quite a bit in the flesh.

There are some really nice subtleties in both the men’s and women’s uniform - but I think it’s overwhelmed by that awful cheap-looking navy blue.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
Has anyone got a picture of the apron?
From the official photoshoot:

I had a proper look at my wife's apron. I should preface this that, unlike her husband, she's one who takes extremely good care of her outfits and isn't as prone as I am to douse herself in condiments, WD-40 splotches and such like... but that apron does seem to be very hard to clean. I mean, if something gets on it, it just won't go away, not even after a lot of washing. It also looks like the sort of material that attracts dust and other bits. All in all, not great.

The women shirts too, it has to be said, are poor. Again my OH, on her first day of wearing the new uniform, had barely gotten out of the house that she was cat-called by some builders. She'd gotten our in her shirt sleeves as it was a warm day. Never, never, happened with her Julien Macdonald uniform. She got back inside, wore a t-shirt under the new blouse, and has been wearing one ever since. Her underwear on that day wasn't something out of Victoria's secret either, I should add. So, not a good start. The shirt quality, too, is bad. They're already getting a bit scruffy (and, again, she's the kind of person who still had the J-Macs from 10+ years ago in mint condition!) and she's getting quite a rash on her collarbones which seem to appear only when she wears the uniform in hot weather. Apparently it seems to be happening.

Design-wise, apart from the dress which she finds 'humiliating', she's getting used to it, but there's some serious quality flaws. Shirts for the ladies and ties for the men, apparently, are the worst offenders.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by 13901; Nov 25, 2023 at 7:30 am
Old Nov 25, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: QF WP
Thanks 13901 my Google fu failed me
13901 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 2:04 pm

On recent flights, I couldn't really see any major difference in the male uniform, the female blue dress however looks like it was knocked up for Ł5 max and has zero style. Despite it being over a month since the launch one crew member was still wearing the old uniform, I suspect they don't have one available yet for her.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:18 pm

On my trips to date, I have seen a real broad spectrum of the uniforms on staff. The more I see them, the more I accept/like them and are a very modern design. The more I look at the previous design, it really does feel dated. There are some minor design flaws that I think need to be addressed.

1. Flight crew hats. Yuk.

2. The collar of the women's white blouse. I do find it inconsistent for many staff as many don't have one that properly fits as they tend to be large.

I don't really understand the big issue on the aprons either. Then again I have only mostly seen women wearing them and only one guy. He was of a good athletic build but he did tie it in a non standard way, but you really had to look as it was not really that noticeable.

On a recent flight where I began a conversation with two female cabin crew. They said they were not bothered about it but didn't feel it was anything special. One pointed out a major fault in the design and when I asked if she fed it back to the company to be resolved she said she hadn't. When I challenged her on why, she was like "oh I dont know".
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:30 pm

I have heard that such is the opposition to the new uniforms that there is to be an immediate introduction of yet a new version:
flybymonkey likes this.

Last edited by golfmad; Nov 25, 2023 at 5:47 pm Reason: Reduced the image size
Old Nov 25, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: None
Really Miss BA's Julien MacDonald Uniform - Bring It Back, BA, Please

As a firm advocate of smartly dressed, stylish female cabin crew, I am really missing BA's Julien MacDonald uniform. Like most people, I do NOT like the new female crew uniform at all - especially those dull, drab dresses, which have now earned the rather disfavourable title of "The Dinner Lady Look".

Now I know I am bound to get the odd fan of the Boateng uniform who will disagree with me and say that the JMac uniform was old and needed changing - neither of which, of course, I agree with - but even so, I can certainly tak comfort from the fact that the vast majority of people agree with me. The Julien Mac uniform was timeless, and so elegant. And the crew really stood out in it. But they do not in this new Boateng uniform, sadly.

So if any BA managers are reading this message, please bring back the Julien Mac uniform, as most people want it back. They do NOT like the new uniform, branding is as a "disappointing downgrade."
RJD1983, Bongodog1964 and ExpatExp like this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:10 pm

Not sure where you're getting the idea that "most people" prefer the Julien MacDonald uniform from. The JM uniform was dated, frumpy and tired.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:13 pm

I’m remotely not interested/completely oblivious as to what the staff are wearing if I’m honest but it matters to some.

and as for BA managers reading this and bringing something back (said in jest I assume) when they’ve just changed the uniform you’ve more chance of getting a happy black cab driver when you tell him you want to go to Cranford from T5.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
The issues being raised sound no different to the first year or 2 of the JM uniform. The key difference is that the current uniform was launched in one go where as the JM came in over an extended period as you collected the uniform and the mass use of smartphones and numerous online forums.

The JM ladies shirt was a major discussion point due to the fit on those who were well blessed. It also was revealing when it came to what was worn under. There was an issue with the red on the shirts, having a tendency to leave the shirt with a slightly pink look after washing. This was either due to a particular batch or was sorted when it was identified.

The material on the JM uniform was not the best quality. It was extremely thin and not suited for winters. Try being a dispatcher or a customer team member in the T4 days when one of the team had to be at aircraft side when doing remote arrivals or departures!!! The “winter coat” was useless.

The male trousers was known to wear easily on the inner thigh. Again, this issue seemed to stop over time.

From a ground staff perspective, the jackets were possibly one of biggest issues. They were not designed for movement and many often had the stitching rip on the sleeve simply by reaching for items.

Despite the issues, people grew to like the JM uniform, even those who held out the longest to not wear it.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There’s a lot more things I, and possibly most on this board, want bringing back more than the uniform
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DXB2745
I’m remotely not interested/completely oblivious as to what the staff are wearing if I’m honest but it matters to some..
Indeed. I've flown on many airlines over the years and can't say I remember what any of their uniforms were like. I do admit to remembering one beautiful TAM female cabin crew member who had a very tight fitting pair of trousers on though.
Greenpen, TedToToe and DXB2745 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.